Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 28th April 2011

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
To equal the Canikons!

I do not normally bother about the Canikons but my Up Helly Aa photography next year has to be the best I can do. The editor on the project is a Nikon user (http://kendoza.com/category/shetland-events/) and we will be joined by a Canon user (http://www.davegifford.co.uk/)
Now the 'editor' was asking why I did not have many photos of the parade - was it the kit...to quote
"I need to be sure that on Up Helly Aa day, for the squad, we are achieving the best quality images we can for our and especially David's [the Jarl] one off day so that is why I am asking questions now so we can plan ahead. By asking if it was a struggle last Up Helly Aa day I hope you realised that I wasn't referring to you yourself, I was of course only referring to the camera struggling with a smaller sensor in a challenging battle against light and weather, so if you were offended I apologise, it wasn't intended that way. I know that it can be tricky with a full frame DSLR let alone a four thirds especially at the evening procession."

So...I rise to the challenge to show the Canikoners that Olympus is just as good ( I know I shouldnt but...)

Hence your help required...
It would be nice to have pro kit but I cannot afford it so what do I need where the best exposure is around 125th F4 ISO 800
I have been taking piccies for 50 years but can still learn so if you have any exercises I can do to improve the shot taking I'll give it a go...

...on the other hand you could tell me to stop being stupid at my age and just take me pictures!

Look forward to your advice...
Old 28th April 2011

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts
Re: To equal the Canikons!

Is this the ultimate excuse to buy, I mean Hire an E5 and the 14-35 f2. Surely that should give a good account of itself in low light.

And as for the weather.. Pah!

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 28th April 2011

Seriously Pete it may come to a hire...if that turns out to be the best route but if I can do this with a 620 and some mid-range lenses then so much the better...
Old 28th April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was there any part of the day you would say you struggled with? I'm also wondering which lenses you have at the moment.
Do you preplan with certain shots previsualized to look for and predict to get good position during the event? If you can fill the frame with fire lit subjects, get in close reducing the contrast. Try some longer shutters with the antishake for movement and blur, and it you've a flashgun use rear curtain firing with that.
E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/
Old 28th April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Given the challenging and unpredictable nature of the event, not to mention the pressure applied by the Nikon user, I think hiring would be a good move. Ian, of course, runs an excellent hire service through the forum, just make sure you reserve the E-5 well in advance.

Alternatively, to keep costs down, maybe approach Olympus direct to see if they can help - and make sure you show them that message by the Nikonian where he throws down the gauntlet!

For me, his comments would act like a red rag to a bull and I'd be determind to make him eat his pixels!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th April 2011

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
Seriously Pete it may come to a hire...if that turns out to be the best route but if I can do this with a 620 and some mid-range lenses then so much the better...
Can the E620 do low light under pressure. Hmm. Depends how dark and how much pressure... I do like my 620 and 600, but I found out early on that I need need to set a global exposure shift of +3/6th EV (that is to say I over expose all shots regardless by 1/2 a stop - there is a menu entry somewhere to do this). This means I never really need to lift the shadows due to under exposure. Its the shadows where the noise lurks...

However - received wisdom is that the E5 will work better at high ISO than the 620, and having f2.0 up your sleeve has to be a help.

I would still consider the rented big gun approach

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 28th April 2011

Thank you so far for your comments..please add more advice...
I would like to think that the 620 would give them a good run for their money but maybe it does have to be hand grenades at dawn or MAD as we knew it... I am sure Ian will help when the week arrives next January... but Ian would Olympus be interested in helping?
On the other hand I cannot really believe that the kit I have is really that lacking and maybe a little training and application would help...

Last edited by crimbo; 28th April 2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: speling
Old 28th April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Chris, on the basis that your exposures will be around 1/125th @ f4, ISO 800 the 620 should cope but I'd say you're reaching borderline, although I don't know how it performs at ISO 1600. I'm not afraid to use my E-3 at ISO 1600 but always expose to the right of the histogram, essentially the same technique described by Pete (Snaarman).

Why not practice in similar situations, although I appreciate that would mean a few late nights in Shetland at this time of year!

Also, shoot raw to allow more flexibility in processing and use a third party noise reduction software if possible, such as Neat Image, Noise Ninja or Dfine.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th April 2011

thanks John...yes it will be late nights or early mornings...use C15 for process and noise control... I usually try to stick to 800 for the increased tonal width...right so there is the first exercise...ta
Old 29th April 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Crimbo I wish you EVERY SUCCESS with whatever KIT you use ! Please share your photos here - I had never heard of "Up Helly Aa" call me an ignorant old sassanach if you wish
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 29th April 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Crimbo I wish you EVERY SUCCESS with whatever KIT you use ! Please share your photos here - I had never heard of "Up Helly Aa" call me an ignorant old sassanach if you wish
Well this my take on it over the last couple of years...
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/uha.htm
Old 29th April 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Hi Chris, this sounds like a great challenge.
One thing is worrying me ... no word from you on what lenses you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
... with a 620 and some mid-range lenses then so much the better...
I'm assuming the other fellas will have f2.8 zooms and 50mm f1.8 types...
Old 29th April 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Chris - I loved and throughly enjoyed all your shots and, I feel 2011 is much improved images on 2010 ! You have captured so much of the Spectator essence, at so many levels ! Thanks for sharing !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 29th April 2011

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

Mmmm!

My wife and I were thinking of going over for Up Helly Ya next year.
We thought it was all torch light processions etc.
However if I was being asked to cover the event I would use my 12-60 and the 35-100mm, probably set the ISO to 800 max. But being as I haven't covered this event before the above is all conjecture and guesswork.
Old 29th April 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Hi Chris, this sounds like a great challenge.
One thing is worrying me ... no word from you on what lenses you have.

I'm assuming the other fellas will have f2.8 zooms and 50mm f1.8 types...
Don't know what the others have but at present I have...
11-22, 14-42,40-150,70-30 and 50mmF2 and loads of legacy manual stuff