Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 19th July 2017

Liked 3,198 Times in 1,727 Posts
Three Printing-Nikkor 105mm Images

These were lurking deep in my image files. The context was the Printing-Nikkor (minimum aperture f11) on my Olympus EM-1 in 2014. They were shot in aperture priority, 1/60 second at f11, with twin TTL flash.[Edit] There was a x1.5 Kiron TC behind the lens [edit ends]

For reasons I don't recall, these were stored as TIFFs. I have ensured that they are sharp and removed any noise. At this stage anyway, they have not been cropped.

Harold

MJ224 (19th July 2017)
Old 19th July 2017

Liked 3,949 Times in 1,454 Posts
Re: Three Printing-Nikkor 105mm Images

That lens has a sterling reputation, but the Oshiro appears to out perform it for high magnification?
I have a 105 bellows Nikkor, but it's not much good above 1:1 even if the resolving power is excellent.
Old 19th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
That lens has a sterling reputation, but the Oshiro appears to out perform it for high magnification?
I have a 105 bellows Nikkor, but it's not much good above 1:1 even if the resolving power is excellent.
It would be interesting to do comparisons. The Printing Nikkor 105 is not recommended for outside of 2:1 to 1:2 for its best performance. If I wanted the very best I would probably use the 150mm version which has double the range of excellent performance. Here is my first try-out of the 150mm:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1387559/

We don't know for what magnification the Laowa/Oshiro has been optimised.

The Printing-Nikkors were made half a century ago and new lens materials and computer designs are going to challenge at some time. On the other hand, you get what you pay for. The P-N 150mm cost the modern equivalent of over $110,000.

Harold
Old 19th July 2017

Liked 3,949 Times in 1,454 Posts

Some of the old industrial Nikon lenses are incredible works of engineering. As they were usually buried inside equipment they have not been touched too often either. They seem to have a god like status especially in Japan, mostly due to the limited numbers that were made. As you said in your post the weight of them is testament to the quality, but makes them hard to hold up!
Old 19th July 2017

I have been puzzling over these images from TIFFs. When I was using Photoshop 7, which did not recognise my Olympus RAW files, I used Olympus viewer to open them and convert them to TIFFS, which are more amenable to processing than JPEGs, and I would then resize and save the processed files as JPEGs.

Having found TIFFS, I assumed that they had been converted from ORFs but had not been processed. For reasons I cannot recall, this seems not to have been the case.

I have traced the original RAW files and processed them by my current methods.

The one thing which I conclude immediately is that the f16 resulting from the lens being set at f11, with a x1.5 TC behind it, still gives insufficient DOF.

Here are the images in pairs, with the version form a TIFF first and the one form a RAW files second. I have cropped the reworked images similarly, to make comparisons easier.

I apologise for the initial error.

The last two images seem to have been opened for different white balances.

Harold