Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th February 2016

Liked 1,255 Times in 718 Posts
Re: Buying into another system

I have noticed the A7S EVF is a bit more flickery than the E-M1, but not irritatingly so. The camera's a lot slower to switch on and noticeably slower to find an auto exposure: I understand the mkII versions across the range are better in both areas.

The mkIs are exactly that, and we should really be comparing them with earlier Olympus versions! It is a work in progress. Even the A7S shows a number of good developments on the earlier two models, such as a proper all metal bayonet.

The filter stack has been thinned on the mkIIs, but it seems that you're still well advised to check on the various blogs and forums that they are compatible before purchasing any legacy full frame glass to use on them. I'd thought it was purely down to the angle of exit of light from the rear of the lens, and hence the angle of incidence on the sensor (with the 'thick' layered sensor responding best to directly impinging light from wide exit pupil lenses with a greater distance between rear element and sensor) but I'm now not at all sure that's the whole story.

Anyway, there are plenty of excellent recommended combinations. I'm still trying to resist that Tri-Elmar 16-18-21...

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 17th February 2016

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Having got a Nikon d750 I dont have to worry about other lenses...if it aint Nikon it dont fit!
Old 18th February 2016
Kiwi Paul

I'm very impressed by the resolution and detail the A7Rii + Zeiss 55 lens provide ( and the Sony 28 f2 lens).
Here's a couple of samples, I won't post any more photos from this camera as I know this is a Oly / 43 forum but just for interest here's a couple, go to my flickr to see more or in higher resolution.

Paul

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Wee man (18th February 2016)
Old 18th February 2016

Thanked 1,402 Times in 1,294 Posts
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,108 Posts

Paul did you do comparison shots with your Olys?
Old 18th February 2016

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Paul!

The second shot shows great detail in the foreground, but the background is slightly OOF - was that deliberate or a function of the smaller DOF of the full frame sensor - I'm sure that an Olympus would have had everything in focus at f8!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 18th February 2016

Liked 3,186 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Paul!

The second shot shows great detail in the foreground, but the background is slightly OOF - was that deliberate or a function of the smaller DOF of the full frame sensor - I'm sure that an Olympus would have had everything in focus at f8!

Cheers,

Ralph.
I'm getting out of practice at non-macro subjects but I would have thought f11 might be pushing it a bit.

Harold
Old 18th February 2016

I'm certainly noticing that focus is much more critical with my A7S for the night-time street photography shots I'm currently using it for.

Having usable ASAs of 12800 (and even 25600) helps a lot especially with moving subjects, but the focus peaking isn't as good as that on the OMDs so I'm finding you have to use focus magnification as well, certainly for shots at f4 and 5.6 which would be much less critical in practice with m4/3.

Like anything else one gets better with practice, though.

Too much Oly gear.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ralph Harwood (18th February 2016)
Old 18th February 2016
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Paul did you do comparison shots with your Olys?
No Phil I didn't.

Paul
Old 18th February 2016
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Hi there Paul!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Hello Ralph,

Full frame requires twice the aperture to achieve the same dof as m43, that shot was at f13 so I would have required to shoot at f16 to achieve the same dof as Oly at f8. The nets were very close and the buildings a long way away, it's often hard to gauge what f stop is required to get enough dof, looking through the evf it all looked OK but it's hard to see critical focus through an evf without zooming in.

Paul
Old 18th February 2016

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Paul!

I couldn't get the Exif data for the picture through flikr on my phone, so I did wonder how the photos were shot. On my recent walking trips I have been astonished by how much depth of field you get at f7.1 and using a hyperfocal distance - pretty much everything from 3m to infinity at 12mm.

If you were using the 55mm lens rather than the 28mm then that would probably explain the difference in the Dof. The important question though is are you enjoying using the camera?

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 18th February 2016
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Hi there Paul!If you were using the 55mm lens rather than the 28mm then that would probably explain the difference in the Dof. The important question though is are you enjoying using the camera?

Cheers,

Ralph.
HI Ralph, yes it was the 55 lens (27.5mm m43 equiv).
The camera is lovely to use, it's very similar in size and feel to the EM1 (I've used Mike's EM1).
There are a few annoyances but it doesn't cloud the user experience and there are a few things I like about it too, in aperture priority mode as you change the aperture the change in dof is shown in the live EVF, very nice.

Paul
Old 19th February 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Paul View Post
HI Ralph, yes it was the 55 lens (27.5mm m43 equiv).
The camera is lovely to use, it's very similar in size and feel to the EM1 (I've used Mike's EM1).
There are a few annoyances but it doesn't cloud the user experience and there are a few things I like about it too, in aperture priority mode as you change the aperture the change in dof is shown in the live EVF, very nice.

Paul
Yes, I must say that is my overall experience of the A7S as well so far: I don't find it has much of a less quality feel than the OMDs (as the other Paul reported) and the irritations are either surmountable with more familiarity, or else are relatively minor.

I find it compliments the E-M1 very well: different tools for different jobs.

Too much Oly gear.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Kiwi Paul (19th February 2016)
Old 19th February 2016
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Yes, I must say that is my overall experience of the A7S as well so far: I don't find it has much of a less quality feel than the OMDs (as the other Paul reported) and the irritations are either surmountable with more familiarity, or else are relatively minor.

I find it compliments the E-M1 very well: different tools for different jobs.
It was me that commented on the EM5ii having a better quality feel, I still think that although now I'm used to the A7Rii it's not as much as I first thought.
I also find it compliments my m43 system too.

Paul