Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 1st October 2019

Liked 4,100 Times in 1,890 Posts
October 2019 Photo Challenge: Beer

October 2019 Photo Challenge Subject: Beer

To enter, simply post your picture in this thread between now and 31st October. After which there will be a two week voting period during which all members (not just those who have entered the competition) will be encouraged to vote for their favourites by using the 'Like' button. 1st, 2nd & 3rd places will be allocated and these will ultimately count towards the title of E-System User Photographer of the Year. However, do bear in mind that each monthly round is a separate competition in its own right and you can enter as many or as few rounds as you wish.

Add up to three LIKE votes when you decide you have seen the best photographs. Voting begins on November 1st.

We'll try to keep the rules simple, but we must have a few:-

1) Enter one picture only. You are able to change or delete your entry during the month. There is no time limit on the submitted photo. The Title is a description, and your interpretation is your decision.

2) All entries must have been taken on an Olympus E-System body (Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds), or non-Olympus body but using an Olympus Zuiko E-System lens or an Olympus digital compact such as the XZ-1 or the Tough Cameras.

3) Three votes per member, please. You do not need to have entered the competition in order to vote.

4) If you vote for more than three pictures, none of your votes will count. But, you will be asked to remove any extra Likes.

5) You can change your mind at any time during the voting period simply by removing your original Likes before allocating it to your new choice.

6) Please do not vote whilst the challenge is still open. You will not have seen all of the submissions, so cannot make a fair decision. Votes made before the end of the Challenge will be ignored or wiped by admin!

Not a rule but you are asked to try and keep to a size of photo that is easy to view. The "preferred" size is as near to the full width of the screen as you can achieve. Larger than that and it becomes difficult to see the submission in the whole. This is for landscape orientation. For portrait orientation, I think its best to keep to the depth of the screen, again for easy viewing. As said this not a rule, just do the best you can. There will be a thread about photo sizes, and no doubt there will be good advice on hoe to achieve this....

I think I have covered everything but please do let me know if I have missed anything.

Now, let's see lots of entries and good luck to all those who participate!

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 1st October 2019

Liked 350 Times in 110 Posts
Re: October 2019 Photo Challenge: Beer

Temptation outside Gloucester Brewery.

Tim

Old 10th October 2019

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (4 Weeks Ago), griffljg (3 Weeks Ago), IainMacD (3 Weeks Ago), Keith-369 (4 Weeks Ago), peak4 (4 Weeks Ago), Phill D (3 Weeks Ago), Walti_too (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 913 Times in 295 Posts

Maybe I've had one too many!

Bikie John (4 Weeks Ago), blu-by-u (4 Weeks Ago), IPWheatley (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 13th October 2019

Liked 182 Times in 124 Posts

The famous Antwerp "Bolleke" seen and tasted here at the De Koninck brewery

Barr1e (4 Weeks Ago), Bikie John (4 Weeks Ago), griffljg (3 Weeks Ago), jonesy (4 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago), peak4 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 14th October 2019

We are in need for more entries on this one. Take your camera to the pub..

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 16th October 2019

Liked 759 Times in 504 Posts

A busy night......

Slainte/salud/prost/cheers ... John
GreyOldMan (3 Weeks Ago), jonesy (4 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago), OM USer (4 Weeks Ago), Phill D (3 Weeks Ago), TravelingChick (4 Weeks Ago), Walti_too (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 16th October 2019

Liked 416 Times in 176 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
We are in need for more entries on this one. Take your camera to the pub..
That reminds me of when we were first year Engineering students. We has a course called Engineering Analysis and Design (EAD). One of our EAD projects was to test the strength of cans which could contain soft drink, or beer, or cider, or whatever.

Task number 1: Gather a suitable number of empty beer cans........

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
Old 16th October 2019

Liked 485 Times in 230 Posts

Had a few on Flickr to choose from but this was my favourite.
This went down a treat at the end of a long day at a conference at "The Hotel" in Brussels with a spectacular view of the Palais de Justice in the background.

