Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 15th November 2013

Thanked 1,002 Times in 799 Posts
Liked 3,217 Times in 905 Posts
(Takes Its) Time Machine

I had to replace the hard drive on my Mac Mini at work a couple of weeks ago as it had started to report errors. Since then Time Machine hasn't been working properly and I haven't been able to get a complete back up yet.

It starts off by 'Preparing' which involves it sitting there for up to several hours with the stripy bar whirring away. With a bit of luck it then moves on to 'Backing Up' which takes a few more hours. If it manages to complete that it then changes to 'Finishing' which takes yet more hours. However, Time Machine is programmed to make hourly back ups and this seems to trigger it to return to 'Preparing' again before it completes a full back up.

This is driving me crazy and, despite erasing the partition on the hard drive which meant that I lost all my previous back ups, I still haven't managed to resolve the problem. I have been attempting to back up the files since 9.00 this morning and at 12.50 it has just returned to 'Preparing' once more.

Does anybody have an explanation for what is happening and, more usefully, a solution? It worked perfectly before I replaced the hard drive.

Ron
Old 15th November 2013

Thanked 1,140 Times in 714 Posts
Liked 1,481 Times in 740 Posts
Re: (Takes Its) Time Machine

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but might prove useful if all else fails...

IDrive for Mac can now backup the Time Machine data to your online account. This is to provide an additional protection to your Mac, including system files, applications, accounts, preferences, music, photos, movies, and documents. You can recover your Mac / data directly by downloading the Time Machine folder from your IDrive for Mac account. You can also request a drive to be shipped to you via our Rapid Serve program containing Time Machine data.

Setting up Time Machine Backup is easy. Simply select the Time Machine backup from the left-hand pane of the application.

Note: The Time Machine folder in your IDrive account will be in sync with your Time Machine data. This means, data removed from your local Time Machine folder will also be removed from the online account. This is necessary to maintain the integrity of the Time Machine folder data and to insure that the folder size will not grow out of control.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (15th November 2013)
Old 15th November 2013

Thanks Wally. I will look into that.

As an example of what is happening, my latest backup was 46.2 MB. It started at 12.57 and finished at 13.59. It is now on 'Finishing backup', so I will see how long it takes to complete that, assuming it does.

Edit. At 16.25 it finally finished the back up. That means that for 46.2 MB it took about 30 mins 'Preparing', 1 hour Backing up' and 2.5 hours 'Finishing the backup'. Hopefully, now I have a complete backup it will do a quick incremental backup of the changed files from now on. Here's hoping!
Old 15th November 2013

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

Just a thought but did you choose:- Mac OS Extended (journaled) when formatting the drive?

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 15th November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post
Just a thought but did you choose:- Mac OS Extended (journaled) when formatting the drive?

Tom
Yes, that is what I always use. Is that correct?

SuperDuper has just done its backup on the other partition without any problems.

Ron
Old 15th November 2013

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

From what I can gather that is the best format to use.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 15th November 2013

Thanks Tom. The next scheduled backup is at 5.30. I hope it is a quick one as I am going home at 6.00. I have had enough today.

Ron
Old 15th November 2013

Ho hum. The backup started at 5.30 and now at 6.15 it is still 'Preparing'. That's enough for today. I will try again on Monday.

Ron