Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th April 2015

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Use it or Lose it ?

As many of you know, since my fall off a decking balcony (last year), when the Balustrade gave way and I hit the back of my head (which was bruised although not visible under my hair, along with my elbow and lower back, horrendously bruised and visible ) and concussion so great that I could not look up at the sky (I went Dizzy & lost my Balance) ; I could not turn my head, at the speed required when driving, to check the road was clear left & right (I went Dizzy - and did not drive for 6 months hence only one outing on the Ducati last year

I have been "drafted" into a Study of Development of Dementure (Alzheimers and Parksinsons included) in Hampshire with Southampton General Hospital and University!

This has aroused in me great interest, in this "new 21st Century mental illness WAVE by the massive increase in cases"

BBC Radio 4 aired a radio prog on "Life Science Development" which will put the "Authors" [An Tony Zador of Cold Spring Harbour laboratories who's become the first to crack a piece of the neural code for learning and memory which could have profound medical insights.] on a par with

Albert Einstein, Issac Newton, Christopher Wren

It is here for any interested, to listen to (starts at about 2 mins after broadcast round up and is the first Interview, lasting about 5 mins)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05435sp

Moreover, when linked with "The Edge" (a project in which I am involved on Early Years Childrens Learning & Pyschological and Academic Development - with Special interest in Autistic Spectrum Disorders) based at Winchester University

The following document, details much of "Why Children FAIL ?" at school - (in strict Academic terms) and yet, so many develop on to develop as Experts in their known field of interest; with inestimable knowledge, understanding and skills

http://www.edge.co.uk/media/16982/bo..._knowledge.pdf

The major basis of EDGE which is a 1964 book published by John Holt "Why Children Fail?" that has been updated many times (and is very readable and of great benefit to all Parents of all children in the education system, today, at whatever age) eBay or Amazon pre-owned available for a few pounds and Post

I have observed many children, learning Early Years principals, for example that numbers start at 1 and run sequentially 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, EXCEPT in Binet-Simon scales [and of course Binery for computers]

(http://childpsych.umwblogs.org/intel...t-simon-scale/)

Many children cannot get to grips, with "this is; as is" and this simple brick wall holds them back maybe for life, NOW in the 21st Century some Teachers are learning that "one method of providing a lesson to learn to count" is not going to help all children learn the "lesson" and that some children need "learning delivered in other ways".

Is this really a surprise ? all of us adults, learn in different ways, some by reading the manual to the new camera for days/weeks before touching a button and taking a photograph ; others, grab the camera, switch it on and click click and take hundreds of photos (exploring settings and comparing images, to find the best settings for the subject they wish to capture the best image ) - some development the knowledge, skills and ability to use the new camera over a day, a week or a month or a year or years - some want or need to have someone "tell them" (audio/visual) by attending seminar; or u tube video on line)

Many children at schools today, are fed breakfast (with Omega 3,6,9 oils for brain development) and "bulled" army style in Lessons to learn the answers to "SATs" Test Questions they do not understand, it is like learning Times Tables by Rote, not formulae just the Question and the Answer goes in, like the Rats learning "go left" for this noise or "go right" for that noise (as mentioned in the BBC Life Science interview above).

Many Adults, believed to be "on the Autistic Spectrum" are not and never have been - they just do NOT FIT THE STANDARD EDUCATION MODEL FOR SCHOOL and the learning offered to them after all, if you are the "hands on/play with it and experiment type" and someone insists you sit down and read the manual, some paragraphs out load - to others in a class (containing many new words, you find difficult to pronounce and, principals of settings in relation to images captured (eg F1.8 vs f4.6 and shutter priority or aperture and definately NOT P for auto program mode - ask yourself, "HOW WOULD I FEEL ?"

WOULD your mind shutdown ? you glance at a newspaper and feel compelled to do the crossword you see (a distraction from the task in hand of reading THAT manual ?)

WOULD your mind shutdown, if someone on the train you are traveling in, takes your camera manual and reads it aloud to you ? Would you listen and absorb ? Would you be annoyed ? Would you like this "method of learning about your new camera being ENFORCED ON YOU AS THE WAY ?

So how does this Radio 4 Program (at the top of this thread) and the thread title "Use it or Lose it" relate ?

