Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd December 2011

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts
How difficult can it be (BT rant)

Rant mode ON.

Let's see if you guys understand this, because BT seems to have problems.

We have two phone lines. This is me ordering broadband using their on-line application forms and chat window.

Hello. We want BT fibre broadband on our line X. Certainy sir, you need to pay by direct debit and it's cheaper if you pay line rental in advance, and its an 18 month contract. Yeah, ok. Heres my card number.

Emails: Welcome to BT, your two lines, X and Y are now an an 18 month contract and broadband will appear on line X. There's a cancellation fee if you change your mind. Hmm, I don't like that bit about "your two lines" but let's just get the new broadband working.

Good. Nice fast broadband on line X. Everything is settled down. Now let's cancel line Y because we don't need it now. So just to confirm, sir, you don't want line Y. There will be a 30 day cancellation charge. Yes OK, I was expecting that.

Email: Bill for 210 because you cancelled your 18 month contract. WHAT!

Phone Bt (Insert 9.5 minutes of waiting) Finally speak to a person, as I reach the end of my opening explanation - the line goes dead.

Phone Bt again (insert 17 minutes of waiting) and we get somewhere. You are trying to cancel line Y with infnity broadband on it, sir. NO. We do want to cancel line Y, but the broadband is on the other line!! Don't chop the wrong line... And what about this huge bill. Let me check sir.

More delay. Finally, we apologise for the 210 bill, please ignore it.

I get him to repeat the situation, the cancelled bill and the line we are keeping and the line we are cancelling. Why do I get him to repeat it?

Because I am now recording my conversations with BT. Otherwise they say one thing, you get billed for another and you've no record and no proof of what was promised.

Grrr (The above obviously comprises about 10% of the actual button pushing, menus and conversations)

Rant Off

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 2nd December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: How difficult can it be (BT rant)

Pete,
I hear your rant and feel your pain. I do wonder how these providers manage to do any business with the public when they seem to have no regard for them.

For a period a few years back I was working from home during the day and online gaming regularly of an evening. Therefore I was pretty much constantly using the broadband service provided by a certain cable company. It became obvious that the service would drop out randomly over the course of a day for several minutes, frustrating at best, compromising my employment at worse.
As I am a network engineer by trade I had the knowledge to diagnose what was happening during these dropout periods and proved that the root cause was within their core network.

While this was happening I spent several months on many phone calls talking to their "customer service" department (insert up to 45 minutes listening to on hold music in every instance and lots of button pressing) to be told constantly that the problem was with my equipment or the modem at my house (which was changed 4 times).

I offered to provide evidence on many occasions of the problem that proved the fault to be within their network, once I managed to speak to someone who understood what I was saying. Needless to say I never spoke to him again and the problem was never (as far as I know) fixed. I don't know why it was never fixed as I ended up paying BT to reconnect their line and moving to a DSL provider.
Sorry for listing the woes that I had to suffer, reading your rant just brought it all back and both illustrate that these corporations seem to share the same disregard for their customers.

B*****ds!

Nick.
Old 2nd December 2011

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

BT, tell me about it, I recently had a horrible telephone experience with them also.

You go through the never ending maze of trying to get to the department you need only to get to listen to some awful, distorted music. Then you spend ages trying to explain the problem to someone who doesn't really understand and speaks with an Indian accent. Then they say they need to transfer you, this is where the call drops and have to go through the whole experience again with a different person.

I've lost numerous half-days raising my blood pressure

Steve
Old 2nd December 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I now always ask call centre staff who don't seem to speak or understand English where in the world they are. If outside the UK I demand to be put through to a UK call centre. This is for two reasons:

1) So we can understand each other.

2) As I often tell the non-UK staff when they ask: "...because, by using cheap overseas labour such as your good self, your firm is taking the food out of the mouths of British workers!"

How delightful when you then get transferred to a UK member of staff, whatever their accent may be!

--------------------------
Old 2nd December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
I now always ask call centre staff who don't seem to speak or understand English where in the world they are. If outside the UK I demand to be put through to a UK call centre. This is for two reasons:

1) So we can understand each other.

2) As I often tell the non-UK staff when they ask: "...because, by using cheap overseas labour such as your good self, your firm is taking the food out of the mouths of British workers!"

How delightful when you then get transferred to a UK member of staff, whatever their accent may be!

Ha-ha, I like reason two!
This reminded me of a friend who was talking to a call centre employee and not getting near to a resolution, so he asked if he could "speak to an adult".
Old 2nd December 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
Ha-ha, I like reason two!This reminded me of a friend who was talking to a call centre employee and not getting near to a resolution, so he asked if he could "speak to an adult".
...and I usually say it in loud Queen's English whilst standing and saluting the Union Flag, and with Rule Brittannia playing in the background!

--------------------------
Old 2nd December 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,626 Times in 938 Posts
Lightbulb Re: How difficult can it be (BT rant)

I liked it in the good old days, of analogue and proppa copper cables when you could get a good strong hold of the line, pull really hard and the person on the other end would bang their head on the switch board

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 2nd December 2011

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

If you do not get a sensible resolution write to Richard Branson if you are dealing with Virgin Media ( it is his brand name) or Ian Livingstone (CE) at BT - explain the problems you are having and how disappointed you are that their legendary service has slipped.

You will get a minion to reply from BT but it will increase the chance of a successful outcome, and for Virgin Richard might give you a call!
Old 2nd December 2011

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Good luck with BT, I have always found them to be marginally less efficient than a chocolate fireguard!
Old 2nd December 2011

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
If you do not get a sensible resolution write to Richard Branson if you are dealing with Virgin Media ( it is his brand name) or Ian Livingstone (CE) at BT - explain the problems you are having and how disappointed you are that their legendary service has slipped.

You will get a minion to reply from BT but it will increase the chance of a successful outcome, and for Virgin Richard might give you a call!
I complained directly to Ian Livingstone via his e-mail address ian.livingston@bt.com and got a personal reply from him at twenty past seven one evening (still didnt fully answer my question mind!)
Old 2nd December 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

We have friends fed up with BT and emails to the CEO to get some results, but not all ...

We are utterly TEED ORF with Virgin slow Broadband ... but our neighbour is with BT and says its just as bad - but the TV element was so BAD -they gave up on it and now only have Freeview !

We enjoy MotoGP so need Eurosport ! and I sometimes watch Equestion events

We are 3.5 miles from the BT Exchange and new cables have just been laid - which in January/February are SUPPOSED to make our Broadband Superfast ... well maybe ?

We shall re evaluate our Broadband then ... but just maybe we can go without
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd December 2011

Parts of Winchester are on FTTC with really fast Broadband 35mb approx
Have you noticed a bigger green street cabinet installed probably alongside the cabinet that serves your house.

When they start to hum it tells you that thy are powered ad it won't be long before they go live..
Old 2nd December 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Derek, yes we have a 5ft tall x 3ft wide one, arrived in October, the other side of our fence and we are waiting for it to start humming ... The Engineers said "it was scheduled to online live end January/February"
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd December 2011

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I really don't understand why you are all surprised about Blitish Terriblecom. They act all coy on their (overkill) TV ads pretending that they invented the internet in the UK but may I humbly remind you all that we are talking about the company which single-handedly delayed the widespread adoption of fast internet in the UK for several years for their own purposes so they could protect their monopoly and is the primary reason some third-world countries now seem to have better internet than we do.

I will never forgive them.

James
Old 2nd December 2011

Chevy - you jammy so and so our exchange is still on the schedule but is slipped every 3 months by 3 months I hope to get 21CN service this month - but that has been slipping to the right as well.