Backlit Beer in Bruxelles by AMc UK, on Flickr
Barr1e (4 Weeks Ago), Bikie John (4 Weeks Ago), GreyOldMan (3 Weeks Ago), IainMacD (3 Weeks Ago), IPWheatley (3 Weeks Ago), OwenMc (3 Weeks Ago), TravelingChick (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 20th October 2019

Liked 45 Times in 23 Posts

Sunday Lunchtime With Friends. by Ian Wheatley, on Flickr

I call this Sunday Lunchtime With Friends. Taken many years ago on an old Olympus film camera, don't remember which as it was so long ago. I know it doesn't strictly meet the comp rules but as entries seem a bit thin on the ground this month thought I would give it a go. Feel free to remove it if its not eligible. Regards, Ian W.
090657 (4 Weeks Ago), Bikie John (22nd October 2019), chris (4 Weeks Ago), griffljg (24th October 2019), IainMacD (3 Weeks Ago), jonesy (4 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (22nd October 2019), OM USer (4 Weeks Ago), Phill D (24th October 2019), shenstone (4 Weeks Ago), timboo (2 Weeks Ago), Walti_too (3 Weeks Ago), wornish (22nd October 2019)
Old 22nd October 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,500 Posts
Liked 4,585 Times in 2,184 Posts

It's a terrific shot, Ian, but as you rightly say, being shot on film it doesn't fit the terms of the competition. In fairness to other members we cannot allow this picture to take part in the judging and any votes for it will be void - members please take note when voting!

However, unless there are any objections I would like to continue to display the photo in this thread as inspiration for the theme. Nice one, Ian!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (22nd October 2019)
Old 22nd October 2019

I am fine with that John, only stuck it in due to the low entries this month. In future you could maybe stretch it to entries taken with other brands of camera as I am sure there are many members on this forum who are not exclusively Olympus shooters. Run it past Mark and the other Mods to see what they think. As for my snap, by all means leave it till the end of the month. Regards to all, Ian W.
Old 22nd October 2019

Liked 759 Times in 504 Posts

As one of the other entrants I would be quite happy to go up against it. In fact it is my favourite so far - I can almost smell the beer, fags and general stale gentlemen's odour coming through the screen!

But as John doesn't say, the forum is here to showcase Olympus 4/3 and m4/3 cameras and lenses, and such support as we get from them depends on us doing just that. I know we are not too picky with the general photography threads, and it is always good to see what people do with everything from a phone to a giant telescope, but really this challenge is to show what we can do with the Oly gear.

Thanks for entering it Ian, I shall stick a "like" on it purely as a like rather than a vote. I hope it doesn't complicate things too much for Mark with the totting up.

John
griffljg (22nd October 2019), MJ224 (22nd October 2019), OM USer (23rd October 2019), Phill D (24th October 2019), wornish (22nd October 2019)
Old 22nd October 2019

Thanks for your kind comments John and I am glad you liked the shot. It was taken in my local in the mid 70s. I had noticed the suns rays streaming through the windows on previous visits and thought it would make an interesting shot, what with the cigarette smoke and shafts of light etc., so I went armed with my camera on my next visit and came up with this. Originally shot on slide film but the result, when I came to scan it, looked poor, hence the B&W conversion, which to me works far better. As its been ruled ineligible for this months competition I would urge you not to waste one of your valuable votes on it, who knows, with still over a week to go there may be something that you find you like better. Thanks again for your positive feedback, all the best, Ian W.
Old 22nd October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPWheatley View Post
Thanks for your kind comments John and I am glad you liked the shot. It was taken in my local in the mid 70s. I had noticed the suns rays streaming through the windows on previous visits and thought it would make an interesting shot, what with the cigarette smoke and shafts of light etc., so I went armed with my camera on my next visit and came up with this. Originally shot on slide film but the result, when I came to scan it, looked poor, hence the B&W conversion, which to me works far better. As its been ruled ineligible for this months competition I would urge you not to waste one of your valuable votes on it, who knows, with still over a week to go there may be something that you find you like better. Thanks again for your positive feedback, all the best, Ian W.
Thanks John for your clarification. I agree with your thoughts here. There is no reflection on Ian and his photo, but allowing this as an entry could open the floodgate to any film camera, as obviously the pedigree cannot be verified....I too like the photo, and have liked it accordingly. It does not complicate anything, as the entry will not count. So some of us might have 4 likes this month.....Silver lining jobbie...………...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr