Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Closed Thread

Old 7th April 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Foto Fair -Vs- Looking for Perfection ?

There appears a need for clarity here ! In Foto Fair and Looking for Perfection about what is and is not, acceptable ?

I have posted in both and was over the moon (sometimes doing backflips over the moon ) that a few photographers I admire, had taken the time to download, edit and change my shots ... My backflips ... because THEN I could see now ways and means of improving my favourite shots (after all, I dont post the shots I dislike here )

I have EVEN been introduced to CO6 - for which I am thankful of inestimable proportions of hugs - as it has the MOST amazing "local tools"

That said, Is it "reasonable" to expect that one or two may do this ?

I find that an uploaded, edited, version with the suggested changes made, as a picture "tells a thousand words" - especially to Visual learners
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
gregles (7th April 2012), Patchwork (8th April 2012)
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Re: Foto Fair -Vs- Looking for Perfection ?

Personally I have no issue at all with people uploading edited versions of my pics, to me it is just another way of offering suggestions and it is much easier to understand what people mean. Having said that I do understand that some sites discourage this, I can only assume that is due to concerns over plagerism.

I don't really understand the difference between explaining the changes which could be made and showing them by posting an edited pic, it's quicker than second guessing what somebody means. I think that 'Looking for perfection' section is perfectly clear, the notes explain clearly that it is for images on which you are looking for helpful critique, so if somebody does not want critique or suggestions then it should not be placed in that section.

On a slightly different note I stopped posting in this section following a message I received from somebody, who no longer appears to be active, suggesting I should not put my pics in that section because they were no where near perfect. I didn't think they were but I love getting feedback and seeing how others could improve my pics, it helps me next time. I now stick to Foto Fair, but I may start posting in Looking for Perfection again as I miss the critique.

I hope all my ramblings make sense. I suppose the bottom line for me is if you want feedback and critique post in Looking for Perfection and if somebody wants to edit my pic and repost to show me what they mean I think that is great.
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Could not agree more Chevvy

This is a great place to learn and I have great appreciation for those who take the time to share their knowledge and expertise Long may it continue

Greg
Old 7th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post

On a slightly different note I stopped posting in this section following a message I received from somebody, who no longer appears to be active, suggesting I should not put my pics in that section because they were no where near perfect. I didn't think they were but I love getting feedback and seeing how others could improve my pics, it helps me next time. I now stick to Foto Fair, but I may start posting in Looking for Perfection again as I miss the critique.

Shirley thank you for your valued contributions to this thread I concurr

However, please do post in LfP ... I can recall quite a few of your images I have loved and commented on - Perfect to me and I too learn from others images in LfP from the critique of various respected and very capable Members here !

the ONE photo album
Old 7th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
Could not agree more Chevvy

This is a great place to learn and I have great appreciation for those who take the time to share their knowledge and expertise Long may it continue

Greg
Greg, Thank You for your valued contributions to this thread

I like it here because it is like photo club - without going to dull meetings every week and instead of others saying "email me that image and I shall show you what I mean" ... I do email and they don't get around to it

... HERE it just happens no promises just ACTION

the ONE photo album
Old 7th April 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts

My view has always been that it is OK to edit and repost in Looking for Perfection, so long as it is only within the context of the original thread where there is no doubt about the ownership of the image and the motives for the edit. When I do this I right click on the picture and "save as...." then import into Elements. Afterwards I upload to my forum gallery and after posting it in the relevant thread I immediately return to my gallery where I annotate "Hide Image" so that it's no longer visible. I then delete both the original and edited versions from my computer.

Sometimes people like my edits and sometimes they don't. Often others add alternative edits. It gets us all thinking about the possibilities and potential of the original image and usually we all learn something. There is no doubt in my mind that edits others have performed on my pictures have helped me become a better photographer and comments made on edits I have done have helped improve my processing skills.

I suggest that anyone posting in Looking for Perfection who doesn't want their pictures edited states this plainly in their OP.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (7th April 2012), gregles (7th April 2012), kidslateinlife (7th April 2012), shirley (7th April 2012)
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I suggest that anyone posting in Looking for Perfection who doesn't want their pictures edited states this plainly in their OP.
Yes I agree, that would save any misunderstanding. Perhaps it could be added to the blurb under the 'Looking for Perfection' heading. However, I can't understand why anybody would say they don't pics edited
Old 7th April 2012

Quote:
Yes I agree, that would save any misunderstanding. Perhaps it could be added to the blurb under the 'Looking for Perfection' heading. However, I can't understand why anybody would say they don't pics edited

Shirley, I have seen one in a year and that is why we all have choices

BUT we do need to make our choices clear at the outset to save embarrassing other Members - who have actually taken their time to provide a visual critique as well to SHOW what they mean

John & Shirley YES

Comments ONLY - no post of edited image - Please

Do you think Ian will see this ? or should we take a vote on this ? and then pm Ian ?

the ONE photo album
Old 7th April 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hi Chevvyf1

Great thread.

I agree, and think it is entirely reasonable to expect that a few people will have a go at an edit of images posted. I also think this is a good thing - I love doing edits of images posted here, really enjoy it - because I love the whole image processing thing as much as the taking of the shot.

