Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 7th March 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Aperture EM1 Support views?

Hi, I have been battling on with LR4 and Olympus viewer 3 for a bit. With all of the hassle of ORF files I had given into using JPGs. I had no idea that Aperture supported the EM1. having tried it it seems to work very well but here is the thing, my subjective view is the jpg output from Aperture looks better than LR4 when I was using the EM5. I have tried some ORF files from the EM5 and as far as I am able to make out exported jpgs look less grainy but remain very detailed.

I don't see many benchmark discussions on photo editing software, I have almost been programmed to thinking that adobe rules, and why not given its legacy and pedigree. I wonder how it fairs against other packages in terms of the final image.

I would be interested in comments, views

Best wishes
Old 7th March 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts
Re: Aperture EM1 Support views?

Have I missed something? What problems are you having with Lightroom?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 7th March 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Hi Ian! I have LR4, it does not appear to handle EM1 ORF files, the EM5 files are fine in LR4 but I am wondering if exported JPGs are slightly more grainy than in aperture?
Old 7th March 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glee View Post
Hi Ian! I have LR4, it does not appear to handle EM1 ORF files, the EM5 files are fine in LR4 but I am wondering if exported JPGs are slightly more grainy than in aperture?
The standard work-around if you don't want to upgrade to LR5 is to use the latest (free) Adobe DNG Converter and convert your E-M1 ORFs to DNG RAW format. These can then be imported into LR4. I assume you're using a Mac so you can download it here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...form=Macintosh

I used to worry about fine grain in RAW previews compared to camera JPEG output but sometimes this actually works positively, adding some definition to the image once it has been resized for display on the Web or when you print. That graininess then disappears. It really only needs some attention if you are making a very severe crop. In this case you will need to experiment with the sharpening radius values and possibly detail values in noise reduction. This usually fixes things.

I'm not familiar with Aperture from a user's point of view but it used to be the case that Lightroom was faster with new camera updates and Aperture had the edge in output quality but Lightroom has improved immensely in the last couple of years and its speed and facilities are amazing.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Glee (8th March 2014), Wee man (7th March 2014)
Old 7th March 2014

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

I have been an Aperture user since 2008 when I switched from being a JPeg user to a RAW shooter. At the time of trying out Aperture I also tried to use Lightroom but the demo copy would not download at the time.

I bought an EM1 before Aperture supported it's RAW files so I tried the demo of the latest Lightroom, did not get on with it and very shortly Apple then updated the camera raw conversion file to support the EM1 so I did not have to persevere with Lightroom.

Aperture may or may not have less function than Lightroom, but it also uses inbuilt features of OSX and shares methodologies with iMovie and iPhoto.

I will be staying with Aperture with the EM1 if for no other reason than the old rock climbing saying - change only one hold at a time.

Have you realised that you can view the RAW files in Preview and also edit and save the files in other formats as well as use the Inspector to see the location of the image on the map (if you have used the Smart phone app to update the location information into the image file).
Glee (8th March 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ian (7th March 2014)
Old 7th March 2014

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Aperture 3.5 with Mavericks does support E-M1 raw pretty well now.

I would not recommend buying Aperture at moment as folks have be waiting for Aperture 4 for a rather long time.

Gary
Old 7th March 2014

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

To buy or not to buy - if you can benefit from the existing function get the existing version, then after a new version comes out wait for a few months until the point update comes out fixing the early release problems.
Old 8th March 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the link Ian, I will try the raw converter, also I don't print many photos, perhaps why I got a little hung up on grain, I think I am going to print out a couple of images, one processed in LR4 and one in Aperture to compare printed output.

I do like the grain in B&W mind!

Best wishes
George
Old 13th March 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have used Aperture since it came out. I like it a lot, but have almost given up on Apple supporting it properly. I had a Fuji X10 which last time I looked wasn't supported, I sold it when I ordered a OMD EM10, which I hope will be supported. Like an earlier poster said it's not a good idea to change too much at one time, and I'd sooner be taking pictures than learning Lightroom, but I might give up on Aperture.