Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4th November 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
eBay Issue - non delivery

Just a quick question. I don't use eBay that often. I bought a lens off a seller on 17th Oct and paid by Paypal same day. I won it with my first bid. Estimated delivery by eBay based on sellers detail was 22-24 Oct. Seller actually didn't despatch lens until 25th Oct by Recorded Delivery. Lens now lost in the quagmire of Royal Mail. Seller says it isn't his responsibility and that I need claim from RM even though he is the transactor. He will not refund transaction. Funnily enough he had a good reputation on eBay - 400 transactions and 99.5% rating but has had both my transaction and another on same day with same problem. I've raised a case with eBay who will wait till 12th Nov. before acting on it. Question is - will I get my money back including P&P?
Old 4th November 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts
Re: eBay Issue - non delivery

My experience with eBay is not good. I bought a laptop PSU that was described as compatible with my laptop by the seller, but it wasn't. The seller refused to refund me and eBay did nothing to support me. They wanted a bureaucratic process where a third party expert to verify my complaint - and this had to be by letter.

Amazon, though, much better. I ordered something from a market place seller via Amazon and it never arrived. Amazon dealt with it and I got my money back quickly and efficiently.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 4th November 2010
Sharon

I think that if you pay through Paypal you should be insured. I'd try to claim the money back that way.
Old 4th November 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ

I've had problems returning goods that were faulty.

eBay has a very inflexible system for dealing with problems, and experienced uses can exploit the rules to take advantage eg by delaying tactics.

If you need to return faulty good always use a method that gives proof of delivery, and don't delay.

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 4th November 2010

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

Has the sender got the receipt for posting the item. If he has, which proves he sent the lens, then it is not his fault but Royal Mails for losing it. Was the lens sent trackable and was it insured?

I have done a fait bit of buying and selling on eBay and have never had any real problems.

Steve
Old 4th November 2010
Xpres

I think you'll get your money back in the end from paypal. Keep escalating the claim.
From a sellers point of view you need to wait two or three weeks just in case it turns up. A good seller, though, would then refund you promptly - including postage - and then make his claim from RM.
Old 4th November 2010

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
Has the sender got the receipt for posting the item. If he has, which proves he sent the lens, then it is not his fault but Royal Mails for losing it. Was the lens sent trackable and was it insured?

I have done a fait bit of buying and selling on eBay and have never had any real problems.

Steve
But it is not up to the buyer to chase RM it is up to the seller.And the seller should refund.. I think in cases like this you have to wait 28 days before RM will do anything anyway.

Regards
Steve
Old 4th November 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
Steve,
I don't know if he has the receipt but he was able to give me the tracking reference. However it turns out that is you send an item recorded delivery even though you get a tracking number it is not tracked. It is simply recorded as signed for when it is delivered. He charged 6 p&p from London to Glasgow - recorded delivery is only just over 3. He didn't state whether it was insured. I appreciate it is not his fault if indeed RM have lost the parcel but it is his transaction with RM - not mine - and so he has to take the responsibility for it. This he refuses to do. RM will not deal with me as I'm not the contracted poster - I'm only the disappointed non-receiver.
Old 4th November 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know I shouldn't but this is the response I got to asking for my money back after 17 days since paying for the item

First is my second last email to the seller after he had emailed me the tracking ref and told me it was my problem to track it down

Hi,
I have spoken to Royal Mail today after a 30min wait on the telephone at chargeable rates. They stated they did not know where the consignment was and it was the sender that needed to progress a claim not the receiver. Any claim could not be made until 12th November. It is now two and a half weeks since I paid for this item. I am extremely unhappy with this whole situation and would rather you simply returned the whole ebay fee I have paid you. If you do not think this is acceptable I will raise a dispute with eBay/Paypal.
Jamie

His response
Dear jamie.allan,

NO WAY. You are being totally UNREASONABLE.
I posted the item to you. recorded delivery. if it has not arrived, it
is not my fault, but royal mail's fault. Yes, i will file a claim but
before that i will call royal mail my self and speak to them find
out where the hell this item is as this is their fault and they will
compensate you for it, not me. i am an honest trader on ebay and
send all item over 10 recorded delivery, if they mess up, how is
this my fault??? please understand this.

My last and final response

Hi,
I would appreciate if you were being reasonable and used reasonable language in your response. You admit you posted this item 8 days after you received payment even though you had stated a 5-7 day delivery. You have taken no responsibility for finding out what has happened to the item so far. It may not be your fault that this item has gone missing but as the seller it is your responsibility to ensure the purchaser receives the goods. After all you charged 6.00 for post and package. On the basis of your previous emails I am now raising a dispute with eBay/Paypal regarding this transaction.

- jamie.allan

This I should add is a business seller on eBay with approx 400 transactions and a 99.5% rating prior to 17th October. Methinks something smells.
Old 4th November 2010
Alan Clogwyn

To chase the claim throug hRoyal Fail requires the receipt for posting and details of when where etc, so it can only really be done by the seller. Escalate the claim to a disoute and you should be able to get your money back, ebay very rarely side with the seller, although if he can prove that it was posted by providing the tracking number then it may well end in his favour, or tehre are extremely rare incidents when paypal will cough up for both sides.

Last edited by Alan Clogwyn; 4th November 2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: No such word as excalate!
Old 4th November 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The sender is resposable until the receiver receives the post, if it has been lost in the post then it is up to the sender to sort it out with RM, your only way forward is on this issue is to contact Ebay and Pay Pal, there is a procedure to go through and all you can do is wait, but I am sure you will get your money back.
Old 4th November 2010

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Hi Jamie,
To be honest i would wait a week or so, I have had to wait for items to arrive before and sometimes it can take awile. Keep your fingers crossed it may turn up.....

Steve
Old 4th November 2010
astonandy

I've had only good experiences as a buyer and seller on eBay except one, a relatively low value item that was sent recorded but not insured. I had a dispute from the buyer when it was not received but it was my responsibility to refund and then claim. The buyer had no goods and although it was not my fault it was not his either! I claimed against Royal Mail, refunded his money and in five days had a refund from RM of the full buying price plus my postage costs. They have a form you full in with your eBay details for them to check and they sort it out very efficiently.

It is definitely not your problem - the seller has failed to deliver the goods you have paid for. Only he can claim as he posted the items and has the proof of posting not you. That said, my wife sent the documents for selling out house special delivery overnight and they turned up 10 days later so stuff does go missing then reappear.

Andy
Old 4th November 2010
pepper

I sell a fair bit on Ebay, and the rules are if it doesn't turn up then its the sellers responsibility for tracing and tracking the item.

You've done your part of the deal by paying for the item, it is his responsibility whether the item is insured or not to get that item to you.

Just make sure you deal with all of your messaging through Ebays message system so you have a log of everything that has been said!

I sold a Hexanon lens last week on ebay, the buyer noticed a fault with it which I hadn't noticed, I asked him to send it back to me, I refunded his money and paid him the extra for sending my lens back. My fault for not being a little more vigilant!
Old 4th November 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
That said, my wife sent the documents for selling out house special delivery overnight and they turned up 10 days later
Andy
That is shocking.

alistairj.smugmug.com