Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 29th November 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
B+W Filters

Being from the days of film photography, my OCD will not allow me to go around with expensive lenses without protective filters (except the Olympus 7-14 f2.8 of course). Up to now I used rather basic ones but after reading an article about how they affected image quality due to reflections etc, I decided to upgrade. From B&H photovideo of New York I ordered high quality B+W XS-Pro multi-coated filters for all my lenses; they should arrive next week.

They are made of German Schott glass and have excellent reviews. But what do the forum colleagues think of B+W filters?
Old 29th November 2016

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts
Re: B+W Filters

My view may be considered old fashioned in these hightech days, but I use filters to protect the glass only, and remove them when photographing.

If a company spends 1.000.000 to develope a lens, I want to see the natural results as intended.
Old 29th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
My view may be considered old fashioned in these hightech days, but I use filters to protect the glass only, and remove them when photographing.
I do that sometimes but find it inconvenient and impractical. I tend to take a lot of family pictures and taking the filter on and off is not an option on zoom lenses that are frequently used. At present I have cheap Fujiyama filters on the 45mm and 75mm Olympus lenses and like you, remove them before taking portraits. But that is only once in a while. I use the 14-42mm and 40-150mm quite often and would like quality filters to leave on all the time. I also now have the 14-150mm in my other bag and will need a good filter that I can leave on all the time; I expect the B+W one should suffice.
Old 29th November 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

I use B+W MRC nano coated on my Leica M lenses and leave then in situ, permanently. Any reduction in optical performance is minimal. Relax...

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (29th November 2016)
Old 29th November 2016

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

I think that many people work this way, and I have no argument at all. All of my protection filters are good quality Hoya, but I am just in the habit of taking the filter off as I pick the camera up.

On the other hand, I would never dream of packing up without fitting the filter back in position.

In 52 years I have had to replace several broken filters from knocks, bangs and drops, but, touch wood, never had to replace a lens yet!
Old 29th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I use B+W MRC nano coated on my Leica M lenses and leave then in situ, permanently. Any reduction in optical performance is minimal. Relax...
Whew! Thanks for that. I know that I'm mad but the idea of leaving a lens without a protective filter even in a neoprene case and in a padded bag gives me the heebie-jeebies. The unfiltered Olympus 7-14mm gets additional squares of foam at both ends as it lies within its case.

There is a story behind this. Back in 1964 as a 9-year old, I accidentally dropped and broke an expensive German made prism and by the upset caused to its owner, I realised the damage that I had done. I was not punished for it but the incident made such a deep impression on me that since then I have been extra careful with optical instruments of any kind. Hence the paranoia about my lenses. My wife gets annoyed often while we are on holiday because I am so careful while changing lenses and don't allow anyone to come near me.
Old 29th November 2016

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts

B+W Nano coated for me, apart from the excellent quality, I've always found them very easy to clean. Do like to shoot without filter, when I feel comfortable the lens is not going to suffer any damaged, making me wonder what the majority of pro's do !
Old 30th November 2016

Liked 1,282 Times in 729 Posts

These days I only use 'protective' filters routinely on a couple of lenses which have very curved front elements - e.g. the Panny 12-35 f2.8 - because it's difficult to wipe water or dust out of the extremities of the glass.

I always use lens hoods to protect the lenses, of course.

I do use protective filters (often the Marumi ones, which are I think hydrophobic and you can blow off water with a Giottos blower) for seaside photography.

I have marked the front glass of only one lens in my life - it was one of my 4/3 Zuiko wide angles (maybe the 11-22?) and this happened when it spent a day in my camera bag without a filter on, but the lens cap and come loose and that rubbed on the glass while the lens was front-element-down.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 30th November 2016

I wonder why manufacturers don't design lenses with detachable front elements? That way, if it gets marked, only that part needs to be replaced.
Old 30th November 2016

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
I wonder why manufacturers don't design lenses with detachable front elements? That way, if it gets marked, only that part needs to be replaced.
Many do (including Olympus) - but changing the front element is termed a repair and ideally would involve some post-repair QA test equipment to verify that the job has been done properly.
Old 30th November 2016

Liked 133 Times in 96 Posts

I tend to use a lens cap to protect my lens when it's not in use & a hood much of the time when in use. A protection filter doesn't seem worthwhile to me unless shooting in severe conditions such as the beach.

However as I shoot quite a bit with a full spectrum converted camera I do use filters a lot when they make real differences to what the sensor sees.

Old Black & White ones can be very useful for some of these - but I gather it's the B&W brand you are referring to...

I don't think I have any myself but they do have a good reputation. I do have some Schott glass but it's as 25mm diameter unmounted discs. Quality seems petty good though mine were not sold for photography.
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 4,096 Times in 1,513 Posts

I use the MRC ones as they are very easy to clean. There are a lot of fakes about though so be careful where you buy them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beagletorque For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (2nd December 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
There are a lot of fakes about though so be careful where you buy them.
I bought them all from B&H Photovideo of New York, a respectable High Street trader if ever there was one. I could not get the two 46mm silver UV filters that I wanted for the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and the new PanLeica 15mm f1.7 lenses. My OCD would never allow me to commit the blasphemy of putting black filters on silver lenses and so this morning I phoned Foto Mayr near Stuttgart and asked them to help, knowing that B+W did make them. They said that they would try and find them for me within the week.

I need my head examined.
Old 2nd December 2016

Liked 1,282 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
I bought them all from B&H Photovideo of New York, a respectable High Street trader if ever there was one. I could not get the two 46mm silver UV filters that I wanted for the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and the new PanLeica 15mm f1.7 lenses. My OCD would never allow me to commit the blasphemy of putting black filters on silver lenses and so this morning I phoned Foto Mayr near Stuttgart and asked them to help, knowing that B+W did make them. They said that they would try and find them for me within the week.

I need my head examined.
Ha!

I'd better not tell you I have a black E-M1 and a silver E-M5ii and use a variety of black and silver Oly & Panny lenses on both...

Just don't think about it...

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Loup Garou (2nd December 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Ha!

I'd better not tell you I have a black E-M1 and a silver E-M5ii and use a variety of black and silver Oly & Panny lenses on both...

Just don't think about it...

I thought about it. The silver cameras are really silver & black and so one can use black or silver lenses with a silver body

But a silver lens on a black body??!!

Mind you, my "matching filter" obsession is for UV filters only since they remain on the lens all the time (unless other filters are being used). But I am quite flexible with "occasional" filters like CPLs, soft focus, neutral density, star etc. I regularly chop and change with those.

So, there is hope for me after all.