Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 12th September 2015

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Mirror lenses: 300mm F6.3 and 500mm F8

There are some "new" compact mirror lenses on the market now, quite possibly made by the same manufacturer but bearing various names like:

Samyang, Rokinon, Tokina, Tamron (example shown needs adapter but there are native 500mm micro four thirds lenses available) (this being by far the most expensive).

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/sam...s-t-mount.html

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/tok...hirds-fit.html

Just wondering if anyone has tried any of these for wildlife.

I had the 300mm F6.3 in Sony E mount that I took away with me as a "standby" long lens.

I struggled to get a couple of sharp images but a lot of that was down to getting a fast enough shutter speed.

I'd imagine the Olympus in body IS would make a lot of difference...

Mal
The Following User Says Thank You to mm500 For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (12th September 2015)
Old 12th September 2015

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts
Re: Mirror lenses: 300mm F6.3 and 500mm F8

I've had a couple of good quality mirror lenses, but never go sharp images from them.

I've seen it on the 'net that every photographer tries a mirror lens at least once, but doesn't stay with it.

Jim
Old 12th September 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

I have an old Canon FD 500f8 mirror lens which I have tried with my Olympus. The results are at best OK even though in it's day it was reckoned to be one of the best mirror lenses going. On the Oly it is of course equivelent to a 1000mm lens.
Advantage:
Small and light for it's focal length.
Disadvantages:
Manual focus only with a very small DOF so both hard and slow to focus so if the subject has any movement almost impossible to get sharp results.
Fixed aperture at f8 which means really needs good light for most uses and no control of DOF. Wildlife rarely stays still so not really a good lens for this.
Really needs a tripod for best results IBIS or not due to long focal length at f8. A sturdy monopod is a help at a pinch but tripod better which negates the small light advantage.
Specular highlights come out in the famous doughnut shape. I never got this with the light behind me but watch out for birds on a lake on a nice sunny day!
Bottom line is I will keep my lens but more as a curio but would not recommend one for serious use.
I have a vague memory of a write up in a magazine of the Tokina and it did not come out particularly well but I could be wrong. In my opinion a lot of money for a lens type that I personally would not recommend. Having said that many people manage superb shots digiscoping the techniques of which are pretty much the same as using a mirror lens so a lot of my opinion is probably coloured by my lack of ability and lack of practice with my lens.
Old 12th September 2015

I used to own a Tamron adaptall lens which gave pretty poor results until I got rid of the thing.

I was wondering if this new lighter generation of mirrors may be better and more usable? Their attraction is they are so small and light too...
Old 12th September 2015

Here is a write up on that Tokina for you:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/t...s-review-20555

Seems to agree with my opinion of mirror lenses and would certainly not persuade me to buy one.
Old 12th September 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

I have a Sigma 600mm f/8 that I have used for some "extreme" reach

That's the 600mm + 2x TC + 1.4x TC and with the Digital 2x

These are all shot through uncleaned double glazed windows on a really wet & murky day...

On its own on a day with good light the images are not as good as you get from the Olympus 300mm f/2.8 + Ex14, but considering this is reaching out twice as far and costs less than 1/10th the price, it can produce acceptable results.

Atmospherics will affect the IQ of long lenses. I've even given up because of heat haze and shimmer.

Like all things, it comes down to value for money. You may want to consider a Digiscope option.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 12th September 2015

Thanks for posting that setup Graham! I have tried digiscoping and I found it extremely hard to even find my subject, let alone get a sharp image.

I'm planning to go on a jungle trek in Thailand at the end of the year and last time I went I had a 300mm equivalent which was no good for capturing images of the Great Hornbills in the trees.

The guide had a digiscope and we all took turns to look through it and actually some people got acceptable images putting their compacts against the eyepiece.

I've considered that the 75-300 I have may be a possibility in conjunction with the camera's digital zoom (I know, doesn't sound great).

It's a 5 hour trek so gear weight is an issue especially as most of my pack will be full of water bottles...

M.
Old 12th September 2015

I think if you struggled with digiscoping the same will apply with a mirror lens even though they are of a much smaller focal length.
Old 12th September 2015

Liked 126 Times in 92 Posts

I got some good results with my old 500mm mirror lens shooting motorsport with my DSLR & a few reasonable shots with a Rioch 600mm on 4/3 but I've needed to use a focal reducer to cope with that handheld.
Here's a recent example via the focal reducer (900mm EFL)
Handheld mirror test by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr