Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 10th October 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts
Re: Plague on the planet

I'm not sure there are any 47s running scheduled services but they're very often seen on steam specials as a backup if the steam loco breaks down. Same applies to the 37s.

The visibility from the old DMUs is excellent compared to modern trains, yes. However the drivers didn't like being watched so the unions eventually ruled that the cabs should be blocked from view in newer vehicles. There are plenty of the old ones in service on heritage railways though.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (10th October 2019), TimP (10th October 2019), Tram (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 2,523 Times in 1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Ah class 47, or Brush as they were in the 60s. Are they still in mainline service?
According to Wiki, as of 2018 there were twenty-four Class 37 locomotives operation on the network with a further ten or eleven stored. Virgin Trains owns one of them for occasional use. There will also be quite a few in preservation on preserved lines.

In addition to backup for steam haled specials (and to provide electric power for carriages) I have seen quite a few Class 47's hauling special and vintage trains around the country.

The early Class 47's were equipped with a steam boiler for carriage heating because at the time very few carriages were equipped with electric heating systems. And of course in many cases the Class 47's replaced steam locomotives.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
TimP (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

My memories are all pre-TOPS (is it?) so mainly Brush, Hymek, Western, Warship and Crompton. Didn’t see a lot else here from what I remember. Certainly not Deltics as I think they were out of gauge somewhere.
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 2,523 Times in 1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
My memories are all pre-TOPS (is it?) so mainly Brush, Hymek, Western, Warship and Crompton. Didnt see a lot else here from what I remember. Certainly not Deltics as I think they were out of gauge somewhere.
The Class 55 Deltics were built for high speed passenger service on the East Coast Main Line. Only 23 were built so I don't think they strayed any further afield for purely operational reasons.

An earlier design was used for fast freight trains from London to Liverpool in the 1950's but was withdrawn for modification and then redeployed for passenger traffic.

The Deltics remained in front line high speed use until the HST arrived in the 1970's.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

The train spotters rise.
Aside from Duffs, McDuffs, Rats, McRats and Growlers....

Getting back to public transport. Living just outside Edinburgh if I wish to go into town I can go to one of at least 4 Park & Ride sites (free) and catch the bus. In Scotland the OAP bus pass covers ALL buses in Scotland (including City Link) and also to Carlisle and Berwick on Tweed.
One of my climbing friends regularly catches a bus from near Glasgow, into the city and thence to somewhere in the Highlands, gets off, disappears into the hills for a few days, reappears up to 50 miles away and catches the bus home. Transport cost nil.
If you don't have the bus pass but have to pay in Edinburgh, its a fixed fare irrespective of distance. Most of Edinburgh also has a real time indicator of when the next bus is due. This is very useful but especially so during the Festival.
I have shortly to go the Royal Infirmary to prove that I am still alive. i'll go to the P&R and catch a bus (less than 10 minutes). Parking at the hospital would cost probably 3, so good saving.

The pass does not cover ferries, rail or trams but if you live on an island or a council such as Argyll with islands you can get a reduction on the ferry fare.
There is a problem with ferries at the moment as 2 new ones are on order but are both well over budget, are trying to use new technologies and the first should have been in service last year but will not now work until late next year. The train service is now running well in the Central Belt and refurbished HST 125s are being used for the mainline routes between Scotland's 6 cities. I don't see the West Highland or other scenic lines getting away from diesel for a long time yet.

Road wise the big thing at the moment is completing the dualling of the A9 Perth to Inverness and the A96 Inverness to Aberdeen by 2025 and 2030 respectively. I think they have a place strategically but I do not think they will happen in the timescales given and they may even be curtailed due to 'climate emergency'. Elsewhere there is a demand but no supply of upgrade of the A75 & A77 to the Northern Ireland ports and the A82 Glasgow to Inverness most of which is a 100 year plus alignment.

Planes to remote communities have their uses, not least for the locals having to get to a major hospital for example but overall they are the most wasteful of resources.
Overall Scotland struggles with being interesting in geography but outside the Central Belt thin in population therefore the loudest shout usually wins the lion's share of money available.

Lots of toys.
Keith-369 (10th October 2019), Naughty Nigel (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The Class 55 Deltics were built for high speed passenger service on the East Coast Main Line. Only 23 were built so I don't think they strayed any further afield for purely operational reasons.

An earlier design was used for fast freight trains from London to Liverpool in the 1950's but was withdrawn for modification and then redeployed for passenger traffic.

The Deltics remained in front line high speed use until the HST arrived in the 1970's.
I was kinda meaning as specials, we had quite a few in the mid-late 60s, although strangely, I struggle to find some of them listed on sixbellsjunction.co.uk, which I thought had a very comprehensive list.
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 467 Times in 224 Posts

Point was Nigel that there were more than 1 person using it !! It was a ploy by the bus company to stop coming into the village as I stated in my note that the bus company had said 1 person without actually backing it up with figures and as far as I am aware you do not have to apply to the Council if you wish to cancel a service...the problem was the extra traffic along the bus route which meant they were not keeping to the timetable (which is a fineable offence by the Traffic Commissioners Office) hence the ditching of our service (now back to an hourly run), that extra traffic was due to our local council allowing more and more business onto the retail park close by Cars blocking the route.

Back to trains, been lucky as my brother is a train driver so had a number of footplate rides over the years (all properly done with management etc ) the best was class 56 up to Leeds Freight depot and back, East Coast mainline so love anything train wise.

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Naughty Nigel (10th October 2019), OM USer (11th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 171 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
Point was Nigel that there were more than 1 person using it !! It was a ploy by the bus company to stop coming into the village as I stated in my note that the bus company had said 1 person without actually backing it up with figures and as far as I am aware you do not have to apply to the Council if you wish to cancel a service...the problem was the extra traffic along the bus route which meant they were not keeping to the timetable (which is a fineable offence by the Traffic Commissioners Office) hence the ditching of our service (now back to an hourly run), that extra traffic was due to our local council allowing more and more business onto the retail park close by Cars blocking the route.

Back to trains, been lucky as my brother is a train driver so had a number of footplate rides over the years (all properly done with management etc ) the best was class 56 up to Leeds Freight depot and back, East Coast mainline so love anything train wise.

Peter
Please see notes here concerning cancelling a bus service
https://www.gov.uk/run-local-bus-ser...-a-bus-service
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 467 Times in 224 Posts

Yes I already knew about that after speaking to the Traffic Commissioners Office..But they cannot stop it going ahead it is only an advisory note to say they are cancelling it.
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/