Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4th August 2018

Liked 3,193 Times in 1,723 Posts
Re: The Windows10 Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Unless I'm missing something the most frustrating aspect of Win10 is the inability to display two web pages side by side on the home screen.
I have two screens side by side. No problem.

Harold
Johnheatingman (4th August 2018)
Old 4th August 2018

Liked 3,193 Times in 1,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
(why does it always want to update when I want to shut the pc down and leave the house in a hurry?)
In Settings, Windows Update, you should be able to set a day up to 5 days later, for a pending installation to happen. I put mine off for weeks by repeatedly don that.

Harold
Old 4th August 2018

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
NT4 was nice as well.
The joke about NT4 was that it would give a message 'Windows has detected that your mouse has moved. Please reboot for new settings to take effect'!

Jim
Old 4th August 2018

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

My objection to Win 10 is on four main points really:

- It's so UGLY. Win 7 had a very consistent and cohesive UI design and I liked it. Win 10 is a dog's breakfast of mixed UIs (Metro + Win classic) and to make it worse, it's all so flat, grey and monotonous. Ugly, ugly, ugly - did I mention ugly!

- It's trying to be an OS for both a tablet and a desktop and failing on both. Apple's approach is better - MacOS for the desktop and iOS for tablets and phones. Trying to ram both desktop and tablet into one experience just doesn't work. The prime example is that awful Win 10 tiles stuff - it's bad enough on a tablet, but just totally inappropriate on a desktop.

- It's really not that stable. My work laptop is a Microsoft Surface Book and yet I get frequent BSODs. Microsoft OS on Microsoft hardware should be better than this.

- The system for installing updates is clunky, unstable and can easily eat up hours of your CPU time doing precisely nothing. It also leaves GB of archive stuff on your hard disk that just can't be deleted.

My desktop at home (self build from MoBo upwards) runs Win 7 and it's fast and stable. I love it.

As regards Mac - I really like lots of things about Macs (nice OS, great hardware, beautiful UI), but I struggle to go Apple for two main reasons:

- The Apple eco-system is highly proprietary and closed. They'll exploit you commercially since you won't have options to go elsewhere.

- It's over-priced.

I've got seriously close to buying a Macbook before but these points have always made me hesitate.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (5th August 2018), Johnheatingman (4th August 2018), Naughty Nigel (4th August 2018)
Old 4th August 2018

Liked 2,277 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
My desktop at home (self build from MoBo upwards) runs Win 7 and it's fast and stable. I love it.

As regards Mac - I really like lots of things about Macs (nice OS, great hardware, beautiful UI), but I struggle to go Apple for two main reasons:

- The Apple eco-system is highly proprietary and closed. They'll exploit you commercially since you won't have options to go elsewhere.

- It's over-priced.

I've got seriously close to buying a Macbook before but these points have always made me hesitate.
But Apple has a strong cult following and the Apple acolytes won't have a word said against the company!

I do like a lot of Apple equipment, and the OS is slick, but it is far too closed and far too expensive. The hardware is expensive enough to begin with, but the adaptors that you need to make it work can easily add 200 to the cost.

I like the MacBooks, although they are very heavy. However, I rely on mobile internet (4G) which Apple simply doesn't support. I have queried this, and was told that Apple expects you to buy an iPhone or 4G enabled iPad to pair with the MacBook. I have had built in internet in my Toshiba laptops since about 2005, so why not Apple? Its not as if they don't have the technology.

And why does Apple make it impossible to add SD card storage to the iPhone and iPad? Presumably the same reason that they don't allow you to upgrade the Mac Mini or the iMac. They want the money up front, and want the lower spec machines to become obsolete as soon as possible.

Whatever criticism you level at Windows machines at least most of them can easily be repaired and upgraded without the help of a 'Genius'.

Interestingly, I don't think IOS is quite as quick and slick as Apple would like us to believe. Both my iPod and iPad wake up virtually instantly from their usual 'sleeping' state, but that means the battery runs flat within a few days. I therefore turn mine off altogether if I don't need them, but a cold boot takes ages - much longer than Windows 8.1 or my Sony phone, so maybe the OS is not 'streamlined like a Porsche' after all.

As for the dreaded BSOD, I can honesty say that I have not seen that for about ten years, when I think I was using XP, and that was caused by a hardware fault. I use my computers fairly intensively and don't seem to suffer anything like the problems that others do.

As for operating systems, I bought NT4.5 I think but never got around to using it. I installed Windows 2000 which I found very stable and only upgraded to XP because a new version of Photoshop refused to install on it. I understand that Adobe has pulled this stunt again, and that the latest version will only run on Windows 10.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Old 4th August 2018

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
It is interesting to note, no matter how much some people say they hate Win10 or how vocal they seem to be in pointing out it's shortfalls and praising Apple........... they are still Windows 10 users.

