Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd March 2019

Liked 361 Times in 235 Posts
Recent Thread Closure

It is now over 24 hours since the most recent thread closure. Shenstone stated this was only a temporary measure to allow Admin time to debate.

Are we, as members, going to be given the courtesy of being informed what decision has been reached or is it a case of No Comment and the thread simply to remain closed ?

Jax
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Darkroom (23rd March 2019), Naughty Nigel (23rd March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,631 Times in 943 Posts
Re: Recent Thread Closure

We have always been concerned about threads that become “personal”.

While the “Lounge” is available for virtually any discussion and opinions, it’s never nice to see the tone turn negative or even nasty...

Saying things that you would likely not say to someone, face to face, has that huge disadvantage of lacking the body language and expressions that often give a remark a very different slant.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Darkroom (23rd March 2019), Jim Ford (23rd March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Liked 552 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
..... or is it a case of No Comment and the thread simply to remain closed ?

Hopefully .....
The Following User Liked This Post:
Darkroom (23rd March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
We have always been concerned about threads that become “personal”.

While the “Lounge” is available for virtually any discussion and opinions, it’s never nice to see the tone turn negative or even nasty...

Saying things that you would likely not say to someone, face to face, has that huge disadvantage of lacking the body language and expressions that often give a remark a very different slant.

Very valid comment Graham but unfortunately, with the same skill as a seasoned politician, you have managed to totally avoid the question asked.

Jax
Darkroom (23rd March 2019), Naughty Nigel (23rd March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Very valid comment Graham but unfortunately, with the same skill as a seasoned politician, you have managed to totally avoid the question asked.

Jax
I can’t help but wonder if having any skills of politicians is the ultimate insult...

I do accept your point and will bring it back to attention.

The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Darkroom (23rd March 2019)
Darkroom (23rd March 2019), Jax (23rd March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Quote:
I can’t help but wonder if having any skills of politicians is the ultimate insult...

I do accept your point and will bring it back to attention.

There was no insult intended Graham although I do agree with you that it could have been considered so

Thank you for bringing it back to attention.

Jax
Old 23rd March 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,500 Posts
Liked 4,585 Times in 2,184 Posts

Quote:
It is now over 24 hours since the most recent thread closure. Shenstone stated this was only a temporary measure to allow Admin time to debate.

Are we, as members, going to be given the courtesy of being informed what decision has been reached or is it a case of No Comment and the thread simply to remain closed ?

Jax
Unfortunately we do have lives outside the forum and it is not always possible for the four of us to consult each other as quickly as we would like. In this instance Ian has been busy with the Photo Show, editing his pod cast and, I believe, attending a certain demonstration in London today, which is perhaps a more appropriate platform for expressing views on the most topical current affair than a photo forum.

Graham has only just returned from holiday and needs time to get up to date with what's been happening. My 92 year old Mum had a heart operation on Thursday and my wife and son continue to suffer ill health, requiring regular hospital appointments. Oh, and then there is my Parkinson's, which quickly gets out of control when I get any stress. Despite all this Andy, Ian and I have had preliminary discussions on the options available to us, including some form of restricted forum page that would be less strictly moderated but available only on application.

Of course, we could simply tire of all the hassle that political topics cause us and the constant criticism of the way we moderate these threads and adopt a No Politics policy like many other photo forums. So, are you going to allow us time to review our policy in a measured, thoughtful way or not?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
RobEW (23rd March 2019), shotokan101 (24th March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Unfortunately we do have lives outside the forum and it is not always possible for the four of us to consult each other as quickly as we would like. In this instance Ian has been busy with the Photo Show, editing his pod cast and, I believe, attending a certain demonstration in London today, which is perhaps a more appropriate platform for expressing views on the most topical current affair than a photo forum.

Graham has only just returned from holiday and needs time to get up to date with what's been happening. My 92 year old Mum had a heart operation on Thursday and my wife and son continue to suffer ill health, requiring regular hospital appointments. Oh, and then there is my Parkinson's, which quickly gets out of control when I get any stress. Despite all this Andy, Ian and I have had preliminary discussions on the options available to us, including some form of restricted forum page that would be less strictly moderated but available only on application.

Of course, we could simply tire of all the hassle that political topics cause us and the constant criticism of the way we moderate these threads and adopt a No Politics policy like many other photo forums. So, are you going to allow us time to review our policy in a measured, thoughtful way or not?
Jeeez ! Calm down, take a deep breath ! I only asked

Jax
Darkroom (23rd March 2019), shotokan101 (24th March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,500 Posts
Liked 4,585 Times in 2,184 Posts

Quote:
Jeeez ! Calm down, take a deep breath ! I only asked

Jax
Thank you for your advice

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
shotokan101 (24th March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Liked 552 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
.... adopt a No Politics policy like many other photo forums.
Good idea. Simple to moderate too, just delete anything that breaks the rule.
Gwyver (23rd March 2019), MJ224 (23rd March 2019), RobEW (23rd March 2019), Zuiko (23rd March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Liked 164 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengeo View Post
Good idea. Simple to moderate too, just delete anything that breaks the rule.
As the member who made the original complaint, I think that having a No Politics rule may go some way towards reducing friction but not entirely.

Certain members seem to delight in making aggressive, inconsiderate posts and have a history of doing so, whether the subject is politics or not.

I appreciate as Graham pointed out, in a textual medium instead of face to face, these comments are sometimes mis-interpreted so we can possibly all be guilty occasionally. However, until the members who DO enjoy making aggressive and unsavoury comments either learn restraint or are dealt with by Admin, IMHO the problem will continue.

Maybe as opposed to a closed, application only, political thread, we should create "The Boxing Ring" where these members can vent their spleen, argue, fight, be agressive, just be their normal selves with no restrictions.

Darkroom
Jax (23rd March 2019), Naughty Nigel (23rd March 2019), shotokan101 (24th March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Quote:

This seems to be a rather unnecessary over reaction by an Administrator to what is a genuine polite basic question from a forum member.

Darkroom
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkroom For This Useful Post:
Jax (23rd March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019
Administrator

No where near comparison with John, but I was also in hospital yesterday having an operation on my nose...

Now it’s much better looking and shorter so as not to activate the touchscreen

Darkroom (23rd March 2019), Jax (23rd March 2019), Naughty Nigel (23rd March 2019), sapper (23rd March 2019), shotokan101 (24th March 2019)
Old 23rd March 2019

Quote:
No where near comparison with John, but I was also in hospital yesterday having an operation on my nose...

Now it’s much better looking and shorter so as not to activate the touchscreen
That's good news Graham I sincerely hope the operation was not due to an attack of Pinocchioitus

Darkroom
Old 23rd March 2019

Liked 182 Times in 124 Posts

From my point of view its all harmless handbags at ten paces type stuff.
Happy to repeat anything I've ever written face to face, hardly vile abuse.

By their own admission the vast majority on here are getting on in years a bit.
Bit ironic that some take offense very quickly yet would condemn the younger generation for being over sensitive.

Why not just let things run. what's the worst outcome?
Someone flounces off or gets the sulks, not exactly the end of the world.
After all you can just choose to not look at a particular section or thread
Jim Ford (23rd March 2019), shotokan101 (24th March 2019)