Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 4th August 2016

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hello again - back from Fuji?

Hello all

I've been a member on here for years but I've been shooting Fuji for a while and I've really enjoyed it - first with an XE-2 and than an XT-10.

But!! I'm toying with idea of returning to Olympus - it might seem odd but I really like the sound of the 9-18, there really isn't an equivalent for fuji without spending a fortune and adding serious weight.

So I've been looking at the em10 ii and the em5 ii - I mainly do travel photos and landscape. Concerns are weather the jpegs will be as good as a fuji and whether image quality will be notably worse? The XT-10 really can produce some great images sooc.

I've seen the em-10 ii with twin kit lens for a good price and would then add the 9-18. I would have to get the omd em5 ii used and just add the 9-18 initially.

What do people think?

Thanks
Old 4th August 2016

Liked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Re: Hello again - back from Fuji?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa1972 View Post
Hello all

I've been a member on here for years but I've been shooting Fuji for a while and I've really enjoyed it - first with an XE-2 and than an XT-10.

But!! I'm toying with idea of returning to Olympus - it might seem odd but I really like the sound of the 9-18, there really isn't an equivalent for fuji without spending a fortune and adding serious weight.

So I've been looking at the em10 ii and the em5 ii - I mainly do travel photos and landscape. Concerns are weather the jpegs will be as good as a fuji and whether image quality will be notably worse? The XT-10 really can produce some great images sooc.

I've seen the em-10 ii with twin kit lens for a good price and would then add the 9-18. I would have to get the omd em5 ii used and just add the 9-18 initially.

What do people think?

Thanks
Hello 'Justa1972' and welcome back,

Both are very capable cameras, do you 'need' weather sealing? If so then it will have be the E-M5II, if not and you also do not need the Hi-Res 40mp mode, fully articulated screen plus a few other things I cannot think of at the moment then I would say the E-M10II would be an excellent choice.

I have owned the E-M5II and it is a brilliant little performer, I sold it because personally I shoot a lot more film and it wasn't getting used sufficiently to warrant its cost. However I have lately been thinking of getting another digital option and am giving serious consideration to the E-M10II. I think it too is a great little performer and very, very good value for money. You can get one 'on loan' via participating dealerships so that you can see if it's for you, look up 'Olympus Test and WOW'.

I cannot say how the Olympus jpegs compare to that of the Fuji, but it is widely regarded that Olympus jpegs are among the best if not the best, and the colours .... ohhhh the colours ..... wonderful
Kind regards, Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
justa1972 (4th August 2016)
Old 4th August 2016

Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,422 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

A warm welcome (back). Nothing bad to say about either camera but the E-M5 II is getting the better of the firmware updates.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Old 4th August 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

I can't comment on JPEGs since I always shoot raw, but what I will say is this... the sensor IQ from the XE1 I'm playing with at the moment is no better than what I get from my Olympus bodies - at least at ISOs up to 1600 (and I say "sensor IQ" since the only lens I have with the Fuji is the 35/1.4 and it's a stunner). After ISO 1600 the Fuji does do a little better but careful use of NR in Lightroom gets them pretty close so it's not a big issue IMHO.

The IQ across all the Olympus 16Mp cameras is pretty well much of a muchness so whether you go E-M10ii or E-M5ii will depend entirely on your view of features and handling. Personally I hate the swivel screen so I'd go for the E-M10 (and save myself a good amount of cash).

I know the XE1 is pretty long in the tooth now but I've handled the XE1 and 10 quite a bit and I've come to the conclusion that I much prefer the controls and usability of the Olympus bodies. However, the new 24Mp sensor on the XE2 and XPro2 does seem a big improvement so I'm looking to see what the E-M1ii will offer when it's launched.

As for the 9-18 - it's a very compact lens that performs pretty well - but it's not quite up with the best of the u43 lenses in sharpness terms, especially in the corners. However, for most uses it's certainly more than good enough.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 4th August 2016

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Hello 'Justa1972' and welcome back,

Both are very capable cameras, do you 'need' weather sealing? If so then it will have be the E-M5II, if not and you also do not need the Hi-Res 40mp mode, fully articulated screen plus a few other things I cannot think of at the moment then I would say the E-M10II would be an excellent choice.

I have owned the E-M5II and it is a brilliant little performer, I sold it because personally I shoot a lot more film and it wasn't getting used sufficiently to warrant its cost. However I have lately been thinking of getting another digital option and am giving serious consideration to the E-M10II. I think it too is a great little performer and very, very good value for money. You can get one 'on loan' via participating dealerships so that you can see if it's for you, look up 'Olympus Test and WOW'.

I cannot say how the Olympus jpegs compare to that of the Fuji, but it is widely regarded that Olympus jpegs are among the best if not the best, and the colours .... ohhhh the colours ..... wonderful
Kind regards, Simon
Funny isn't it I've always believed that fuji JPEGS were the best - oh and the colours too - particularly in Velvia setting
Simon Bee (5th August 2016)
Old 4th August 2016

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts

Yes, Paul pretty much sums up my feelings about the difference between Fuji and m4/3.

I had a X100T for a year, but sold it for a Sony A7S because, although it had slightly better ultimate raw image quality, and less noise at high ISO, it wasn't enough to justify the relatively much poorer handling IMHO. The A7S has similarly irritating handling issues as the Fuji, but it does give 3 - 4 more stops dynamic range which really does open up new opportunities for low light photography.

When it comes down to it, the question to ask isn't whether a bigger sensor gives better IQ (because bigger is always ultimately better these days, and if you follow that to its logical conclusion you should just buy a medium format camera and not bother with APSC or FF at all) but rather "how much IQ do I need?".