My personal experiences of Early Years Childcare are firstly, during the degree courses I attend, based on "Reflection?" How did you learn to do ??? Whatever ... and then to learn "modern ways and methods of teaching Young Children.

THESE Same "modern ways and methods of teaching Young Children" are no different to those used with STROKE Patients who have a damaged part of their BRAIN ! THIS was bought home to me, as Nicks brother had a Stroke and lost his speech, but now in 14 days with Occupational Therapy has some Speech back and he is working hard on the rest ! Still in ICU

This links back to the thread title "Use it or Lose it and the research study into Brain damaged by high impact injury (where it is known that many will be, later diagnosed as "Dementure" sufferers ... because we lost it along the way.

Many years ago, I had a huge "frontal" head injury - from then to now, I have worked on keeping my brain working at storing and recalling information (I hit a tree at about 28 mph and it did not move ) in September 1992 at Chris Collins Farm Nr. Stoke Mandeville Hospital while Team Chasing as I was ejected out of the saddle to the tree ! An army Dr. on training in Micro and Plastics Surgery, Milner, was soon off to Kuwait and I became a study of his ! 480 stitches from the right bottom of my nose, up to my eyebrow and into my hairline across my forehead ! and some "plastic filler" he kindly started at my nose and after an hour and a half, said, "I am afraid you shall have to grow a fringe to cover the rest, as the "tissue" is swelling now he did a grand job ! although I looked like the "Frankinstein in the Electric share offer" street hoardings for 6 weeks ..." (as my eldest son kindly said at the time, when I removed my large sunglasses) - every 5 years I have "hospital photos taken" for his Study in how his needlework and my skin regeneration is doing.

When I learned of Dr. Kawashima's "Brain training" I went out and bought a Nintendo and the 1st "programme" (later followed by 2nd and 3rd). I use it daily - then waiting at the airport in departures or on a flight. Now when I wake up, to wake my Brain for the day.

!

I write this, as I hope that much of my "Activities" to Use it and Not Lose it" may help just one, on here

Furthermore, if the above can be of any help to a family / Parents in their childs education and future life (and the objective of education : to support each childs educational development to Economic Independence - or work as we call it) then, that will be great.

My own, now, personal work "Interest" is in being a "Positron" (always have been - see the glass half full ) ... and when observing a child/children IS NOT noting the Negatives and Cant Do's - but writing Individual Learning Plans and EFFECTIVELY Delivering the "lessons" for the individual child to be a "CAN DO" and Positron ! With high Self Esteem, Confidence in their abilities to achieve and do

If I can help anyone here to more information for them or their family or friends, please email or message me - I am most willing to help and I do hope you enjoyed reading this and got something out of it

"No man is an Island" we all share our Camera/lens/subjects/post processing software / computer glitches and we learn knowledge, develop skills and great images are forthcoming just sometimes, we may be able to share such information that can improve quality of life
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (21st April 2015), OM USer (20th April 2015), Ralph Harwood (22nd April 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (21st April 2015)
Old 19th April 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,158 Posts
Re: Use it or Lose it ?

Thanks Chevvy, fascinating stuff - even if most of it does go over my head!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th April 2015

John, thanks for your reply

I feel compelled to be "an active participant" if not for my own benefit - but for the benefit of children and grandchildren - especially if there is an "Inherited Gene" and of course the rest of mankind !

Whatever more, such longitudinal studies can develop in terms of knowledge and understanding of case studies, leads to positive developments in Health

After all, we would not have the Cancer cures, of today, without such studies

the ONE photo album
Old 19th April 2015

Thanked 1,140 Times in 714 Posts
Liked 1,481 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
John, thanks for your reply

I feel compelled to be "an active participant" if not for my own benefit - but for the benefit of children and grandchildren - especially if there is an "Inherited Gene" and of course the rest of mankind !

Whatever more, such longitudinal studies can develop in terms of knowledge and understanding of case studies, leads to positive developments in Health

After all, we would not have the Cancer cures, of today, without such studies

Not to everyone's tastes but there is another way to help... Distributed Computing? It started with looking out there for ET, in the hope, if found, would communicate to primitives like the human race.

