Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th August 2018

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Router Problems

When cars had a choke to pull out, some makers made the first half inch or so of its trade do nothing, because so many women pulled it out a bit to hang their handbag on it.
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (18th August 2018)
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

A secretary I once worked with decided to check the air in the car tyres one lunchtime. She connected the hose and pressed the fill button. She didn't understand tyre pressures so she kept the button pressed until the tyre was "full" i.e. she couldn't hear the air going in any more. Three of the tyres burst on the way back to the office - no more than a mile . Then there was the secretary who would photocopy documents before sending them - by fax!!

I had a TPLink router for a while which worked pretty well, and I still use a TPLink USB wi-fi dongle on this pc.
Old 17th August 2018

One of our secretaries wasn't very tall, even wearing her 4 inch stilettos. The snag was, one day, a heel went down into a gap in the floor, and she was stuck there. Someone had to almost lift her out of the shoe - it bent her foot so much, she couldn't get it out of the shoe unaided. Didn't stop her wearing them, though.
Old 17th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Nothing except defeating the whole idea of having a laptop in the first place

John
Well, if the router is prevented from working by interference by a more powerful one, then surely it's better to use a temporary ethernet cable than having a laptop that can't receive/send emails, etc?
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts

We had a goldfish where we used to live, and the next door neighbour also had one. The neighbour was puzzled by the water in the tank going down, and asked my wife, "Does your goldfish drink a lot of water?"

(Her mother was Irish and whenever she got into a car she used to cross herself! How would you feel if you were the driver?)

Jim
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

I once set fire to the chip pan in my flat, many years ago. The next time I visited my parents my mother asked if I would like their fire extinguisher as "we never use it".
Old 17th August 2018

Liked 2,521 Times in 1,653 Posts

When our children were young I was pressganged into joining the primary school PTA, or PTFA I think they call it now. I offered to put together some publicity material and guides for the school which I printed and bound myself.

The Landlord of one of our local pubs was parent to three girls at the school, so at my suggestion we held our meetings in the Snug. The only downside was that I was the only man.

Anyhow, during one of the meetings there was a lengthy discussion about the village fayre, and how the PTFA were going to sell donated goods from a stall on the village green to raise funds. All well and good. Then came an idea that if it was a hot day they could sell ice cream, but there were numerous logistical challenges, including the fact that parking near to the stall would be impossible and that it was essential to keep the ice cream cold.

Gradually the ladies hatched a cunning plan that they would buy the ice cream and some wafers, store the ice cream in someone's freezer, and then on receiving a phone message one of them would drive the supplies to the village green and somebody else would grab them from the car. It was all very complicated.

I had just about finished my first pint of Guinness and to be honest wasn't paying much attention, so I went to the Bar and ordered another. The Barman took his time but by the time I returned to the meeting the ladies were still discussing logistics in between complaining about men!

The discussion was going round in circles so I interjected: 'I don't know whether I am missing something here, but rather than storing the ice cream in a freezer half a mile away why don't we just buy it from the Co-op as and when we need it'. (The Co-op is literally 50 Yards away on the other side of the road.)

There was a stunned silence; jaws dropped; and then one of the ladies said 'oh that's a good idea; why didn't we think of that?'

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing