Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 28th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: E-Group Photo Challenge

Sorry, I haven't been around much because Easter got in the way and we were a bit busy. Haven't been out with my camera either, because the weather's been so lousy.
Old 28th March 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

OK, I'm hearing here that most feel the challenge would be better if it were a monthly one...? Is that the general concensus...?

If so, then let's just do that; if it means we are then able to get more entries then that's for the better yeah?

Old 28th March 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

John,

You have my vote on that

PeterD
Old 28th March 2008
ndl0071

It would seem here that the perceived ‘beef’ is the lack of entries, this being the case perhaps we should ask ourselves what is an acceptable level of entry is, it 10 or 20 or perhaps 30 or more? Until we know the answer to this how can we apply a remedy? I think perhaps extending the comp to a month would yield a higher level of entries but would there be enough additional entries to make the extended time worthwhile?

My best guess is that there have been about 10 entries for each comp so far, I ran the 2nd comp and we had 11entries on that occasion, if it is decided that 10 is an acceptable level I see no reason to extend the time limits if however we are looking for 20 then it may be prudent to extend the time allowed.

I can’t help thinking though that this particular challenge has been hit by the rather inclement weather over the last couple of weeks or so, personally I am not used to night photography and would love to give it a go but for me it would be more of a summer/autumn project. Personally I don’t fancy trying to take a comp worthy shot when it’s blowing a gale and tipping with rain not to mention the cold, yes call me a wuss if you will but in my advancing years I have come to like my fireside!!

All this of course is not Garries fault, he may be the master of HDR but alas even he cannot create ideal weather conditions (if only) please Garrie don’t get despondent with the comp it is only through persevering and teamwork that we can collectively make this work, if not for this comp for all the future ones.

So back to my original thoughts what are the forum member’s expectations of an acceptable number of entries, making a competition worthwhile running?

Old 28th March 2008

Personally for me, Id say that 5 entries was enough.

However, I would hazard a guess that there's another reason for the low number of entries and that is that people may feel their images are not perhaps up to what they perceive as the quality of some others. I see some images on here and I am in awe, and only wish I could take shots on a par with those I have seen, but that doesn't stop me trying. Take the recent superb shots of the Scottish Landscape - and I mean they are superb, and then look at my only landscape shot... there's simply no comparison, mine is simply miles behind. But this is the point... I am sure all of us here want to improve our photography - even if it means trying out what others have done and attempting to replicate the shot. The challenges should also be perceived as just that i.e. a method of improving ones photography.

We all know it's not about the winning, and though I am sure we all also enjoy the little boost when we do get that pat on the back and acknowledgment regarding our photo's, but let's also try not to worry that our entries are not as good as other entries. Photography of course, has objectivity, but it also has a significant element of subjectivity; one persons food is another persons poison and all that, but consider the challenge as just that... a challenge to improve ones technique and ability.

So come on, get those entries in to Garrie yeah, there's still a few days to go.

Old 29th March 2008

Liked 707 Times in 376 Posts

You get my vote for a Monthly challenge..but can the time frame be slightly longer..maybe 1 ~2 old photos?

All my garbage so far.
Old 29th March 2008

The only thing I'd say about that would be that it doesn't encourage us to go out and use our cameras to get new photo's! I appreciate we may all have photo's tucked away in our libraries that we could enter into the challenges, but it doesn't encourage us to 'get out there', that's my only reservation about using old photo's.

Old 29th March 2008
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

I'd vote for sticking with the "new photos only" rule. I'd just extend the time period to four weeks or a month, rather than two weeks.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 29th March 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverh View Post
I'd vote for sticking with the "new photos only" rule. I'd just extend the time period to four weeks or a month, rather than two weeks.
seconded

PeterD
Old 29th March 2008
ndl0071

Just posted this on another thread, we seem to have several threads on the same subject at present. Hope you don't mind.

Hi all,

Just cast my vote, I went for the fortnight option as I feel this fits in with what I saw as the original idea of a fun, quick fire, no pressure take it or leave it project with quick results. You always know that if you miss one for whatever reason there's another one coming along shortly.

I feel that a month long comp may have the effect that people will get a little bored with it and interest may wain if we need to wait 3-4 weeks between posting and results. Also by going monthly it will half the amount of challenges over the course of the year greatly reducing shooting time and stifling the new opportunities for creativity that these challenges bring to us.

Presently the comp spans 3 weeks given the weeks voting on top of the 2 weeks shooting time, therefore does it follow that the monthly comp will actually be a 5 week comp taking into account the weeks voting? Perhaps a sensible compromise would be 3 weeks shooting time and 1 weeks voting?

Going one step further do we need to vote at all to find a winner? should we follow the FTU site whereby the facilitator chooses a winner overnight and almost instantly the challenge is reset by the winner therefore giving everyone more shooting weeks? After all the idea is to get out and take photos. Incidentally I think the FTU Challenge runs on a fortnightly cycle more or less.

I felt compelled to tell members why I voted for the fortnight option and to highlight some reservations that I have as I have not seen any of the above aired by other members, perhaps there is a wider debate to be had?

I would be interested to hear other members thoughts on the above in order for John aka The Musicman to consider the wider issue.

Cheers
Neil