The concept took off and has now widend to include research into almost every ailment and science known to mankind. In a nutshell, it encompasses any subject from A for Astronomy through to Z for finding a cure for Zits.

The only requirements needed are a computer PC or MAC, Android or Apple tablet or phone with internet access - not necessarily 24/7. The proggie you need to download is called BOINC and runs in the background, using resources which can be tailored to individual needs.

I've been running this proggie for well over ten years... ET where R U?

Through doing so, I have made many friends from other countries whom I've met in RL, both here in the UK and, in their own countries.

I'm no techie, but am a trekkie 'Team Picard' which is where all of the points I raise go, to assist 'my team of choice' in the world rankings.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (19th April 2015)
Chevvyf1 (19th April 2015)
Old 21st April 2015

Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,499 Posts
Liked 4,425 Times in 1,996 Posts

You have written a highly intelligent, erudite article, Chevvy that leaves me pondering whether the depth of your understanding of the learning process is the result of hitting an immovable tree at 28mph, or whether that understanding would have been even more profound had you not done so. I daresay that the collision did teach you enough about irresistible forces and immovable objects to write a thesis on it.

Seriously though, until now I had no idea of "How children fail" and I must agree that the hypothesis makes more sense than anything I've previously read.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
The Following User Says Thank You to pandora For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (21st April 2015)
Chevvyf1 (21st April 2015)
Old 23rd April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
You have written a highly intelligent, erudite article, Chevvy that leaves me pondering whether the depth of your understanding of the learning process is the result of hitting an immovable tree at 28mph, or whether that understanding would have been even more profound had you not done so. I daresay that the collision did teach you enough about irresistible forces and immovable objects to write a thesis on it.

Seriously though, until now I had no idea of "How children fail" and I must agree that the hypothesis makes more sense than anything I've previously read.

Sorry for long period before reply Work I wrote my Thesis on "Crawling and other critical, physical movements effects on brain development" for reflecting on the children who crawled and thus independently mobile from a young ; and the effects of "core" development from, for example 'sitting in a coachbuilt pram - vs - Buggy/Car seat pram.

Whereby the coachbuilt pram facilitiates that the baby has to balance the "core" in the to and fro movements of the springs combined with the ground travelled over (eg going down a kerb (baby tips forward a little but re balances sitting upright or baby collapses forward in the pram) and going up a kerb (when baby tips back a little and re balances sitting upright or baby collapses back into pillow).

As opposed to a buggy/car seat-buggy where the baby is slightly laying back, but unable to re balance

This was also combined with the effects on babies over the past 20 years of "car seat/buggy" life - often mother feeds baby in the morning ; gets baby changed for the day and then places baby in the car seat-buggy to nap - so ready and not disturbed when going out to the car. Great easy life ?

Mothers often then take baby in the buggy/car seat out of the car and clip them to the Buggy wheels for shopping or walks OR take baby into friends for coffee - where baby may not even spend time on the floor MOVING.

Movement at all times impacts greatly on a human beings development. Which is why Baby Movement must happen to aid core and brain development and why Health Actions in getting movement going again after a major accident ; Stroke etc are impressed on the patient in ernest for re development of the core areas of speech and movement and continuing development

It is fascinating.

Not from my Equestrian accident - but just reflection on life, my own and those around me and continuing development, not deadening of brain & life as we know it

I did not realise that the Brain naturally "prunes back" at various stages of our life - key ones for little ones being age 2yrs to 3 yrs and then again at the onset of Puberty and then again at the end of Teens

Those babies that did not crawl (textbook "Commando" style) have a a 95% chance of learning difficulties of which 90% will be Dyslexic FACT known since the 1950's longitudinal studies worldwide (still continuing with A Child of Our Time and Prof. Robert Winston and the Open University in conjunction with many universities worldwide and Professors of Zoology at Cambridge University and others around the world).

All the above also "sets children up to fail" as well

the ONE photo album
Old 12th May 2015

I just received this News Item via my BBC tagged subjects for News Alerts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32689533

Absolutely Awesome the subject of Brain Plasticity ... (it is how Stroke Victims who lose Speech and Movement "train" to use other parts of their brain to make up the for the damaged areas, and rebuild their lost skills)

I have long been a fan of Dr. K's Brain Training games and that is why I bought a Nintendo DS

the ONE photo album