Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 19th August 2018

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Filters affecting autofocus speed?

I never thought about the possibility that a simple UV filter can affect speed of autofocus but I discovered that it does - quite significantly so.

When I bought the Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC DN a couple of years ago, I fitted a Hoya UV filter before I even used the lens - I have always used protective filters from my film days. When I started using the lens with my EM5II, I was struck by the apparent sluggishness of autofocus, contrary to what the lens' reviews claimed. I finally realised that the UV filter might be responsible and changed to a B+W XS Pro filter and - lo & behold - the autofocus speeded up dramatically, no difference in performance without a filter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loup Garou For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (19th August 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (30th August 2018), Ross the fiddler (20th August 2018)
Old 19th August 2018

Liked 1,255 Times in 718 Posts
Re: Filters affecting autofocus speed?

There was an interesting discussion along these lines on the OMD Education FaceBook Group a while ago.

It’s impossible to find FB threads once they’ve passed, but as I recall several people reported similar problems with filters on the 300 f4. Someone noted that issues were commoner with focusing of longer FL lenses.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 21st August 2018

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Filters affecting autofocus speed?

Initially fitted an inexpensive uv filter to my 300mm f4 pro. Felt the front element was too vulnerable to damage, at least until I'd gained confidence handling my new purchase.
Glad I did various test shots with/without the filter, difference in image quality was dramatic and that filter won't get used again. B+W XS Pro are my usual choice but the M.ZUIKO PRF-ZD77 PRO protection filter was available at an extremely good price and that's what I have on the front of my lens, it's a top quality filter.
Using the EM1-mk2, not noticed any issues with focussing speed/performance with the filter in place.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to bassman For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (22nd August 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (22nd August 2018)