Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 9th May 2015

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Stick or Twist (upgrade or wait)?

Like many of you I decided to finally try the M4/3 route when having spent a lot of money on a Canon 6D which I thought was great that I found I wasn't using it because it was too big/heavy/inconvenient and felt a bit of a wally just carrying it around.

So I took the plunge with the OMD5 and then with it a number of lenses. As much as I like the camera I always hankered after the EM1 but now I find myself glancing a bit to the OMD5 Mk2.

However, I've just seen the EM1 at a truly stonking price - I know its due to be upgraded - so the question is do I stick with my OMD5, or twist and upgrade to the EM1 knowing an upgrade is around the corner. Or do I spend the money on the OMD5 Mk2 - but having just watched a review of the Nocticron F1.2 on youtube - I am sooo tempted with taking the plunge

Help!
Old 9th May 2015

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts
Re: Stick or Twist (upgrade or wait)?

I have both, but funny enough I still like the EM1 more for my bigger hands, the OM5 MKII still needs the grip to make it comfortable especially with the 4-150mm f2.8. I did find a grip on ebay from Germany which arrived within 2 days for 40 cheaper than this country. It has made a hell of a difference. Hard choice between them but feel the EM1 is slightly more pro camera.
Old 9th May 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,626 Times in 938 Posts

I found the EM-5 Mk 1 & 2 to be too small for the big lenses without the additional battery grip.

For the studio work I'm still using the E-3 & 14-35 and for most everything else an EP-5 with primes.

I will likely go for the next PRO model to come out

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (10th May 2015)
Old 10th May 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Do you need the dual focusing of the EM1? If so then now is probably the time to go for one, the next big rice drop will be when the replacement for it is launched, with both new and used models reflecting the fact that they are no longer in production. I bought a brand new EM5 last month for £315!

If you don't need the dual focusing feature then do you need the sensor shift 40Mps of the EM5II?

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 10th May 2015

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

It's a tough call. The E-M1 has great handling and although I've only used an E-M5ii for an hour or so, I don't think it quite measures up in that area. The additional grip is essential for sure, but it's still not as well integrated as the E-M1.

Aside from handling, I think the value equation is PDAF (E-M1) vs full electronic shutter and improved IBIS (E-M5ii). So, unless 4/3 lenses are important to you, the E-M5ii is probably the better choice. However, I'm sure the E-M1's replacement will fill that deficit and will probably get a new sensor too, so my game plan is to wait.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (10th May 2015)
Old 10th May 2015

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmy999 View Post
...having just watched a review of the Nocticron F1.2 on youtube - I am sooo tempted with taking the plunge

Help!
I ordered a Nocticron but it arrived with some box damage so I returned it. However, I've decided not to order another. The IQ difference between it and the Oly 45/1.8 is actually pretty small whilst the size, weight and cost difference is huge. I'm actually really happy with the little 45's performance and it's so much more in keeping with the ethos of the m43 system. Tho Noc is so wide that it's almost unusable on the E-M5 with the grip attached since there's no room between the lens and the grip for the fingers.

Actually, I think David Thorpe's review here is right on the money:

http://m43blog.dthorpe.net/2014/08/2...the-nocticron/
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 10th May 2015

Liked 310 Times in 196 Posts

Maybe Paul has larger hands than I, but for me ( typical build 5' 10" bloke ) there is no problem fitting my fingers around the grip and obtaining both a secure and comfortable hold.

As an 'aside', I now 'thinking' of letting the Nocti go because the new Leica 50mm F1.4 I just bought for my M4 is so easy to focus on the wonderful screen of the 5mk2 and so much smaller I am thinking of using it instead. I may well put up a 'for sale' post shortly.

Kind regards, Simon

Old 11th May 2015

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Just missed out of Simon's Nocticron, so sorely tempted to upgrade now but have decided to take Paul's advice and just hang fire for the moment.

Perhaps use my camera and lenses rather than acquire more kit.

Thanks All.
Old 12th May 2015
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I ordered a Nocticron but it arrived with some box damage so I returned it. However, I've decided not to order another. The IQ difference between it and the Oly 45/1.8 is actually pretty small whilst the size, weight and cost difference is huge. I'm actually really happy with the little 45's performance and it's so much more in keeping with the ethos of the m43 system. Tho Noc is so wide that it's almost unusable on the E-M5 with the grip attached since there's no room between the lens and the grip for the fingers.

Actually, I think David Thorpe's review here is right on the money:

http://m43blog.dthorpe.net/2014/08/2...the-nocticron/
Thanks for that link to David Thorpe. Had a look at some of his other blogs and struck by the common sense and pragmatism on show.

Loved his view that prime lenses are not really required given the high quality zooms we have these days but he will still buy them because "they feel good". How true.

Hec