Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 10th November 2007
beardedwombat

New or used 50-200mm?

So all my carefully collected Nikon gear and some other stuff to fund my new E-3 is simmering nicely on Ebay and comes to the boil tomorrow evening. I have already ordered an E-3+12-60 and would like a 50-200 to go with it. The question is, should I buy a new 50-200 swd or a second hand non-swd jobbie. If I buy the latter, then I can possibly afford an FL-36R and an EC-14 or EC-20. To me this is a no-brainer as the slightly faster focussing of the swd lens is not worth the usefulness of the other two items - or am I missing something?
Chris
Old 10th November 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,692 Times in 768 Posts
Re: New or used 50-200mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
So all my carefully collected Nikon gear and some other stuff to fund my new E-3 is simmering nicely on Ebay and comes to the boil tomorrow evening. I have already ordered an E-3+12-60 and would like a 50-200 to go with it. The question is, should I buy a new 50-200 swd or a second hand non-swd jobbie. If I buy the latter, then I can possibly afford an FL-36R and an EC-14 or EC-20. To me this is a no-brainer as the slightly faster focussing of the swd lens is not worth the usefulness of the other two items - or am I missing something?
Chris
That's a really good question. I briefly used the new 50-200 SWD at the Istanbul E-3 intro event for journos earlier this week. As the focus mechanism has a longer throw than the 12-60, naturally it's not as 'snappy' when auto focusing. On the other hand, it does seem that the optics have been upgraded - the older lens is very good anyway, though not quite as impressive as the 'Top Pro' classification Zuiko Digitals. But then the new 50-200 is not classified as a Top Pro either. Having SWD means you have nicer manual focus, of course.

Tough call!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 10th November 2007
beardedwombat

I tried the "old" 50-200 with an E-3 at the Park Cameras event and felt that the focussing was equally as good as the Nikon SWM lenses I have and with which I have been happy. I had not considered the manual focussing aspect and, although I am likely to use manual focus more because of live-view, I don't have a problem with my fly-by-wire E-510 kit lenses. So, I think its going to be a used "old" 50-200 + FL-36R + EC14 (or EC-20) - yippee! Of course all I need now is my E-3...................
Chris
Old 10th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the 50-200 (old) is a great lens, I'd definately go for the lens + EC-1.4 (2.0) combo, in fact I already have. The FBW focussing isn't all bad news once you get used to it. It's really easy to tweak it using a fingertip rather than needing finger and thumb.

Good Luck with the Sale
Old 10th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the old type 50-200 (don't suppose too many have the new one!) which I use on my 510. Being a bit of an anorak I like to photograph trains (freight) and I have never had a problem with obtaining focus or focus tracking. The upshot is I will have to be convinced big time that changing is worthwhile.

Mike
Old 10th November 2007
beardedwombat

Thanks guys, for confirming my decision - Looking forward to using a 50-200 on my 510 while waiting for the E-3.
Chris
Old 11th November 2007
Hiding_Pup

Have the old 50-200mm but, instead of stumping up for an EC-14, I picked up an old Nikkor 300mm f4.5 AI (they're often available for around the 60-80 mark) and have been very pleased with the results:

The 200+ you'd save on not buying the EC-14/20 could buy you a back-up E-1, or a little E-410 for not-so-heavy-camera days...
Old 11th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very nice shot, the Nikkor certainly delivers
Old 11th November 2007
beardedwombat

I have been using a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 on my 510 with an Ebay Hong Kong adaptor so the idea of a Nikkor long lens is a good one. The disadvantage is more weight and bulk but there is that cost saving........
Chris
Old 11th November 2007
beardedwombat

Just purchased a used, supposedly unmarked, 50-200 on Fleabay, at £463 it was a bit more than I wanted to pay but that's auctions for you! Bit of a gamble of course as these things always are. Assuming all is ok when it arrives, I hope it lives up to its reputation. My Nikon gear is still simmering away nicely on Ebay with a couple of hours to go so all I need now is that luvverly E-3 on order from Park Cameras. I am deeply fortunate to have had the collection of Nikon gear because if I was starting from scratch there is no way I could now afford the E-3. My shutter finger is itching to use it..........
Cheers
Chris
Old 11th November 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,692 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
Just purchased a used, supposedly unmarked, 50-200 on Fleabay, at 463 it was a bit more than I wanted to pay but that's auctions for you! Bit of a gamble of course as these things always are. Assuming all is ok when it arrives, I hope it lives up to its reputation. My Nikon gear is still simmering away nicely on Ebay with a couple of hours to go so all I need now is that luvverly E-3 on order from Park Cameras. I am deeply fortunate to have had the collection of Nikon gear because if I was starting from scratch there is no way I could now afford the E-3. My shutter finger is itching to use it..........
Cheers
Chris
Cor, the price at 54 mins to go is pretty good - hope it goes well for you, Chris!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 11th November 2007
beardedwombat

Erm....yes! Bit more than I was expecting to tell the truth. Not complaining though! Now, how much is a 7-14.......
Old 13th November 2007
johnc

Forget how much- the 7-14 is just sooooooooo sweet! Shouldn't be mentioning it in the telephoto section I'm sure, but.........
Old 13th November 2007
beardedwombat

Received my Ebay 50-200mm today, mint apart from a couple of minor marks under the tripod mount. Optics and focussing with my 510 seem spot on and it is shaarrrp! Well pleased. Anyone thinking of buying one of these for a 510 should not be put off by the apparent bulk. Yes it's big and appears to overwhelm the camera, but it balances very well with the left hand under the zoom ring which is where the centre of gravity roughly is when attached to a 510. My first impression is that its reputation is well deserved. Now, where's my E-3............
Old 13th November 2007
Hiding_Pup

I remember being a bit overawed but its size (stepped up from the old 40-150) but it truly is small for what it is...