Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 26th July 2015

Liked 156 Times in 78 Posts
Re: Traffic Lights!

Some enlightened souls in Portishead have done away with traffic lights:

and more on traffic lights here:

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 563 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
There is one in Swindon, I think it's a 5-way.

One problem with traffic lights that respond to presence of traffic (for example so that they will general sit on green for a main road but switch when something comes up the minor road) is that they sometimes don't respond to smaller vehicles. Fat blokes on bicycles for example.

John
Is this the one in Swindon you were thinking of Jon?

https://goo.gl/maps/D13QX

I've found the best way to get through this is to stop at the first Give Way sign, close my eyes, count to five and just go in the general direction I'm thinking of.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (26th July 2015)
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post

I've found the best way to get through this is to stop at the first Give Way sign, close my eyes, count to five and just go in the general direction I'm thinking of.
Yup, that's the beauty. Fortunately I have only had to navigate it as a passenger on a bus.

John
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 2,278 Times in 1,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Well, that's one mitigating factor; things could be a lot worse for you.
Yeah; they could get re-elected.

In my experience parking and traffic management tends to be diabolical in areas ruled by lefty-labour councils.

Darlington Council, for example, has sold off a large proportion of its car parks to developers, on the grounds that the shortage of parking spaces will encourage people to use public transport, (and presumably keep the council on side with the transport unions).

That is all well and good, but we live in a rural area, where many smaller towns and villages are not adequately served by public transport, so those who work in Darlington are forced to park on the streets or pay extortionate parking charges, whilst shops are closing because shoppers refuse to run the gauntlet of the Traffic Wardens.

Then there is Newcastle City Council, which has installed an extensive network of 'no-car' lanes, which do exactly what they say on the tin. So car drivers have to sit in traffic whilst they are undertaken by Kamikaze white van drivers who are presumably far more important to the economy of the city.

And just to prove this isn't just a northern phenomenon I have horrendous memories of working in Southampton city centre which was another traffic nightmare.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 3,196 Times in 1,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Well, that's one mitigating factor; things could be a lot worse for you.
It will be if their latest proposal goes ahead. They want a Red Route for the longest bus route in town, between the two furthest ends of town. They state upfront that they expect to cover much of their cash shortfall from the consequent parking fines.

This route goes pass the entrance of almost every small to medium retailer in the town.

Harold
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 3,196 Times in 1,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post

The Magicc Roundabout. That one is for novices.

The one at Hemel Hempstead has six. I have driven through that one several times and, like the sea of a UK beach, is not so bad once you are in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_...mel_Hempstead)

Harold
Jim Ford (28th July 2015), skids (28th July 2015)
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

I often go round the one at Hemel. The beauty of it is that so many people are hesitant on it that you can just grab an opportunity and sail through!

Jim
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Well just to buck the conspiracy-theory trend on this thread there are two roundabouts on the A19 N of Newcastle which have always been "rush hour horror stories". They had traffic lights added a while ago and this actually improved matters. They have been further rejigged recently by adding approach lanes and they seem to work pretty well now. Still queues at rush hour, but there's so much traffic it is impossible to avoid that.

Re a comment further up the thread which no-one picked up on, that traffic lights are timed to waste as much fuel as possible so that the government gets as much money as possible. Hmm... A bit far fetched, I'd like to see some evidence.

Re another comment that developers insisted on lights replacing a roundabout, exactly the same thing happened here in Morpeth and it was a disaster, there was a giant outcry and the roundabout was reinstated. So horses for courses I'd say.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 28th July 2015

On a slightly different note, but still on the subject of traffic control, i seem to recall that years ago a project was commissioned to get a computer system to design the optimum one way system for London. It sort of worked, the system just sent all the traffic out of London.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery
Old 28th July 2015

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
Re another comment that developers insisted on lights replacing a roundabout, exactly the same thing happened here in Morpeth and it was a disaster, there was a giant outcry and the roundabout was reinstated. So horses for courses I'd say.
In spite of an outcry and petitions, vigorously supported by our Mayor, MP and local Lib.Dem party, the traffic lights (and consequent chaos) are still back in operation at our local 'Dome' roundabout. The Herts. Highways Authority also admitted that traffic flowed far more smoothly with them out of operation - but still insisted in reinstating them!

The time when the lights were out of operation will be viewed as a 'golden age' by local motorists in the future!

Jim
jdal (28th July 2015)
Old 28th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
In spite of an outcry and petitions, vigorously supported by our Mayor, MP and local Lib.Dem party, the traffic lights (and consequent chaos) are still back in operation at our local 'Dome' roundabout. ...
Certainly sounds like the same thing as here but with a sad ending. I think someone threatened to take an angle grinder to ours.

Flickr gallery
Old 29th July 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:

Re a comment further up the thread which no-one picked up on, that traffic lights are timed to waste as much fuel as possible so that the government gets as much money as possible. Hmm... A bit far fetched, I'd like to see some evidence.
Hi there John,

I think that was me. My evidence was from a friend of a collegue who at the time worked at Chester city council in the town planning department - he pointed me to this on the BBC website :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7998182.stm

Have a look at the fourth paragraph. Admittedly this was a good five years ago, but strangely enough non of Chester's traffic light timings have changed since.

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS It's not a paranoid conspiracy - They REALLY are out to get us!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
jdal (29th July 2015)
jdal (29th July 2015)
Old 29th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there John,

I think that was me. My evidence was from a friend of a collegue who at the time worked at Chester city council in the town planning department - he pointed me to this on the BBC website :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7998182.stm

Have a look at the fourth paragraph. Admittedly this was a good five years ago, but strangely enough non of Chester's traffic light timings have changed since.

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS It's not a paranoid conspiracy - They REALLY are out to get us!
In a similar vein, is it a coincidence that those traffic lights fitted with red-light cameras also tend to have the shortest amber light cycles?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 29th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Cheers Ralph, good link.

When you follow that up there is the distinct aroma of a dead rat. The article, dated 2009, says "The latest government guidance to local authorities on transport issues is contained in a document called the New Approach to Appraisal" which came out in 1997, he probably meant the "refresh" to that document which came out in 2009, presumably because some numpties in councils were being stupid with it. Like justifying always-red lights by saying it's so you get higher taxes.

The exact same thing happened with the famed "Working At Heights" directive, which was designed to stop people walking off scaffolding on building sites etc. All very laudable and necessary. But the moronic British Civil Service decided it would need to apply to all workplace situations, including Ben Nevis if you happened to be guiding on it.

They aren't out to get you, they are just a bunch of morons. IMHO of course.

Flickr gallery
Old 29th July 2015

Quote:
They aren't out to get you, they are just a bunch of morons. IMHO of course.
I would second that. IMHO of course!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing