Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 2nd September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: E520 - stick, wait or upgrade now?

Ok. I see that there is a Pansonic m43 12-60mm lens too prices at about 400. I suppose that is also an option. Don't know if anyone knows anything about it. It would probably give better portrait results than the kit 40-150mm used at mid range, at a guess.
Old 2nd September 2016

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

The Panasonic 12-60 is a small and light lens with image stabilisation built in (for Panasonic cameras). It has had mixed reviews and while it is OK as a handy lens for holiday usage it's nowhere near the same quality as the Lumix and Olympus f2.8 zooms. (I recently bought one from Mathers for 297 as it was unboxed and detached from its normal camera kit.)

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 2nd September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

OK, then if I do go the M10 mk11 route, then I either use the 40-150mm lens as a portrait lens (I'm guessing it's ok but no morethan that) or get the sigma 60mm prime or the Olymolus 75mm prime or the 12-60 SWD (which is quite heavy looking but has got lots of options in use).
Old 2nd September 2016

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post

I am leaning towards the m10 mk11, as I think the pancake looks like it would be fabulous for 3 purposes - unobtrusive pics at family gatherings, long walks (little weight to carry) and city walks - easy to point and shoot quick before people get in the shot. The other kit lens (40-150) will just be a bonus, but will get a little use. If what I read is correct, I may use the pancake a lot for these reasons, even if I do get a fancier pro zoom.
Weight is important. I do walk a lot and sometimes longish distances. I don't see it as much advantage in having heavier cameras that maybe fractionally better over lighter ones that do things excellently anyway. My back is important to me and plays up if I mistreat it.

I am thinking that sometimes you just want one lens that stays on nearly all the time...say when you are out with family and want to shoot places and people. I am forever swapping lenses to take portraits as it is.

Another option for family outing type days is just to use the pancake (backed up by the 9-18 when needed) and don't bother with a fancier zoom purchase, but use a standard portrait lens for those times I expect to do portraits too. I don't know the sigma 60mm...will check it out as an option. I did look at the Oly 75mm...but it's very heavy and I walk a lot on family outings so it is not what I want.
I have the pancake 14-42mm EZ fitted on my E-M10 MkII as a "body cap" (with the LC-37C automatic lens cap). Super little lens, the closest focus distance of 0.2m makes it quite useful for close ups too. I think this would be an excellent starting point for you. If you have back problems etc. you will find the move to micro 4/3rds liberating.

Here are some of my posts of shots using this lens.
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42892

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42884 (first three shots.)

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41785

All developed from raw using DxO Optics Pro.

If you are thinking of a portrait prime lens consider the little Olympus mZ 45mm f1.8 portrait lens. Although not a "premium" lens it performs well above what you would expect for the price and must be the best bargain in the Olympus lens range.

Here's a portrait using this lens on my E-M5 (Mk I)

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 2nd September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Funny you should say that. ..I was just looking at the 45mm. It's probably a better focal length than the 60mm sigma anyway...and cheaper and much lighter. Could put this in the bag and hardly notice. Weighs about the same as a handful of filters!

Thanks for the thoughts and the pics! I enjoyed them.

I don't find 40 to 150mm lenses good for portraits...too big and not enough light or as easy to focus.

I used to use a Tamron 135mm on my OM2s which was nice though I had to stand back a bit.

Although more of a landscape fan, a good portrait lens is very disirable.

Perhaps the two kit lenses, my 43 9-18 with adapter and this portrait would be enough. Maybe the Samyung fisheye too.

All for not a huge cost.

In time, I could go for the12-40 or possibly the 7-14.
Old 2nd September 2016

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

I still think that all you need to do (initially at least) is to get a 12-60mm Zuiko to use on your E520. It is so versatile and will transform the results from the camera, and may be all that you need.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Snookerman (4th September 2016)
Old 3rd September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ok, Jim. I hear you. And the E520 is a good camera and I have had good results with it: I can post some here easily enough if anyone wants.

However, the sensor isn't as good as modern ones and the whole kit is quite heavy compared to the newer cameras. The E520 will also probably conk out at some point anyway - it's had 8-9 years of strong use so far.

If I do get the 12-60, it has to be with a view of using it on an M43 system at some point. I wouldn't buy it as a lens I could use for a few years only then discard or sell. I've looked at the four thirds special matching simulation site and it does look pretty huge and front heavy on all but the M1.

The 12-60 is (for me) more logical than the 12-40, and it's cheaper and I doubt there's much in the optical quality, but the size and weight are also in the equation.

That's why the sigma 60mm or Olympus 45mm as a portrait lens make some sense in a new system.

How does the 12-60 do with portraits? That would be pretty important.

