Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 8th June 2014

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Re: WARNING: E-M1 Camera body eyelet has come away from camera body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
I've just had a very successful day of aviation photography in Lincolnshire on Thursday with a Sigma 70-200mm APO EXII lens plus Olympus TC-14 teleconverter attached. This is presumably within the design parameters of the E-M1 as it is designed to take any four thirds lens, as well as the micro four thirds lens range.

Today, I have lifted the camera to put the strap around my neck to then have one end of the strap come away from the camera body - it is actually the camera body eyelet that has failed, not the strap nor the means of attaching the strap to the eyelet.
The failure isn't a breakage, it is actually the eyelet screws that seem to have come away within the camera body, as there are clearly two holes in the eyelet and two visible deeper within the eyelet hole on the camera body. There is no sign of any screws as I presume that these have fallen within the camera body.

Because I was holding the camera by the lens when I lifted it, the camera and especially lens is fine, but the consequences if this had happened when I was using it all day on Thursday are seriously worrying - it would have been the lens that would have smashed first onto the concrete, without any warning!

To say the least, I feel shocked at how easily two small screws seem to have come away within the camera body to then release the camera strap.
It could easily be an unfortunate one off, but I would seriously advise any other E-M1 users to be very cautious with the camera body eyelets and to try to give them a visual check to see if there is any play or tiny movement between the eyelet and the camera body, especially if you regularly use heavier four-thirds lens.

I will of course now have to try out the Olympus Pro Service Plus - shame that they don't want to deal with issues at weekends! Anyhow, let's hope that it is a quick service and repair, but please check your eyelets in the meantime.
I presume that no-one else has had a similar problem but if any of you find a loose camera body eyelet connection could you please update this thread, just in case there needs to be a more thorough check of this issue.

Regards
Chris
Hi Chris so sorry to hear about your camera, I had a similar failure with my E5 in Greece 2 years ago but the plastic buckle on the Olympus strap just broke, sending the camera crashing down onto a road surface. It seems the Oylmpus buckle had been cracked from new, number of failures reported.

Took a chip out of the body but the camera was fine! Even though I got the body repaired and the strap failure was nothing to do with me I now always carry my camera with one hand. I also use the Black Rapid strap but never let go of the body! Bit like carrying a weapon! Rarely do I let it hang on the strap!

Olympus were really quick to replace the body so I hope you get the same service. Actually they surprised me with their speed, could not believe if when the E5 was returned in under a week!
The Following User Says Thank You to davy59 For This Useful Post:
catkins (8th June 2014)
Old 8th June 2014

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
One has also got to hope the threads haven't stripped (with screws a little short). That would be more worrying to me! I think if I'm going to keep heavier lenses on the camera with tripod mount I may be tempted to use a sling strap for the lens (tripod mount) & neck strap for the camera body & that way it should be fine. The only lens I have that fits that bill is the Sigma 150 macro lens which may not be practical to use a strap at all for macro shots.
Thread and a half protrusion is required, that's all. An even better solution would be a flange such that the lug cannot in any circumstance pull free. It might become loose but not break away.
It should now be on all our minds to do a quick pull test, trying to shear the lug to make sure it's health for a day's shoot.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
catkins (8th June 2014)
Old 8th June 2014

It should be simple enough to attach a fail safe cord to a half case if you have one fitted. I'm thinking of the type where the leather fits around the lug. If its the type that allows access to the battery and card (for example on the EP5) it can be left in place , just tie some high tensile strength cord between strap and case as a back-up.

on flickr
catkins (8th June 2014)
Old 8th June 2014

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,050 Posts
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Thread and a half protrusion is required, that's all. An even better solution would be a flange such that the lug cannot in any circumstance pull free. It might become loose but not break away.
It should now be on all our minds to do a quick pull test, trying to shear the lug to make sure it's health for a day's shoot.
The tripod mount is probably a good design being internally mounted & externally screwed. A pity that method isn't used for the strap lugs too.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
catkins (8th June 2014)
Old 8th June 2014

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Well, I had another important photo shoot to do today, so interesting to compare and swap over the E-M1 and the E-30 for a little car action on the M6 near Shap summit. We had the Gumball 3000 car rally passing through from Miami to Ibiza . . . well Edinburgh to London via Manchester today,

So having found a great spot, I decided to initially use the E-M1 for wide angle video using a hand strap on the remaining eyelet. The E-30 initially I used with the Sigma 70-200mm. to enable me to zoom in on the supercars as they came down the hill and passed by.
But after a while I decided to put the Sigma back onto the E-M1 and hold tight onto the camera body! Comparisons: Preferred the E-30 for its optical viewfinder keeping a constant view of the cars and allowing me to pan with far greater success, then the flicker of the E-M1 electronic viewfinder. But preferred the latter for showing me exactly how the exposure was coming out and better clarity of viewfinder. I also prefer the grip of the E-M1 although I had forgotten how smoothly rounded the E-30 was!

