Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 9th March 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Screw-on hood for Olympus 14-42mm II R (Solved)

I am looking for a black screw-on lens hood (37mm thread) for my Olympus Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II R lens. It normally takes a bayonet hood fitted by removing the decoration ring, something I dislike and want to avoid. (I had a similar problem with the 45mm f1.8 but that being a telephoto lens, vignetting was not an issue and I found an excellent screw-on hood from Dorr). One possibility is the JJC LH-37EP hood that is recommended for the Panasonic 14-42mm f3.5-5-6 but I am not sure if I can be certain that it will not cause vignetting on my Olympus lens with the same zoom range. Another is the JJC LH-37EPII lens which seems to be OK with the Olympus 14-42mm EZ "pancake" lens but once again may not be ideal with the II R lens.

Thanks in anticipation for ideas or suggestions.

Last edited by Loup Garou; 14th March 2016 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 9th March 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Screw-on hood for Olympus 14-42mm II R

Just as an aside regarding the decoration ring, I removed it from my much used 45/f1.8 (one of my best all time buys, lens-wise !) and the Oly hood is either reversed in storage or erect when in use, so the decorative ring stays at home. I think it's included for those who choose not to 'wear' a lens hood. A lens hood has dual function: physical and optical.

on flickr
Old 9th March 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Re: Screw-on hood for Olympus 14-42mm II R

Agreed Ricoh but I am one of those guys with slight paranoia about things (as I see it) being 'in the right place, right order' etc. I grew up with it and at 60 cannot change. As far as the 45mm f1.8 was concerned, I could not stand the idea of the black bayonet showing through the silver lens; in any case, that lens is not the problem and I got a very nice silver metal screw-on 37mm hood from Dorr and it works great. But my 14-42mm II R is black and while the exposed bayonet mount is less obvious in this one, I still prefer a screw-on one. I have an old rubber hood with a 37mm thread; I tried that and (for fitting) the silver Dorr hood belonging to the 45mm. In both cases there was vignetting from 14mm to 16mm.

PS: I found this and ordered it. I hope that it works. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unlike most other 37mm screw-on hoods, there is no 'lip' at the threaded end; it is usually that lip that causes the vignetting.

Update: It worked perfectly