Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 9th September 2015

Liked 3,037 Times in 874 Posts
Re: An unhelpful comment?

I would imagine that the teacher has never looked at an Olympus camera before and wouldn't know how to use one. It is so much less work if everyone is using the same make. Anything for an easy life.

Ron
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (9th September 2015)
Old 9th September 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,455 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I remember someone posting somewhere that a friend of theirs who worked at Zeiss said 'Canon lenses - meh! Nikon lenses - meh! Olympus lenses - hmm!

It's a bit cryptic, but I guess it means that the Zeiss person thought that Canon and Nikon lenses didn't compare with Zeiss ones, but that Olympus ones probably did.

Regardless, Canon have produced some notoriously dreadful consumer 'coke bottle bottom' lenses!

Jim
A long time ago (pre digital) I had a friend who worked for Leica. I seem to recall him saying that Olympus lenses were considered to be the closest competition for overall optical quality.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th September 2015

Liked 2,270 Times in 1,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
................. the teacher told the class that Canon are the best brand, followed by Nikon. Really?
He probably thinks BMW make the best cars followed by Mercedes, Dyson the best vacuum cleaners and Bose the best HiFi and so on.

I would think it's more likely that the teacher has a Canon himself and knows how to use Canon, so it would be expecting too much to help a student use any other type of camera.

He may be a very good teacher, but far too many seem to teach from textbooks these days, and are completely out of their depth when faced with a question from the real world.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th September 2015

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

Those that can, do. Those that can't teach.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Naughty Nigel (9th September 2015)
Old 9th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
The more news articles I read concerning schools and teachers, the less confidence I have in the profession.
Don't get me started.

Our daughter has just changed sixth form college because of her poor Chemistry and Biology results, and is having to retake both subjects. She was not alone: the best scoring pupil only gained a C is AS Biology, and most were awarded a resounding 'U'.

We took this matter up with the college Principle, who concedes 'there is a problem', but insists "there are procedures that we have to follow", and "we cannot just replace staff".

So, at least twenty students have wasted a year of their lives being taught by incompetent teachers, but those teachers' welfare is more important than the student's education.

As long as teachers are held to be more important than their students, and are protected by powerful unions and inappropriate employment legislation this situation will prevail.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Johnheatingman (9th September 2015)
Old 9th September 2015

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
I'm not too worried; it was probably just an off the cuff remark but potentially it could have undermined my daughter's confidence in her camera. Luckily she does not seem at all gear orientated so no harm done. On the plus side the school has excellent facilities and they set quite a demanding project to be completed during the school holidays, before the course had even started! On the downside, I've just had to shell out 150.00 towards the cost of digital printing and darkroom consumables that she is likely to use on the course. In the end, I'm just grateful that she has the opportunity to do this.
The best tool is often that behind the equipment. Example; I drive a car designed rigorously, though not by any description fast or sporty... I am unable to find that limit and will give up soon before the car does. EM10 vs. the A_K. EM10 will win in 99% of the situations because I cannot exploit the potential available. Lesson to A_K - upgrade to EM10 mk10^1000 when it arrives. E600>EM10 happened for camera capability in low light not because it made me a better photographer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Those that can, do. Those that can't teach.
Contrarily in my experience, often they inspired, led, enthused and interested. Einstein could and taught, Pythagoras the same. Galen, Smith, Grylls all taught (or teach) in different ways.

Teaching in schools is tough, I'm sure no doubt even worse since I finished secondary education. It is not for me, I struggle with explaining the basics to people of what I know!
Ross the fiddler (10th September 2015)
Old 9th September 2015

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

Also John we've seen Freya's product, she has no problem getting the shot
Zuiko (9th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I've used Olympus, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji, Leica, Voigtlander, Minox , Yashica , Ricoh and Rollei and the best camera IMO is my iPhone - because it's always with me!

David
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_kaholik View Post
Teaching in schools is tough, I'm sure no doubt even worse since I finished secondary education.
I used to be of the 'those that can, do ...' persuasion, but after working for 35 years in a factory I got a job as a science technician in a secondary school. I always found it shocking how drained all the teaching staff looked as half-term or end of term approached.

Jim
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 1,259 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
My daughter has recently started an A Level Photography course in 6th Form and predictably she is the only pupil who uses an Olympus camera. Most use a Canon of one sort or another and the teacher told the class that Canon are the best brand, followed by Nikon. Really?
That's a shame, isn't it. Saying something like that is not just an example of what I call gearism, but it also demonstrates basic modern photographic ignorance on the part of the teacher.

