Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 13th March 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
A way to avoid the high cost of CS5

I thought I'd post this as a suggestion to anybody else who, like me, considers the cost of full Photoshop to be excessive and unjustifiable for many hobby photographers.

I have tried various bits of opensource s/w such as RawTherappee and GIMP but wanted to stick in the Adobe family to gain from the wealth of tutorials, plugins and general support and information on the internet. It's also true to say that the workflow using various unrelated pieces of s/w can get a little cluncky.

So my solution is this.

LR3 - soon to become LR4, Elements 10 and a piece of cheap s/w called Elements+.

Lightroom will probably be familiar to most forum members as will Elements but Elements+ may not be.

Basically it unlocks a number of full PS features that are actually present in Elements but disabled. The full list is here ( http://elementsplus.net/ ) but it includes proper curves, better than SmartCurves, and a wealth of other bits and pieces. As Elements 10 has layer masks already it means the you have the bulk of what, I would suggest, most of us use on a regular basis.

Given the decent price of LR4 at present, upgrade and full, along with the sensible price of Elements 10 ( CameraWorld is always keenly priced and their Focus show offer of 49 tempted me to upgrade from Elements 7) You have a seriously cheaper setup which works together well.

Elements+ is $12!

I'm also going to look at a Lightroom plugin called Elemental which enhances LR/Elements interworking including such things openeing multiple files in LR directly as layers in Elements.

I'm sure others have their own thoughts on this but I thought I'd share it in case it was helpful to others. I've certainly settled on this after some experimentation as it works for me.

cheers

Hec

Last edited by Grumpy Hec; 13th March 2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typoes and general muppetry by me!!!!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy Hec For This Useful Post:
BobS (16th March 2012), bowtie57 (13th March 2012), GRAHAMJ (15th March 2012), meach (13th March 2012), Phill D (13th March 2012), Static (21st March 2012), steverh (13th March 2012), Wee man (13th March 2012)
Old 13th April 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Updated - A way to avoid the high cost of CS5

Just an update on my investigations following on from my previous post.

I've installed the LR plugin Elemental as mentioned in the first post and have to say it's excellent. It brings in functionality such as opening several files, or virtual copies, as layers in a new, say tiff, file in Elements. You can also open several files, or virtual copies, in Elements as seperate files and work your magic. There's more but these are probably the most useful. You can do this without the plugin in of course but there's lots of toing and froing to do. This is quick and easy.

In addition I've also installed another LR plugin called LR Enfuse. This, like Elemental, is donationware and is a LR intergration/GUI package to use the Openware Enfuse software seamlessly from within LR. This basically enables you to merge different exposures together as with HDR. The difference is it produces a very neutral file for onward processing and does not get you into tone mapping and the like. All within LR. It's great for taking one original file and having multiple virtual copies at different exposures to sort under/over exposures in skies for instance. You can do this other ways of course but this is really easy, fast and produces, so far as my tests have gone so far, really nice results for onward work.

It can also merge focus stacks for macro fans. Not something I've played with so far but if the results are as good as exposure merges it should be very good.

So to sum up the cheap skates answer to 600+ for CS

LR4
PSE10
Elements+
Elemental
LREnfuse

Loads of capability with decent workflow at a reasonable price.

Hope these ramblings are of use to someone.

cheers

Hec
Sandyw (13th April 2012), steverh (13th April 2012)