Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 27th January 2016

Liked 2,729 Times in 939 Posts
Re: Buying into another system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
That seems an aweful lot more than an E-M1 and a 60mm Macro!
A lot heavier and bigger (mostly the lens) but the AF did work nicely in pretty poor light but not the sort of money SWMBO would let me spend.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 27th January 2016

Liked 883 Times in 310 Posts

For critical landscape images (from my perspective) I use my trio of Sigma DP Merrills. Handily small and compact but with resoultion closer to a 36MP Sony sensor than the 24MP variant. Quite frankly the output is nothing short of astonishing for a 15MP file.
I will admit I was tempted by the A7RII but the cost and the fact that m4/3rds comfortably punches above it's weight has kept me in the Oly camp

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 27th January 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
I have looked at the Sony A7R and A7R II as I would not see the point of such a large camera without all of the extra pisels.

I looked on Saturday at the A7RII and the FE90mm f2.8 macro lens which I was offered for 3250.
I agree Alf. If I do go for an A7, then it would have to be the R. I'll not bite though while the body is 2400 though! That's just too much for a hobby.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 27th January 2016
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
I have looked at the Sony A7R and A7R II as I would not see the point of such a large camera without all of the extra pisels.

I looked on Saturday at the A7RII and the FE90mm f2.8 macro lens which I was offered for 3250.
The A7ii is less than half the price of the A7rii and I saved another 200 buying an open box one from Wex, the camera body is not large, smaller I'd say than the GH3 / 4 and the 28, 35 and 55mm primes are not at all large. As with m43 the A7 series is mirrorless so the lenses designed specifically for that system are typically smaller that lenses designed for DSLR's due to the lens being closer to the sensor, but as focal length increases the advantage diminishes.
Apparently the A7 mirrorless system lenses are closer to the sensor plane than m43 are so you can adapt m43 lenses to work with A7 cameras but not the other way around.

Paul
Old 27th January 2016
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I agree Alf. If I do go for an A7, then it would have to be the R. I'll not bite though while the body is 2400 though! That's just too much for a hobby.
I was contemplating the A7rii but I also decided it was just too expensive, so got the A7ii to see how I like the system, maybe if I like it at a later date if I feel there would be a benefit get the A7rii.

Paul
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

I wouldn't buy a Sony on principle. From what I've seen and experienced their customer support is dreadful. Their response to a difficult problem is sullen silence.

Here's an example:
https://www.community.sony.com/t5/Cy...ain/td-p/44245

Jim
Old 27th January 2016
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I wouldn't buy a Sony on principle. From what I've seen and experienced their customer support is dreadful. Their response to a difficult problem is sullen silence.

Here's an example:

Jim
I think all companies have their bad service stories though.

Paul
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 329 Times in 136 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg

I've been through this exercise and made the jump, but still kept a foot in both camps. - That has lead to confusion and indecision......

About 3 years ago, I became thoroughly unimpressed with Olympus' refusal to bring out an E-7 to replace the E-5. I was running an E-3 and had a decent array of Zuiko lenses, including the really beautiful 12-60mm zoom.

I though a bit about it and decided that, if I was going to "jump ship", then I might as well go full frame. I looked at Nikon and Canon, but preferred the ergonomics of Canon. I bought a Canon EOS 6D with a 24-105mm f/4 L lens. Not long after that, I bought the old type 100-400mm L and the beautiful 24-70 f/2.8 II L zooms. The 24-70 now just about lives on the 6D.

This combo suits my style of photography. - Mostly scenic, with some cityscapes and some occasional family parties...... Until a local engineers group spotted some of my photos and asked me to be the official photographer for conferences in Queensland.

The 6D is really great for subjects which have a high dynamic range. It also didn't take me long to sort out my initial problems with the relatively shallow depth of field.

Then I looked at my array of fine Zuiko lenses "gathering dust" in my old camera museum in my lounge room..... I looked at reviews of the Olympus OM-D E-M1....... I took my old 4/3 70-300mm zoom in to one of our local camera stores to try it out on the E-M1..... And came away about AUD1700 poorer. - Yes, I also bought the MMF-3 adaptor and the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO.

For the past nearly two years, I have been running both systems. - One backing up the other. At engineers' conferences I use the 6D for group shots and presentations of awards, while the E-M1 is usually used for photos of exhibitors' stands and social events.

Privately, I prefer the 6D for landscape photos and the E-M1 for in-city photography. - The E-M1 with the 12-40 is eminently "luggable".

After having used both systems for nearly two years, I have now noticed that I am using the E-M1 far more then the 6D. - It is far easier to cart around. Looking at the two side-by-side, it is immediately clear that the E-M1 is half the size, half the weight and approximately half the price of the 6D.