John
Hobson's choice.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 5th August 2018

Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,298 Posts
Liked 2,339 Times in 1,111 Posts

Thanks for all the insight guys. Sounds like I'll be sticking with this old pc and Win7 for a little while longer at least.
Old 5th August 2018

Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,298 Posts
Liked 2,339 Times in 1,111 Posts

So in theory it should last a couple of years then.
Wonder when/if Win 10 will be updated?
Old 5th August 2018

Liked 861 Times in 550 Posts

Well, the bi-annual "Feature Updates" have been fairly major so far. They have however generally improved the product, apart from unilaterally removing "unsigned" hardware drivers such as my scanners which is unforgiveable in my opinion. If a major update occurs I get a blank space on the desktop where Epson Scan used to be for example and have to reinstall it. Considering how much aggravation new versions of Windows have caused in the past I hope that 10 will be the last version. The PC I'm writing this on is probably eight years old at least (I bought it about the time Vista was being introduced and luckily specified XP instead!) but it runs 10 Professional generally smoothly and reliably - I haven't seen a BSoD for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 5th August 2018

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

For all its faults its still the choice of the majority of people. I hated Win10 when I first started using it but have come to terms with it. Regarding updates, it is a problem. Take the latest. Went to load my latest batch of snaps on Thursday, clicked on the folder in Pictures to preview them and it opened in Photoshop by default. Microsoft have disabled the Picture folder option and replaced it with something they call Paint3D. Total crap, useless piece of garbage. Solution? I downloaded FastStone Picture Viewer for free and in the settings/default option made it my default picture viewer and I think its better than the old My Pictures option. Has this happened to anyone else here? If not be aware, it will do sooner rather than later. Yet another example of Microsoft forcing another piece of crap upon us. What next? The disabling of the option to download non Microsoft approved apps, they wouldn't dare. Would they? Regards, IW.
Old 5th August 2018

Not sure what you mean by "Picture folder option" IW. I have all my picture folders visible under "Pictures" in File Explorer and can easily create new folders.

I don't use the "Photos" app because it's slow and cumbersome and I hate the way it "organises" my pictures the way it wants to, not the way I want to. Instead I've kept the old Windows Photo Viewer as my default for opening picture files.

Machines with Win10 pre-installed may not have Photo Viewer available but it can be downloaded from a number of sources. You might need to set the default in the "Properties" for each type of image file you want to use with it because it may well not appear in the Settings>Apps>Default apps.

The same goes for video files for which I use the old Windows Media Player because the "Movies & TV" app is so ghastly!
Old 5th August 2018

Thanked 1,517 Times in 1,468 Posts
Liked 4,246 Times in 1,926 Posts

@IPWheatley - Regardless of any excuses we may make for WIN10 it is undeniable that it is a failed product. I'm not sure how we might fare if we launched a class action against Microsoft demanding money back and stress compensation! I too found that it won't let me run my Picture Viewer, ACDsee32, imho the best there's ever been. But I have a maxim that says, 'Good products don't survive; only the crap floats on the top'.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 5th August 2018

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

Hi Otto, The one I am referring to is found in This PC called simply Pictures. This is the one Microsoft has replaced with Paint3D at least on my laptop and Im sure yours will follow suit very shortly. BTW Mark {Pandora} has replied whilst I am to you replying to you, encountering the same problem. It seems Microsoft are rolling this crap out in the latest batch of updates. you have been warned, regards, Ian W.
Old 5th August 2018

Thanked 1,517 Times in 1,468 Posts
Liked 4,246 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Not sure what you mean by "Picture folder option" IW. I have all my picture folders visible under "Pictures" in File Explorer and can easily create new folders.

I don't use the "Photos" app because it's slow and cumbersome and I hate the way it "organises" my pictures the way it wants to, not the way I want to. Instead I've kept the old Windows Photo Viewer as my default for opening picture files.
I don't keep any images on my hard drive.
They are all backed up in two WD 2TB external "Passport" drives.
They are filed in folders by the location at which the images were shot regardless of when. Hence, when searching for a particular image I always remember where it was shot. The exception to this rule is for Birds that are filed in their respective species folder.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 5th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPWheatley View Post
Hi Otto, The one I am referring to is found in This PC called simply Pictures. This is the one Microsoft has replaced with Paint3D at least on my laptop and Im sure yours will follow suit very shortly.

Which version of Win10 are you running Ian? Mine is 10 Pro version 1803 which I'm pretty sure is the latest. Windows Update says my PC is up to date. "This PC > Pictures" simply shows me all my image folders and files as I'd expect, and if I double click on an image file it displays it using Windows Photo Viewer. Prior to me changing the default app it launched "Photos" which is ugly and s-l-o-w!

You can find which Windows version you're running under "Settings > System > About". Windows Paint has been replaced by Paint3D but I've never used it, and it's never popped up unexpectedly. If you right-click on an image file and look in "Properties", what is listed in "Opens with"? If it's Paint3D that's probably your problem. Click the "Change" button and choose your favourite viewer. That should work for Mark too.