Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 7th November 2017

Liked 187 Times in 128 Posts
Manfrotto 410 geared head - spares or repair

From that E**y site I've acquired a nice 055CXPRO tripod with a slightly duff 410 geared head attached. The controls are so stiff to turn that it not very usable, especially towards the extremes of the adjustments. And I have strong hands. On Googling I find it's a known problem and might be fixable by stripping down, regreasing and reassembling. I'm not really adept at refurbishing. The head also has a Hejnar conversion clamp fitted to make it compatible with ARCA Swiss plates -
- and has the lever for the Manfrotto plate missing - bottom left of this preview picture.

The seller was unaware of this problem and we're negotiating a partial refund on the basis that the head is of little/no value to me. I've seen a couple of 410 heads sold on E**y described as "in need of refurbishment" for c.40 but I don't sell on that site, and he doesn't want it back to sell on that basis; he just wants to settle on an agreeable price for the legs and wash his hands of it (presumably hoping to avoid a negative review). In his ad it was apparent that he didn't know much about the kit and didn't realise the head was a separate thing. I noticed it was the 410 geared head from the photos.

So - is anyone interested in having this (410 head + Hejnar adapter) to attempt to fix for their own use (or resale), and if so is it worth anything or just a give away for the price of postage? Any offers / advice gratefully received. I think he's going to agree a refund with me which will mean I'll have got a reasonable deal even without the head, so this can go to a good home for a modest price.

Photos by the original seller here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANFROTTO...19.m1438.l2649
Old 7th November 2017

Liked 2,730 Times in 940 Posts
Re: Manfrotto 410 geared head - spares or repair

I fancy one of those and will have a go at fixing it for myself.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 7th November 2017

Ideal for your interests (and mine) - macro, architecture, landscape, panorama etc.

As I'm not sure whether or not this is worth something, would you like to make me an offer (by PM if you'd prefer) and I'll leave this ad for a day or two to see if there's any other interest. The head and adapter weigh about 3 pounds so it will cost a bit to post.

As for condition, I've tried it out again. It's not completely unusable but it's not right either.

The lower right hand adjuster (which rotates around a vertical axis) is smooth when the clutch is pulled back and sometimes smooth but sometimes a little tight when doing micro-adjustments with the knob.

The upper right hand adjuster (which rotates around a horizontal axis perpendicular to the sensor plane) is smooth with the clutch control open, but erratically stiff using the micro-adjust knob.

The front adjuster (which rotates around a horizontal axis parallel to the equator of the sensor; i.e. a nodding action, pointing camera upwards or downwards) is again smooth when the clutch is released, but erratically smooth or stiff when using the micro adjust knob.

As stated the lever for use with Manfrotto plates is missing so using the attached Hejnar Arca Swiss adapter seems the best option. Also one of the 3.5 mm Allen key slots which attaches the Hejnar seems to be almost stripped to a circle rather than a hexagon.

Some kind of repair or renovation seems to have been attempted in the past, as evidence by damage to two of the three stick-on labels which have to be removed to gain access to the Allen key fittings to disassemble.

Manfrotto seem to still supply parts: https://www.manfrottospares.com/410-parts.html
Old 7th November 2017

Change of plan - sorry to have bothered you.

The ebay seller has decided to offer me a more substantial refund if I return the head, so I can't sell here. Originally he declied this option and wanted me to hang on to it. Sorry alfbranch. (Of course he may be offering it for "spares or repair" on E**y soon. The sellers name is firstsandseconds2014)
Old 7th November 2017

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Why so coy about saying Ebay?

Jim
Old 8th November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Why so coy about saying Ebay?

Jim
Who knows? Competitor? Or just a kind of symbolic disparagement? I'm not the only one anyway.

Does anyone know how to change the status of one of these to SOLD?