Once you've decided that, I suggest choosing a system that meets your other needs, like choice of lenses, choice of bodies, compactness and lightness, and speed and ease of handling and adjustment. So, as long as m4/3 meets your image quality requirements (and do you _really_ produce a lot of prints of 12x16" and larger?), it's hard to argue that m4/3 doesn't beat Fuji and Sony on all those other factors.

The only other area where for me a bigger sensor does score is in allowing more cropping of landscape images, where resolution and low noise do become more important: the answer is to capitalise on the wide range of m4/3 lenses, and get the crop right in camera.

Your mileage may differ, of course!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
benpanesar (25th August 2016)
Old 5th August 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post

When it comes down to it, the question to ask isn't whether a bigger sensor gives better IQ (because bigger is always ultimately better these days, and if you follow that to its logical conclusion you should just buy a medium format camera and not bother with APSC or FF at all) but rather "how much IQ do I need?".

Once you've decided that, I suggest choosing a system that meets your other needs, like choice of lenses, choice of bodies, compactness and lightness, and speed and ease of handling and adjustment. So, as long as m4/3 meets your image quality requirements (and do you _really_ produce a lot of prints of 12x16" and larger?), it's hard to argue that m4/3 doesn't beat Fuji and Sony on all those other factors.

The only other area where for me a bigger sensor does score is in allowing more cropping of landscape images, where resolution and low noise do become more important: the answer is to capitalise on the wide range of m4/3 lenses, and get the crop right in camera.
Hard to argue with this, it's one of the best and most logical pieces of advice I have read in a long time. Then again when has 'logic' had anything to do with purchasing photographic equipment
If we purchased on logic alone the manufacturers would go bust.

Seriously though, this reply by Mark is 'spot on'

Simon
Old 5th August 2016

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Yes its excellent advice - I guess there is always the worry that a bigger sensor might somehow save a shot though - sometimes you don't know how much IQ you need !

I am tempted by this offer at Jessops though - http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...9226/Show.html

Is this worth it over buying a body only ? Are the lenses worth having ?

The discount code brings it down to £519 - I know its not the EZ lens but I don't like power zooms anyway..
Old 5th August 2016

Quote:

I am tempted by this offer at Jessops though - http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...9226/Show.html

The discount code brings it down to £519 - I know its not the EZ lens but I don't like power zooms anyway..
IMO ... YES it's worth it, especially at £519.00 , the body alone is usually £449.00 and I believe if you were to but those two lenses outside of a 'kit' they would cost somewhere around £400 for the two

"Are the lenses worth having" ... well that depends on what you need/want. The 40-150 is a very good performer, it sometimes gets frowned upon because it has a plastic lens mount, IQ however is very good. The 14-42 is also a decent performer, a little 'slow' for some peoples last but nether the less a good lens. TBH Olympus 'kit' lenses are very good and better than most if not all other brands 'kit' lenses.

Look at this way ..... if you buy the 'kit' you will be up and running with two lenses that will cover most needs. If you decide the lenses are not for you ... you want something faster or primes for example, I am sure you would be able to sell both on and realise somewhere around £200+ . Effectively meaning the 'body' would end up costing you £319.00 whereas if you buy the body only it will currently cost you £449.00

I have been thinking along the lines of the 17mm F1.8 and the 40-150 F5.6. If I do this I will likely get the 'kit' you mention, sell the 14-42 and buy a S/H 17mm.

Kind regards, Simon
Old 5th August 2016

Quote:
Yes its excellent advice - I guess there is always the worry that a bigger sensor might somehow save a shot though - sometimes you don't know how much IQ you need !

If you wanted the mkII this is a good deal, too: http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/new-equ...-40-150mm.html

I'd say the numerous added facilities of the mkII were genuinely useful and very well worth the small extra premium, even allowing for the discount: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ol..._EM10_Mark_II/

All 3 of the Oly zooms are very good examples of their type and are light and compact: I and several people I know have won UK camera club competitions with images taken with the 40-150 (in my case, at full aperture at 150mm).

Yes, as Paul has pointed out, if you push them you can find some minor weaknesses, but for travel I'd say those three as a set were unrivalled in any other system considering cost, performance, size, weight and focal length range. If you wanted a faster lens allowing subject isolation you could add the 45mm f1.8, which is a very fine performer, is also tiny, and is often available s/h in mint condition for peanuts.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 5th August 2016

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
If you wanted the mkII this is a good deal, too: http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/new-equ...-40-150mm.html

I'd say the numerous added facilities of the mkII were genuinely useful and very well worth the small extra premium, even allowing for the discount: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ol..._EM10_Mark_II/

All 3 of the Oly zooms are very good examples of their type and are light and compact: I and several people I know have won UK camera club competitions with images taken with the 40-150 (in my case, at full aperture at 150mm).

Yes, as Paul has pointed out, if you push them you can find some minor weaknesses, but for travel I'd say those three as a set were unrivalled in any other system considering cost, performance, size, weight and focal length range. If you wanted a faster lens allowing subject isolation you could add the 45mm f1.8, which is a very fine performer, is also tiny, and is often available s/h in mint condition for peanuts.
Not sure if I'm missing something but jessops is £70 cheaper?
Old 5th August 2016

Quote:
Not sure if I'm missing something but jessops is £70 cheaper?
No, I'm the one who read yours as a mkI - you're right!

Apols: you can put the saving towards the 9-18

Too much Oly gear.