Being a bit gearist can be a bit of fun (we all like new shiny kit, many photographers are in to the technical details of their craft, most of us like to belong to a tribe, manufacturers encourage it because it's how they build market share and GAS) but it's a fundamental photographic skill these days that a good photographer needs to know they can take good photographs with any modern camera.

They also need to know that some gear is a bit better for some photographic applications than others, and that no one manufacturer makes the best kit for all purposes.

It seems to me your daughter has been let down over this, but I'm sure Dad has put her right!

Another factor may well be that Jonny Teacher finds the Olympus menu system a bit challenging at times if he needs to show a pupil how to change a setting or two, and we might have some sympathy with him over that...

Probably a good idea for your daughter to have a pdf of the manual on her phone so they can both refer to it!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 10th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I used to be of the 'those that can, do ...' persuasion, but after working for 35 years in a factory I got a job as a science technician in a secondary school. I always found it shocking how drained all the teaching staff looked as half-term or end of term approached.

Jim
Teaching is not easy, but then any teacher will have known that when they signed up for the job. Teaching is also well rewarded and secure by most standards, with a good pension to look forward to in retirement.

However, I do sometimes wonder whether the teaching unions do their members any favours by constantly banging on about what a bad deal teachers have, how stressful their work is, how badly paid they are and so forth? Surely that must be demotivating to any teacher?

My bother-in-law went into teaching following redundancy, and is now Head of Science at a large combined secondary school and sixth form college. For the first two or three years he was full of enthusiasm for the job, and I'm sure still enjoys it, but he sounds more like an NUT Congress meeting these days!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 3,933 Times in 1,449 Posts

I think he was right. Nikon and canon are the best 'brands' not the best cameras! After all they probably spend more money on branding than Olympus spend on everything else. Like most things though the top brand means nothing more than that.
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 1,259 Times in 720 Posts

(RANTMODE = ON]

I think you'll find the real origin of much sniping at teachers in the state sector is most of the UK press, who all relentlessly spin the same ideological line that our public services and all who work in them are lazy bureaucratic incompetents (with the back story that the solution is to replace them with a nice shiny private system so we can save 5p in the pound income tax).

It's hardly surprising that the good teachers (nurses, doctors, social workers...) get ground down by this over time and stick up two fingers as soon as they can.

What they and their political masters don't tell us is that it'll cost us all five pounds in the pound to replace them with a private system that 60% of the population won't be able to afford.

Just ask anyone who earns under the average wage in the USA, where for example the average citizen pays 3 times as much per annum for their healthcare as the average UK citizen. Think about that for a while.

Ultimately we all get the public services we deserve.

[RANTMODE = OFF]

There, I feel better now

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (10th September 2015), Naughty Nigel (10th September 2015), Otto (10th September 2015), Zuiko (10th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Its should not be about the camera brand, but about the camera. The camera should have the necessary controls needed for the course easily accessable. Now it may be that canikon have more cameras that fall into this category and so there is a wider range to choose from (budget permitting) than when choosing from some other brands but it does not mean that the other brands do not have a cameras in their range that fulfill the requirement.

Maybe the teacher was just uncomfortable in teaching how to use a camera with ergonomics and menu systems that he/she was not familar with, but pointing this out whilst saying the choice of camera (given it had the necessary features that were going to be taught) was down to the individual would have been a beter way to go.

It remind me that schools nowdays recommend a very small range of calculators to enable them to easily teach a whole class of 30 pupils how to use them. In a A-Level photography class of probably no more than 10 people I would expect more personal tuition and the ability to cope with slight variations in the equipment to be used.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 10th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
(RANTMODE = ON]

I think you'll find the real origin of much sniping at teachers in the state sector is most of the UK press, who all relentlessly spin the same ideological line that our public services and all who work in them are lazy bureaucratic incompetents (with the back story that the solution is to replace them with a nice shiny private system so we can save 5p in the pound income tax).

It's hardly surprising that the good teachers (nurses, doctors, social workers...) get ground down by this over time and stick up two fingers as soon as they can.

What they and their political masters don't tell us is that it'll cost us all five pounds in the pound to replace them with a private system that 60% of the population won't be able to afford.

Just ask anyone who earns under the average wage in the USA, where for example the average citizen pays 3 times as much per annum for their healthcare as the average UK citizen. Think about that for a while.

Ultimately we all get the public services we deserve.

[RANTMODE = OFF]

There, I feel better now
That is all very true.

But many inner city schools cost significantly more per head than sending a child to Eton.

Our own recent experience of the state system is the schools exist, first and foremost for the benefit of the teachers, and that the education of students is not a priority.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing