Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 31st July 2015

Liked 433 Times in 209 Posts
Game shooting...

Well this dentist from the USA has certainly opened up a barrel of worms. I do find it hard to fathom why someone would want to kill a wild animal...some say under the umbrella of conservation but that just might be a convenient excuse.
According to todays news he wanted to then find a elephant to kill....as I pointed out to someone the only thing I shoot with is my Olympus camera, and that's hard enough with wildlife. Perhaps these people won't actually be satisfied until we have no wildlife left anywhere...

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 31st July 2015

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts
Re: Game shooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
Well this dentist from the USA has certainly opened up a barrel of worms. I do find it hard to fathom why someone would want to kill a wild animal...some say under the umbrella of conservation but that just might be a convenient excuse.
According to todays news he wanted to then find a elephant to kill....as I pointed out to someone the only thing I shoot with is my Olympus camera, and that's hard enough with wildlife. Perhaps these people won't actually be satisfied until we have no wildlife left anywhere...

Peter
Maybe it's me, but I just don't get the concept of guns or shooting at all.

What sort of person shoots a perfectly healthy and happy animal living in the wild, and what sort of perverse pleasure do they get from it?

I can understand farmers shooting foxes and other pests where they cause damage to crops and livestock, but certainly not endangered species.

Some people just have too much money, too much time and very warped minds.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 31st July 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

If you have the money, how much better can it get than THIS

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Internaut (31st July 2015), Naughty Nigel (31st July 2015), Ross the fiddler (31st July 2015), Shaw (31st July 2015), shenstone (31st July 2015)
Old 31st July 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

I know that it is not just an American problem but America does have a particularly unhealthy culture concerning owning and using guns, or at least the National Rifle Association has undue power and influence. In a recent interview President Obama expressed one of his main regrets during his tenure was the failure to make any real progress on reforming gun laws. However, this blood lusting dentist may have cause for regret, judging by the domestic backlash and international condemnation.

My personal opinion is that only a species as paradoxically intelligent and primitive as Humanity would concentrate its energy into developing ever more efficient and destructive ways to kill fellow Humans and other species.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Last edited by Zuiko; 31st July 2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Punctuation
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
sapper (31st July 2015)
Naughty Nigel (31st July 2015), sapper (31st July 2015)
Old 31st July 2015

Liked 102 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I know that it is not just an American problem but America does have a particularly unhealthy culture concerning owning and using guns, or at least the National Rifle Association has undue power and influence. In a recent interview President Obama expressed one of his main regrets during his tenure was the failure to make any real progress on reforming gun laws. However, this blood lusting dentist may have cause for regret, judging by the domestic backlash and international condemnation.

My personal opinion is that only a species as paradoxically intelligent and primitive as Humanity would concentrate it's energy into developing ever more efficient and destructive ways to kill fellow Humans and other species.
Sorry, there are hundreds if not thousands of gun laws on the books! Not many enforced...ie FELONS walking around with guns! I would lock them up for LIFE if it were me, but that doesn't happen,too many softies. Notorious high crime cities have the toughest gun laws on the books. The safest towns and communities....most households have a gun, and are allowed to protect their property.

Who would kill a wild animal? Well if you were hungry enough.... I know plenty of folks that hunt for FOOD. I also hear of plenty of DISGUSTING life forms that trophy hunt. I was always told you eat what you kill. I do not hunt, I cannot kill a wild animal, so when the famine comes I guess I'll starve.

NRA undue power and influence? Please...they protect our Second Amendment rights,against some pretty zealous leftists.

Bout the only thing that needs changing is the justice system, lock people away forever that commit gun crime period. AND if you have to learn the rules of the road to drive, FAA/CAA regulations to fly, why not all the laws to own a gun! Trust me I knew the law, I asked the Sheriff. I wasn't going to jail cause I chose to be ignorant!

In many places a gun is really handy to have. A friend of mine had a Mojave Green Rattler under her shed. I'm sure she asked it nicely to leave. It had to be shot. See the Greens don't rattle to warn, and they don't run, and they will kill you in 15 minutes. They are a cross between a rattle snake and a Cobra, and carry BOTH venom's on board. AND yes they will chase you, and they are FAST.

Sorry about the rant, but it's a touchy subject with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to pvasc For This Useful Post:
Ulfric M Douglas (31st July 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
PaulB (2nd August 2015)
Old 31st July 2015

There will always be occasions when a loaded revolver saves you from a wild beast, just as there will always be situations where it might be safer not to wear a seatbelt or drive when drunk, but I certainly wouldn't feel any safer if I knew that every one of our neighbours had a loaded handgun in their bedside drawer. Some of them are dangerous enough reversing a Prius out of their driveway!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (31st July 2015)
Old 31st July 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvasc View Post
Sorry, there are hundreds if not thousands of gun laws on the books! Not many enforced...ie FELONS walking around with guns! I would lock them up for LIFE if it were me, but that doesn't happen,too many softies. Notorious high crime cities have the toughest gun laws on the books. The safest towns and communities....most households have a gun, and are allowed to protect their property.

