Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Closed Thread

Old 15th December 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Demon deal, or deal with a demon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Are you trying to stir up trouble Paul by going off topic?

;^)

Jim
Well, it needed something to lighten the mood!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (15th December 2017)
Old 15th December 2017

Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
If this is the case, a reminder to all that Personal Messages can be reported as well as comments on the open forum.
Hmm, I know - but I'm reticent about 'telling tales' behind people's back. If someone PM'd me with comments I didn't like, I'd just ignore them (try me - anyone! )

I believe that issues ought to be discussed in the open.

Jim
Old 15th December 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,158 Posts

Quote:
Hmm, I know - but I'm reticent about 'telling tales' behind people's back. If someone PM'd me with comments I didn't like, I'd just ignore them (try me - anyone! )

I believe that issues ought to be discussed in the open.

Jim
It's not compulsory Jim, but it is an option. I once incurred a 7 day suspension on another forum (where they Talk rather a lot about Photography) for sending a rather strongly worded PM, which was reported. Still, it was worth it to let the arrogant gobshite know exactly how I felt!

On a more serious note, I once had to permanently ban a member who threatened physical violence against another in a PM.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Johnheatingman (15th December 2017)
Old 15th December 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,158 Posts

[quote=Keith] Originally Posted by KeithL
In view of the above exchange and PM, I am now leaving this thread.

Quote:
Sounds like something pretty unpleasant was in the PM!

I believe that if someone wants to say something, they should say it in the open and be prepared to publicly defend their statement - that's what I do anyway. I only PM to clinch purchase deals.

Sorry to see you driven off this thread Keith - you were a valuable contributor!

Jim
Johntheheatingman is concerned that the above quotes infer that the content of his PM to Keith was inappropriate. I agree and have therefore decided to reproduce that PM here (with John's permission) to avoid any speculation. I have to say that I'm surprised at Keith's reaction to this, but it does illustrate the potential pitfalls of extending discussions on the forum to PM's. Here is the PM sent by John:-

Keith, just to justify my last post and point out that Hemlockwood wasn't imagining things the following is a quote from Otto who later claimed in was "tongue in cheek"

OTTO: In my opinion nobody over 50 should have been allowed to vote as it's not their (our!) future that is at stake.

As regards the "elite" voting I can find no reference other than Hemlockwood's

Frankly I'm getting sick of seeing posts from the likes of Jim Ford and feel the best way of "smoothing things over" is to cease any mention of what has been said or done previously in this thread. Continue the discussion by all means but I see no need to refer to any past comments by anyone in the thread as it will serve no useful purpose ( IMHO)

There is a very real danger that this thread is degenerating into a clash of personalities which really is not healthy and is leading the conversation well off topic. I know we said that we had no wish to close this thread and stifle constructive debate, but in the absence of further useful contributions and with the OP having left the discussion, it now seems to be the most sensible course of action.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (15th December 2017)
Closed Thread