I believe the final picture is a triumvirate, in differing proportions, of the subject matter, the kit one uses, and the processing of the image - all pulled together as one by the photographer. Different people would apply differing proportions to each of the three attributes - which is what makes us unique, and perhaps creates our 'recognised style'. I really enjoy looking at other peoples edits to see if I can identify their 'style' on the original image, and I also enjoy seeing what I can make of an image.

I will admit to editing someones image more times than I subsequently post the result though

In fact, this thread has also made me think of something I can use as the e-Group Easter Challenge. Tomorrow morning... you'll have to wait.

Old 7th April 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:

On a slightly different note I stopped posting in this section following a message I received from somebody, who no longer appears to be active, suggesting I should not put my pics in that section because they were no where near perfect.
I remember how distressed you were at the time. I also understood why you didn't want to say who it was, but had I known I would have given them both barrels! It was a stupid comment made by a stupid person who chose to do it in a private message rather than have the guts to post it on the forum. If they are no longer active, good riddence, if they do read this - "Shame on you!"

I can assure anyone who has doubts that "Looking for Perfection" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are. In fact, the further from perfection they are the better - there's more chance we will be able to help!

If anyone feels they have really achieved perfection and don't require advice, then Foto Fair is the place to post, so we can all stand back and admire! Foto Fair is also the place for snapshots of interesting subjects that were never intended to be masterpieces or where someone a little unsure of inviting full critique can expect to recive more gentle comments whilst they build their confidence.

But I must emphasise - for anyone who wants to learn and improve, no matter how inexperienced they are, Looking for Perfection is the place to post your pictures.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
cinders (11th April 2012), theMusicMan (7th April 2012)
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Good thread with valuable comments. As far as I am concerned I place images in LFP because I want critique, not just praise and an important part of this can be reprocessing and posting of my work. To be honest members can do anything they like with my images as long as no-one else profits financially from it because I have so much to learn. I am not sure that any changes need to be made to the rules to prevent some members taking themselves or their own work too seriously - let us all adopt a more light-hearted and fun attitude to the forum and none of us are likely to be offended. What we don't want is for any members from being put off posting their images or critique for fear of it attracting unreasonable comment.

Regards

David
Old 7th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hi Chevvyf1

Great thread.

I agree, and think it is entirely reasonable to expect that a few people will have a go at an edit of images posted. I also think this is a good thing - I love doing edits of images posted here, really enjoy it - because I love the whole image processing thing as much as the taking of the shot.

I believe the final picture is a triumvirate, in differing proportions, of the subject matter, the kit one uses, and the processing of the image - all pulled together as one by the photographer. Different people would apply differing proportions to each of the three attributes - which is what makes us unique, and perhaps creates our 'recognised style'. I really enjoy looking at other peoples edits to see if I can identify their 'style' on the original image, and I also enjoy seeing what I can make of an image.

I will admit to editing someones image more times than I subsequently post the result though

In fact, this thread has also made me think of something I can use as the e-Group Easter Challenge. Tomorrow morning... you'll have to wait.
John, Great comments ! I suffer from "Mastery" and have to control my passion and the quest for Perfections - it ruined my fun in horses and golf, but not Skiing - my knackered knees did that infact, for horses and golf too

I LURVE "playing about" with images all these RAW Art Filters and the Photo edit s/ware are truly AMAZING ! Let alone CO6 (to which I am a recent convert )

I look forward to your Easter challange ... with an appetite of inestimable proportions

ps having a grotty dose of "Manflu" I am reluctantly not out and about this hols ... but confined to the sofa or my bed with the kettle, a jar of honey and a box of LemSipMAX ... but close to my PC ... sniff sniff

the ONE photo album
Old 7th April 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I remember how distressed you were at the time. I also understood why you didn't want to say who it was, but had I known I would have given them both barrels! It was a stupid comment made by a stupid person who chose to do it in a private message rather than have the guts to post it on the forum. If they are no longer active, good riddence, if they do read this - "Shame on you!"

I can assure anyone who has doubts that "Looking for Perfection" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are. In fact, the further from perfection they are the better - there's more chance we will be able to help!

If anyone feels they have really achieved perfection and don't require advice, then Foto Fair is the place to post, so we can all stand back and admire! Foto Fair is also the place for snapshots of interesting subjects that were never intended to be masterpieces or where someone a little unsure of inviting full critique can expect to recive more gentle comments whilst they build their confidence.

But I must emphasise - for anyone who wants to learn and improve, no matter how inexperienced they are, Looking for Perfection is the place to post your pictures.
FYI folks... the text in bold in Johns post above has now been added to the header of the LFP section.

Great thread by the way, great contributions too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (7th April 2012), George Dorn (13th April 2012), Zuiko (7th April 2012)
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I for one have posted bad photos in Looking for perfection, listened to the critique,acted on it and learned different processes leading to a good shot.I find the help given invaluable and I don't think any of my shots are so "precious "that they can not be improved.
Cheers Iain
The Following User Says Thank You to ardvorlich For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (7th April 2012)
Old 7th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvorlich View Post
I for one have posted bad photos in Looking for perfection, listened to the critique,acted on it and learned different processes leading to a good shot.I find the help given invaluable and I don't think any of my shots are so "precious "that they can not be improved.
Cheers Iain
Iain, I concurr I am always so amazed at others perceptions and how their "treatments" of my images expands my ability esp. creativity

the ONE photo album
Closed Thread