Also, I see that the 12-60mm has a 72mm filter thread. All my filters (and I do use them a lot for landscapes) are Cokin A Series and I've not seen a 72mm thread for them - only for P series. So that's an issue. I'd have to get a A to P adapter or start again.
Old 3rd September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am pretty close to buying a new m43 body. I have decided, for the moment, to probably just get an adapter to use the 43 lenses on it. I can decide which extra lenses I want later.

I have a question though for those who have used both: how does the m43 pancake compare optically with the 43 kit 14-42?

I am sure I'll upgrade this kit one day, but for now?
Old 4th September 2016

Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts

The Oly 45/1.8 is lighter and smaller than the Sigma 60/2.8, but NOT cheaper (as you state above). Oly 45 ~175 new; Sigma 60 ~120 new. And neither is a big lens. The Sigma actually feels more solid, and has less plastic (with a smooth metal barrel ... which you may not like so much).

I WOULDN'T go for the 12-60 4/3 version until you've tried a m4/3 body - borrow one, or rent one from here ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kami For This Useful Post:
Snookerman (4th September 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Snookerman (5th September 2016)
Old 4th September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks folks.

Well, I have already started on the new journey.

Yesterday I ordered a sigma 60mm and an Oly 43/m43 adapter.

I haven't got the camera body yet, but it's likely to be an E M1. I've found that you can get a second hand one now for about 400 pounds (or slightly more) and a new one for 550. Since the M10 with two kit lenses is about 570-600, I figure I may as well get the better body. I would probably end up buying a grip for an M10, so that adds on money and weight - and none of that with the M1, plus I get to use AF better with my 43 lenses.

So, my current thinking is... To save cash, get just the M1 body and run the m43 kit lenses with it for a little while. I'll end up buying the 12-40mm when I see a bargain, but before then I have the adapter coming so why not try the kit 43 lenses and the sigma 60mm?

I may be tempted to buy a 2nd hand pancake EZ 14-42 to both save weight and size on some trips out and also so the adapter goes on one of the other 43 lenses (40-150, 9-18mm, 70-300mm depending on what I am expecting to shoot).

I'm intending to use the 60mm as a portrait lens. I don't get on with the 40-150mm as a portrait lens....to fiddly, too slow to focus, too heavy, and not enough subtlety. I don't think it's a good portrait lens. I think the 60mm will be much better.

If I do get a pancake, then with just that and the 60mm in the bag, I'm travelling pretty light!

I'm told the pancake is at least as good as the 43 14-42mm, so that sways me.
Old 4th September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Next thing is where to buy it from.
Lots of cheaper deals - but mostly imports from Hong Kong - I'm really not sure about it, as I've not done that before. I guess you have to check where the Ebay stuff came from too.
Old 10th September 2016

Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts

Don't know if you know the Camerapricebuster website: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/
has good info on new cameras, but also is convenient for links to second-hand camera sellers. In addition to those advertising on Camerapricebuster, I have also bought gear secondhand from Ffordes, and from LCE (Lodon Camera Exchange), and would recommend both (as well as SRS, Calumet, MBP and Wex). I DON'T recommend FleaBay, other than for cheap non-electronic camera stuff if you can't find it elsewhere. Happy hunting :-)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Snookerman (10th September 2016)
Old 10th September 2016

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
Next thing is where to buy it from.
Lots of cheaper deals - but mostly imports from Hong Kong - I'm really not sure about it, as I've not done that before. I guess you have to check where the Ebay stuff came from too.
Be very wary of cheap "grey" imports from HK or wherever. Apart from widely reported poor service and difficulty in obtaining refunds etc from such sources you will not get an Olympus warranty with them. Some time ago Olympus stopped issuing "Worldwide Warranties" and now only issue regional warranties on equipment imported via their regional operations and sold via their authorised retailers. In the case of the Uk this means Olympus Europa and retailers such as SRS (the best I have dealt with) LCE, Ffordes, Park Cameras, WEX etc. The standard Olympus European warranty is for two years but you can purchase aditional warranty extensions too. When I bought my E-M10 MKII there was an offer on which included a free extra year's warranty. Many "grey" imports may come with a retailer's warranty which is often only for one year.

Buyer beware.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 13th September 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Could someone tell me which of the teleconverters work with any lens?

I know some are decicated to some specific lenses, but is there a generic m43 teleconverter and if so is it any good?
Old 13th September 2016

Liked 750 Times in 498 Posts

I don't know whether there are any m43 teleconverters from Panasonic or third-party manufacturers, I haven't seen any mention of them. The only one Olympus currently offer is the MC-14 - this was introduced with the 40-150 f/2.8, and only fits that lens and the newer 300mm f/4. It will physically not fit on other lenses. Oly do not offer a generic converter for m43 at all.

John

Tags
e520, four thirds