Who would kill a wild animal? Well if you were hungry enough.... I know plenty of folks that hunt for FOOD. I also hear of plenty of DISGUSTING life forms that trophy hunt. I was always told you eat what you kill. I do not hunt, I cannot kill a wild animal, so when the famine comes I guess I'll starve.

NRA undue power and influence? Please...they protect our Second Amendment rights,against some pretty zealous leftists.

Bout the only thing that needs changing is the justice system, lock people away forever that commit gun crime period. AND if you have to learn the rules of the road to drive, FAA/CAA regulations to fly, why not all the laws to own a gun! Trust me I knew the law, I asked the Sheriff. I wasn't going to jail cause I chose to be ignorant!

In many places a gun is really handy to have. A friend of mine had a Mojave Green Rattler under her shed. I'm sure she asked it nicely to leave. It had to be shot. See the Greens don't rattle to warn, and they don't run, and they will kill you in 15 minutes. They are a cross between a rattle snake and a Cobra, and carry BOTH venom's on board. AND yes they will chase you, and they are FAST.

Sorry about the rant, but it's a touchy subject with me.
Thanks for presenting a different point of view on gun ownership; I don't think you and I are likely to reach a consensus on this but it's good to have alternative opinions. I do agree about tougher sentences for gun crimes (both in the UK and USA) and I take your point about hunting for food, although that clearly isn't the issue in this case.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 31st July 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

I lived in the USA, many years ago, and often watched neighbors go out all kitted up for hunting. Often they would return with a deer tied to the hood of the pickup (never got to the bottom of why they didn't put them in the back of the truck...)

They all had the full camo gear, but by law they also had to wear HiViz hats & vests. Which I was told, was to stop them shooting each other. Not that it stopped them and a few were killed or injured each season.

Down the road to where I lived, one farmer put COW on his cattle in day glow paint.

Killing to eat is completely natural and understandable, but like fox hunting, going after something just for "sport" or a trophy is unacceptable. I find it particularly abhorrent when it's done for the profit made from selling parts of endangered species for so called "medicines"

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Naughty Nigel (31st July 2015), Ross the fiddler (31st July 2015)
Old 31st July 2015

My father fought in WWII, and often made comments about "trigger-happy Americans".

He also said that the British troops worried more about being shot accidently by Americans than by the Germans, because at least they had a good idea what the Germans would be shooting at!

Map reading and navigation, I gather, has never been a strongpoint of most Americans.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 31st July 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
(never got to the bottom of why they didn't put them in the back of the truck...)
Bragging rights of course, the carcass has to be highly visible so no one can miss it.
Old 31st July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
Bragging rights of course, the carcass has to be highly visible so no one can miss it.
Correction. The carcass has to be highly visible so even an American can't miss it!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1st August 2015

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

I guess I'm lucky to be alive having shot stills and scouted filming locations for a documentary on rattlesnakes with nothing more than a tripod for protection. I've just got bach from a blue/golden hour shoot, again with only a tripod for protection from the Black Bears.

I'd like to see some scientific documentation that a Mojave Rattlesnake is aggressive, the idea of being chased by one is hilarious.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 1st August 2015

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts

One relevant statistic that the NRA are curiously silent about is that American children under the age of 15 are 9 times more likely to die from gunshot wound than children in Europe. That figure I believe is corrected for wealth, urban/rural residence etc so it's not just the urban non-WASPS who are at risk.

The mechanism of this is that children come across firearms in their parents house/handbag etc that have been left around, often temporarily.

We in Europe are mostly totally uncomprehending that the answer to gun crime for many in the US is to deploy more weapons to arm people who look after children. Of course we're not in the position that the US finds itself in now, and so I would say we need to respect our (largely) unarmed police more than is fashionable by the current administration.

Some more inconvenient facts for anyone interested: http://www.slate.com/articles/health...spite_nra.html

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 1st August 2015

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

One of my cousins shot his brother in the stomach after reaching down one of the shotguns and some ammo in the farm kitchen.
This happened about 8 miles out of Lincoln England (not Nebraska)
Old 1st August 2015

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

What seems to have been missed in this discussion is that: "Mr Palmer is said to have shot Cecil with a crossbow, injuring the animal. The group didn't find the wounded lion until 40 hours later, when he was shot dead with a gun."

It has also been reported that: "Mr Palmer's use of a bow and arrow against Cecil was in contravention of Zimbabwean hunting regulations, Reuters reports", which rather counters his claims the 'hunt' was legal.

This makes the whole episode rather more distasteful to my mind.

It is good to see some animals cab 'shoot back' though! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33748027

Andy