Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 12th November 2007
OwainB

Olympus 35mm macro or Sigma 24mm?

Hi. First of all, I'd like to say how pleased I am to see a dedicated E-System forum!

Right - now to the dilemma. As a newbie to the DSLR world (recently upgraded from a digital compact), I could do with some advice.

I'm wondering whether to go for the Olympus 35mm f3.5 macro or the Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX DG aspherical macro (at least that's what they call it - I thought 0.37x magnification made it not a macro?) to whack on my E-410. It's largely because I love taking pictures up close, and it might be useful for product photography (I sell jewellery among other small things), but also because I like the idea of a fixed length lens - better optical quality, and learning to compose the shot by thinking and moving rather than lazy zooming.

Looking at (what I perceive to be) the pros and cons of each:

Olympus
Pros: Cheap, small and light
Cons: Only f3.5, 35mm maybe a little long?

Sigma
Pros: Big aperture, focal length similar to "standard" lens (50mm lens on 35mm camera)
Cons: About twice the price of the Olympus, almost twice the size and three times the weight!

I'm very tempted to just go for the Olympus, but the cons I listed above do concern me slightly. I do quite a lot of general shooting in low light levels (I live in Northumberland - it's the norm here!), and I think I might really appreciate the extra couple of stops the Sigma would give me. I also love a shallow DOF, and the f1.8 would give me that in spades.

I don't know if I'm putting too much emphasis on the whole "standard" lens thing, but I've heard from a few sources that using a 50mm-equivalent fixed lens is a great way to learn more about composition and technique, as the lens sees a roughly equivalent field of view to the human eye. Any views on this?

Anyway, if anyone has experience of either of these lenses - or even better, both! - and has any pointers either way, your views would be greatly appreciated. In fact, in the unlikely situation that anyone has both lenses and could post some pictures of the same subject shot with both lenses, that would probably help me settle this once and for all!

Sorry to ramble on in my first post!

Thanks.

Owain
Old 25th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus 35mm macro or Sigma 24mm?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experience of these lenses as well. I'm also considering the 50mm Zuiko macro and the 30mm Sigma - the 50mm get's rave reviews, but the Sigma has a larger aperture.
Old 25th November 2007

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

The 35 mm lens gives true macro ie 1-1 and is a very sharpe lens, ts alsovery light and comes in handy for landscapes if you want to travel light.
Old 26th November 2007
OwainB

Well, just to update anyone who's interested, I ended up going for the Sigma 24mm, and I'm really pleased with it.

The f1.8 maximum aperture really helps in low light, although the DOF is *so* short that getting the focus on target can be a little tricky!

The down-sides (now that I actually have some experience of the lens) are:
- It's big and heavy, and really unbalances my E-410.
- The focus ring turns in AF mode (unlike the Zuikos), and it covers much of the length of the lens barrel; this means you can't easily grip the lens in the normal way while focusing.
- The AF is *SLOW*, and in low light will spend ages hunting from one extreme to the other; also, it will occasionally focus slightly in front of the subject.
- It doesn't seem quite as sharp as my 17.5-45 and 40-150 Zuikos (but it's still acceptably sharp for me, and a lot of the non-sharpness probably comes from slight shake, due to the fact I'm handheld at f1.8 in low light!).

Basically, I'd recommend the Sigma to anyone shooting in low light who doesn't mind manual focus!

Hope that helps anyone.
Old 26th November 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,282 Posts
Liked 1,765 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwainB View Post
Well, just to update anyone who's interested, I ended up going for the Sigma 24mm, and I'm really pleased with it.

The f1.8 maximum aperture really helps in low light, although the DOF is *so* short that getting the focus on target can be a little tricky!

The down-sides (now that I actually have some experience of the lens) are:
- It's big and heavy, and really unbalances my E-410.
- The focus ring turns in AF mode (unlike the Zuikos), and it covers much of the length of the lens barrel; this means you can't easily grip the lens in the normal way while focusing.
- The AF is *SLOW*, and in low light will spend ages hunting from one extreme to the other; also, it will occasionally focus slightly in front of the subject.
- It doesn't seem quite as sharp as my 17.5-45 and 40-150 Zuikos (but it's still acceptably sharp for me, and a lot of the non-sharpness probably comes from slight shake, due to the fact I'm handheld at f1.8 in low light!).

Basically, I'd recommend the Sigma to anyone shooting in low light who doesn't mind manual focus!

Hope that helps anyone.
Thanks for that, I'd love to see some shots when you are ready

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 2nd January 2008
OwainB

I'm revisiting this post with my tail between my legs, as I didn't read the manual...

With the Sigma 24mm, when you're in AF mode, it turns out you should push the focusing ring forward a notch. This unlocks the ring from the focus mechanism, so it no longer turns when the lens focuses. It also has the added effect of speeding up focusing, as the motor no longer has to cope with turning the ring as well. In fact, it's probably twice as fast (although still not quite as fast as the ZDs).

This means that two of my gripes about the lens are actually invalid, and I love it even more. In fact, I haven't taken it off my camera for a couple of weeks.

Fabulous, all-purpose lens.
Old 10th March 2008
robertsonk

Guys, this was v interesting reading as I have been looking for some time at what prime lens is best suited for shallow DOF portraits etc.

I have been considering the 2 lenses discussed above, but also the Sigma 30mm f1.4, does anybody on the forum have any experience with this lens? It got a great review in Practical Photography a couple of months back, but I wouldnt mind hearing some first hand views from a fellow user.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 10th March 2008
Ijay37

I to am interested in the Sigma 30mm f1.4. I made an enquiry on the forum last week but did not get a response so I assume there aren't many about so I am going to google it to see if there are any reviews
John
Old 10th March 2008

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

IIRC there were some focus issues (back or front - I can't remember) reported by several users of the Sigma 30mm f1.4 on dpreview.

Jim
Old 10th March 2008
robertsonk

I just got a useful response via the four thirds forum

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...3&goto=newpost

Kevin