Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 16th September 2012
Floribunda

East Coast Beaches

After travelling 2,500kms by car, we crossed The Great Dividing Range and were at last at the East Coast.
All the way up the eastern coast of Australia are glorious beaches. The Gold Coast is especially popular, boasting Theme Parks, shopping, a magnificent hinterland, and of course, the beaches.

We stayed at Broadbeach for a few days, a little less frenetic than Surfers Paradise. Overcast on this day - cool by local standards.

Broadbeach.

Then a little further north to Coolum Beach - one of our favourite spots.

Coolum Beach at dusk.

You can walk along the Queensland Beaches forever.

Old 16th September 2012

Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,499 Posts
Liked 4,423 Times in 1,995 Posts
Re: East Coast Beaches

That was certainly a marathon drive. It would have been nice to have had clear blue skies for your Gold Coast pics, however we make the best of what the weather decides to give us, eh Lyn

Where did you cross the Divide and did you take many pics of that picturesque region?

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 16th September 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
That was certainly a marathon drive. It would have been nice to have had clear blue skies for your Gold Coast pics, however we make the best of what the weather decides to give us, eh Lyn

Where did you cross the Divide and did you take many pics of that picturesque region?
Yes Mark - can't do much about the weather, but overcast, balmy and warm suits me fine. Our Aussie sun can be pretty brutal, both on the skin and from a photographic point of view.

We crossed just north of Warwick this time, through Cunningham's Gap, and Beaudesert to the Gold Coast. You can cross lower down but we chose to ignore the Pacific H/way as much as possible.
Didn't take many landscapes (you know my love of those by now! ) but visited many parks and gardens, so will post some of those soon.
Old 16th September 2012

Liked 379 Times in 111 Posts

What wonderful scenes, Lyn - 2,500 kms to get there - did you have to do the same to get home or did you hire a car and fly back? I thought our 2,200miles (approx 3,500 kms) was some marathon but that was our entire trip! Of course, the fact that we saw so much rain made us keep on driving!

We missed this part of Queensland entirely when we were over as time catches up on you when visiting such a vast country but we flew into Cairns and really liked some of the northern beaches there - a totally different side to the beaches of Queensland, of course, with more small coves - Port Douglas, I suppose being the exception with its vast expanse of beach.

You are obviously not in the holiday season at present but would beaches such as those you've shown become busy in the summer months or only those in the Brisbane area itself?

Regards,
Ann1e
Old 16th September 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Lyn, Great shots of FAB Beaches but heck what a drive
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 16th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The one with the guys fishing is awesome!
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr
Old 17th September 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
The one with the guys fishing is awesome!
I'm glad you liked that one Danny - I like it too. I love those pastel colours you get on a beach on a cloudy day.
Old 17th September 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Lyn, Great shots of FAB Beaches but heck what a drive
It probably does seem a long way to you Chevvy - but Aussies are used to travelling distances across our country.
We limit ourselves to around 400kms a day on a big trip, which means 2 hours travelling in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon, roughly. And then we stop for morning and afternoon tea breaks. We like to be off the road by about 4-4.30pm - especially on the outback roads because of the roos and emus. We keep off the highways wherever we can and our secondary country roads are excellent, with very little traffic on them.
Old 17th September 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1e View Post
What wonderful scenes, Lyn - 2,500 kms to get there - did you have to do the same to get home or did you hire a car and fly back? I thought our 2,200miles (approx 3,500 kms) was some marathon but that was our entire trip! Of course, the fact that we saw so much rain made us keep on driving!

We missed this part of Queensland entirely when we were over as time catches up on you when visiting such a vast country but we flew into Cairns and really liked some of the northern beaches there - a totally different side to the beaches of Queensland, of course, with more small coves - Port Douglas, I suppose being the exception with its vast expanse of beach.

You are obviously not in the holiday season at present but would beaches such as those you've shown become busy in the summer months or only those in the Brisbane area itself?

Regards,
Ann1e
We usually try to do an alternative route coming home Ann1e, but in this case we virtually backtracked on the same route. We drove all the way. Neil and I have always loved motoring, and share the driving.
Going east from SA the quickest way is up through western Queensland.
Because of The Great Dividing Range you have to decide to either stay east inland and cross it eventually, or go up the Pacific Highway along the eastern coastal route.
This can be a nightmare sometimes as the route is heavily populated, and getting worse, although there are some lovely coastal towns along the way. Our objective this year was to get up north ASAP and spend time in the sun, which worked out well. At this time of the year the beaches are not crowded, but come the summer months, there is plenty of activity.
It was a shame you struck so much rain - that really isn't much fun on a driving holiday.