Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 26th July 2015

Liked 251 Times in 128 Posts
Politicians

I do not think I'm being scurrilous, this topic headlined today on most BBC bulletins, it's about a member of the Westminster Conduct Committee ALLEDGEDLY getting up to all kinds of naughties. Little wonder that MPs and members of the Lords are held in so low regard.

On a much lesser level, my local MP regularly visits our High Street with a couple of mukkers with a trestle and a load of pamphlets - plus a row of what looked like gob stoppers on sticks. When I posed the question "why are you handing out teeth rotting sweets", I got the obvious answer "I haven't given any away this morning". Pathetic.

David
Old 26th July 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: Politicians

I despair of them all. In my view we have got a government that is a disaster for most of the British people simply because there was no credible alternative. By the time of the next general election I think that it will be apparent that never in the field of political economic policy has so much been taken from so many by so few.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (27th July 2015), paullus (4th August 2015)
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts

Didn't someone once say something like, "The people get the government they deserve"?
Jim Ford (27th July 2015)
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 251 Times in 128 Posts

If it's true that a certain person was snorting cocaine with ladies of the night, we deserve much better.
Old 26th July 2015

I do get that Crazy Dave, but when 40% of the electorate can't be bothered to vote, it is no wonder that things do not change. I am wondering if Jeremy Corbyn may be the answer to Labours problems.
Old 26th July 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Didn't someone once say something like, "The people get the government they deserve"?
That is probably true. Whatever I might say or think about the present Government it cannot be denied that they were elected with a clear, albeit small, majority.

Going on the latest news, I think that more than a few people who voted Tory will be in for a shock when they learn about Osborne's latest plans to plunder pension pots with an up-front tax instead of tax when you actually withdraw it. Why should the Government want to do this? Probably to raise additional funds now to make artificial reductions in the Deficit at the expense of future tax revenue, which when the time comes may not be their problem.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Grumpy Hec (29th July 2015), Jim Ford (27th July 2015)
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Well I read in a national newspapers a report, interview with some first time Conservative voters. One said, "when I voted, I thought that the cuts were only for the foriegners, scroungers and Disabled, I didn't think it would effect us who are workers".
A couple of others said virtually the same thing.

Either this government is really good at hiding the truth, or these people are really thick.
Old 26th July 2015

People are thick Dave. But the comment including 'disabled' with scroungers shows just how much those voters cared about society.
Grumpy Hec (29th July 2015), Jim Ford (27th July 2015)
Old 26th July 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
People are thick Dave. But the comment including 'disabled' with scroungers shows just how much those voters cared about society.
I thought that, too. IMO anybody who has an "I'm alright, Jack" attitude towards disabled people deserves no sympathy when they, too, suffer bad luck or fall upon hard times. Sometimes in life you reap what you sow and if you vote Conservative you will get a Conservative Government. No blame can be attached to the Conservative Party, they are what they are and make no pretence otherwise. Those who bleat, "but I didn't think they meant me" have only themselves to blame.

The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 27th July 2015
Administrator

Liked 506 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
If it's true that a certain person was snorting cocaine with ladies of the night, we deserve much better.
I watched the video... I don't think there is much doubt that it's true.

I think there is no defence here. he needs to just pack up and go home (if of course his wife will let him)

They say power corrupts and it keeps being proven

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 27th July 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
Yeah, we all want some of that, too!

Old 27th July 2015

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Gosh, I've never clicked so many Likes in a thread!

Jim
Old 27th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
By the time of the next general election I think that it will be apparent that never in the field of political economic policy has so much been taken from so many by so few.
More like:

Never in the field of political economic policy has so much been taken from so many for so few.

Jim
Zuiko (27th July 2015)
Old 27th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Well I read in a national newspapers a report, interview with some first time Conservative voters. One said, "when I voted, I thought that the cuts were only for the foriegners, scroungers and Disabled, I didn't think it would effect us who are workers".
A couple of others said virtually the same thing.

Either this government is really good at hiding the truth, or these people are really thick.
These voters also have very short memories. All the government has to do just before the next election, is to offer a sop to them and trot out their lies about Labour being responsible for the 2008 crash, and the Tories will be back in!

Jim
Grumpy Hec (29th July 2015), Zuiko (27th July 2015)
Old 27th July 2015
Administrator

Liked 506 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
All the government has to do just before the next election, is to offer a sop to them and trot out their lies about Labour being responsible for the 2008 crash, and the Tories will be back in!

Jim
HI Jim do you mind if I adjust your text a bit and tar them all with the same brush...

All the politicians have to do just before the next election, is to offer a sop to people and trot out their lies about the other lot being responsible for all the ills of society, and about 650 of them will be back in, funded by us lot

The trouble is that this chap (like a lot of them) has been a career politician (he was a political theorist before taking office) and therefore his whole life and therefore has not had to produce anything other than rhetoric which he's become very practised at

When your whole life is one of manging to get the maximum out of your expenses and getting people to look the other way this is what it leads to

What we need to do is reduce the number of people we fund for a similar lifestyle (whether commons, Lords or devolved)

(Rant over)

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Grumpy Hec (29th July 2015)