The advantage of the 6D is that it handles a greater dynamic range and does it well. Photos which require the 6D's greater dynamic range make up less than 5% of my photos. I haven't yet done a comparison on how large prints from each camera compare.

Whatever way I look at it, I am having a very hard time justifying to myself that I should hang onto the Canon EOS 6D and lenses and am seriously looking at selling it and using the funds for the forthcoming purchase of an Olympus OM-D E-M1 II.

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus XZ-2 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
The Following User Says Thank You to griffljg For This Useful Post:
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 2,274 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

Here's an example:

Jim
I have heard the same from several reliable sources now.

But their equipment is usually very good.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 27th January 2016
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffljg View Post
After having used both systems for nearly two years, I have now noticed that I am using the E-M1 far more then the 6D. - It is far easier to cart around. Looking at the two side-by-side, it is immediately clear that the E-M1 is half the size, half the weight and approximately half the price of the 6D. .
Yes, size and weight, that's why I've never ventured into FF before, but now with the A7ii being the same size as the Oly EM-1 (infact fractionally smaller) I decided it was a good time to give it a try, true the zooms are still huge in comparison to m43 zooms but the primes are not too big or heavy so it's my intention to have a prime lens setup for the A7ii, anything longer than 55mm (FF size) I'll switch to the Oly EM-5ii and 40-150 Pro. A dual setup using the strengths of each system

Paul
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 1,711 Times in 638 Posts

I just wish my photography was good enough to stretch the limits of the Olympus camera and lenses I have... so I could worry about such things!

The only problems I've had have been the numpty holding the camera!

I must admit to liking the look of the Sony series, but feel that IF I were to ever get to the point that the m4/3 system couldn't cope I'd go for a pro spec Canikon (BUT I can never see me spending THAT sort of money, Olympus is as far as I want to spend!)

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following User Liked This Post:
Olybirder (27th January 2016)
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts

Maybe this article was posted already.
This guy shows that a FF mirrorless from Sony does not have any weight advantage against an NIKON FF system:

https://photographylife.com/the-mirrorless-hype

Looking at the weights I saw in that article for Sony lenses, I do not think Sony FF has any chance to get close to an m4/3 regarding weights and dimensions.

-
Old 27th January 2016
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by katran View Post
Maybe this article was posted already.
This guy shows that a FF mirrorless from Sony does not have any weight advantage against an NIKON FF system:

https://photographylife.com/the-mirrorless-hype

Looking at the weights I saw in that article for Sony lenses, I do not think Sony FF has any chance to get close to an m4/3 regarding weights and dimensions.

-
He forgot to mention that mirrorless systems with an adapter can use any brand of lens, some with full control that can't be done with a DSLR.

If he found the Sony too small with his big hands he certainly wouldn't be a fan of m43 either, he didn't give m43 a mention in fact.

The A7ii and A7Rii are both the same size as the Oly Em-1, infact slightly smaller and smaller than the GH3 / 4, the lenses will always be bigger than m43, but as I've already said the wide angle to mid range primes are not big at all and it's my intention to carry 3 or 4 primes, better IQ and faster speed.

Paul

Paul
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Paul View Post
The A7ii and A7Rii are both the same size as the Oly Em-1, infact slightly smaller and smaller than the GH3 / 4,
Paul
E-M1 + battery weights 497 gr
Sony A7 II + battery weights 726 gr (this means aprox. 50% heavier than E-M1). No matter what lens you put on it, it will weight 1Kg or more. It is heavy.

And yes the size is the same with E-M1. But we are comparing with the bigest camera from Olympus, you can choose E-M10 by example which is much smaller and half the weight of the Sony.

As smaller you make the Sony, you have less space for the sensor to make the IS performant.
Old 27th January 2016
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by katran View Post
E-M1 + battery weights 497 gr
Sony A7 II + battery weights 726 gr (this means aprox. 50% heavier than E-M1). No matter what lens you put on it, it will weight 1Kg or more. It is heavy.

And yes the size is the same with E-M1. But we are comparing with the bigest camera from Olympus, you can choose E-M10 by example which is much smaller and half the weight of the Sony.

As smaller you make the Sony, you have less space for the sensor to make the IS performant.
The guy in the article was already complaining the Sony is too small, so he would hate the smaller m43 cameras.
In real terms the A7ii is not big or heavy, I've held one, I like the ergonomics and feel and didn't find it heavy, some folk prefer slightly bigger bodies anyway which is why the GH3 and GH4 and EM-1 are so popular, with some folkl the EM5 or EM10 series are just too small.
THe A7 and A7r were even smaller and lighter (without IBIS though) but folk didn't like them that small so Sony made the mark ii versions with different ergonomics.

Paul