Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 15th September 2011
Usy

Some portraits

Hello!
I'm new to this forum and very happy to be here, I was suggested to start share some of my photos so here I am. I'm aware that I can receive any kind of feedback here therefore feel free to be completely honest, I could use some advice from more experienced people!

Thanks a lot

One thing before I start...is it ok to post links to the photo or is it preferable to load it directly here? I couldn't find any info about it!
Old 15th September 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Some portraits

Hiya

Welcome!

When you join, each member gets some free gallery space to use for uploading images. There are a few screencasts and instructional threads around as to how to do this if you wish. You can also use your own hosting gallery and post the images here (which in the main, is what I do). What I wouldn't suggest doing is simply posting a link to an image, because not so many people will then click through on your link to see the image you link to. It's not breaking any rules, but it is sort of not the done thing if you want people to view your images.

Best to link the image directly here (most gallery providers offer this service), or use the eGroup gallery to host your images.

How's that...?

Old 15th September 2011
Usy

That's perfect John, many thanks!
I'll use the Flickr URL then, it's probably quicker

My mum and dad!

The one who's known as Cobra Commander (don't ask me why, he didn't like any of the cute nicknames I used to call him and he picked this one )

Open fire!
Old 15th September 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

... and you open with two wonderful portraits. I especially like the first one, you've caught your Mum and Dad with wonderful expressions and in a very loving pose. The bokeh on the light (top right) also adds to the overall effect.

Not so sure about the 2nd one... Cobra Commander looks a mean dude hehe.

Did you use photoshop to blur the background? as he looks a little stand-out-from-background 'ish! and the whole background has what looks like an even amount of blurring. Nonetheless, it's a great pose

Old 15th September 2011
Usy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
... and you open with two wonderful portraits. I especially like the first one, you've caught your Mum and Dad with wonderful expressions and in a very loving pose. The bokeh on the light (top right) also adds to the overall effect.

Not so sure about the 2nd one... Cobra Commander looks a mean dude hehe.

Did you use photoshop to blur the background? as he looks a little stand-out-from-background 'ish! and the whole background has what looks like an even amount of blurring. Nonetheless, it's a great pose
Thanks John! I'm flattered!
Cobra Commander is a teddy bear, but yes, he totally looks mean in that pic! That's actually the first photos I've taken when my 50mm was delivered and for the blurred background I have to thank the wide aperture of that lens (f/1.4), I was shocked when I saw that DOF the first time!
Old 15th September 2011

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

I agree with John's observations Martina, the first one is a lovely image, you have caught that moment perfectly almost a candid shoot.
The with second image I find the background more of a distraction.

Thanks for posting these, looking forward to seeing more

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 15th September 2011

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

I agree with the previous comments. Both are great shots but the shot of your Mum and Dad stands out, you have really captured a special moment.

Thanks for sharing.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 15th September 2011
Usy

Thanks guys! I actually have a whole set of pictures of my mum and dad, as they never had a photo-shoot when they got married I thought about giving them some nice couple shot and they've been lovely (although they started doing silly faces quite soon and all the magic was gone )

Do you guys usually open a new thread for each photo or you post all your pics in one thread?
Old 19th September 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

That first image is a wonderful capture of a moment to be treasured. Lovely to view as an outsider but I would guess even better as a family picture.

Cheers

Hec
Old 19th September 2011
Usy

Thanks Hec