Luckily the remaining eyelet was still holding on and tomorrow I will contact Service Plus to see how it is going to be sorted out.
Thanks for all the comments, ideas, etc., as this is potentially a major issue for anyone using heavier lens on their E-M1s.
As noted before, there is no sign of breakage to the connection. I've looked inside the eyelet screw holes and there is no sign of stripping of thread, so it looks like some issue with the screws coming loose. And where those screws are inside the body of the camera is anyone's guess!

Regards
Chris
Old 9th June 2014

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,050 Posts
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Well, I had another important photo shoot to do today, so interesting to compare and swap over the E-M1 and the E-30 for a little car action on the M6 near Shap summit. We had the Gumball 3000 car rally passing through from Miami to Ibiza . . . well Edinburgh to London via Manchester today,

So having found a great spot, I decided to initially use the E-M1 for wide angle video using a hand strap on the remaining eyelet. The E-30 initially I used with the Sigma 70-200mm. to enable me to zoom in on the supercars as they came down the hill and passed by.
But after a while I decided to put the Sigma back onto the E-M1 and hold tight onto the camera body! Comparisons: Preferred the E-30 for its optical viewfinder keeping a constant view of the cars and allowing me to pan with far greater success, then the flicker of the E-M1 electronic viewfinder. But preferred the latter for showing me exactly how the exposure was coming out and better clarity of viewfinder. I also prefer the grip of the E-M1 although I had forgotten how smoothly rounded the E-30 was!

Luckily the remaining eyelet was still holding on and tomorrow I will contact Service Plus to see how it is going to be sorted out.
Thanks for all the comments, ideas, etc., as this is potentially a major issue for anyone using heavier lens on their E-M1s.
As noted before, there is no sign of breakage to the connection. I've looked inside the eyelet screw holes and there is no sign of stripping of thread, so it looks like some issue with the screws coming loose. And where those screws are inside the body of the camera is anyone's guess!

Regards
Chris
Wouldn't it be a surprise if the eyelet was just pushed in without the screws. Just kidding. But, truly sorry it's happening to you & hopefully it comes back quick.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
catkins (9th June 2014)
Old 9th June 2014

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Scary times! I'm glad you didn't break any of your kit. I'll check mine out later, swing round my head, cat style.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
catkins (9th June 2014), Ross the fiddler (9th June 2014)
Old 9th June 2014

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

I should imagine that it is best not to let the camera support the weight of a larger lens like this; I generally always hold the camera by the lens (or have it attached to a tripod using the lens's collar) when using a large and heavy lens.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamespetts For This Useful Post:
catkins (9th June 2014)
Old 9th June 2014

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Wouldn't it be a surprise if the eyelet was just pushed in without the screws. Just kidding. But, truly sorry it's happening to you & hopefully it comes back quick.

Don't even take me down that path!! Especially as the eyelet screw holes look so damn perfect until you look with a magnifying glass!
Anyhow, Service Plus now will hopefully give it a good check over, find any offending screws, and fix well into place both eyelets, etc. It should also get a thorough going over and service so let's hope that I can relax thereafter. Only trouble is the wait for the pick up mid week, but usually Olympus service is very efficient once the camera is in the DHL Olympus system.

Regards
Chris
Old 15th September 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are not alone.

Source: http://www.omuser.com/thread-229473-1-1.html (in Chinese)
Old 15th September 2014

Hope the EM5 isn't similarly afflicted, but since most companies employ 'design for reuse', it could happen. Not heard yet, so incidence may be low, but not necessarily zero.

on flickr
Old 25th September 2014

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

I trust that some of you will have received the repaired/replaced cameras back from Portugal - any response from Olympus re the failure - gurgling sounds from designers committing hari-kari perhaps
jamsa (26th September 2014)
Old 18th September 2015

Liked 148 Times in 90 Posts

interesting thread really glad i stumbled on it. Just shows how something so fundimental can fail when you put all your trust into it.

thanks everyone for bringing the issue to light on here i will check mine every time i use it now.
Old 19th September 2015

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts

Happened to me in May whilst on holiday. Scary but it was sent to Portugal for repair and returned well within a week.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 4th October 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My OM-D E-M1 Right hand eyelet became detached tonight (hand grip side). Im gutted by this. For such a high end product weather sealed and dust proof one would not expect such a mechanical failure. Im wondering if the 7-14mm f2.8 has contributed to this. The lugs look substantial from the outside, but when you see the little screws (have managed to shake one of them out) I would not trust such a method with 800 glass now. Luckily for me I was hand holding the body with 9mm f8 body cap lens fitted when I noticed the strap hanging free.

Ive had a good read here http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55513815
but cant see a proper solution.
I there a UK Service Centre?
or I may buy a sling type tripod mount strap.

Are there any disassembly instructions?

mg