Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 10th November 2007
Ijay37

Question E-510 or E-1

As someone with limited finances as anyone any advice whether or not I should sell my E-1 body and buy an E-510 in other words wich is the best camera for a hobbyist. I can't see me being able to afford an E-3.
John OAP
Old 10th November 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 766 Posts
Re: E-510 or E-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijay37 View Post
As someone with limited finances as anyone any advice whether or not I should sell my E-1 body and buy an E-510 in other words wich is the best camera for a hobbyist. I can't see me being able to afford an E-3.
John OAP
Hi John,

It really depends on what you need from your camera. The E-1 is still capable of very fine images as long as you don't need high ISO and particularly big enlargements or severe cropping.

The main benefits for moving to an E-510 are: slow shutter speed stability with Image Stabilisation, smaller and lighter body(but less robust and not splashproof), live view, high ISO performance.

Which lens/es do you have at the moment?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 11th November 2007
Ijay37

Hi Ian
Thanks for your input, I have the 14-54 & 50-150 lenses I am thinking of buying the new 70-300 to replace the 50-150.
My daughter has an A3 printer so that is the largest print I would be using.
John
Old 11th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi John,

if you don't intend printing larger than A3 then the E-1 should be fine. Obviously there's less room for cropping but that said I've had 20"x16" prints done by Photobox and was happy with the results.

Richard
Old 12th November 2007
Hiding_Pup

Waterproofing didn't figure on my dSLR wish-list when I bought my E-1 but, standing on a beach in the rain the other day, and not even thinking about putting my camera away when other photographers were reaching for their waterproof gear, made me realise how much I depended on it, even if I wasn't actively using it most of the time.

That, and the 100% viewfinder which has improved my photography no end, would make me opt for an E-1 over an E-510.

Maybe try one of those up-res programs for Photoshop before giving up on the E-1?
Old 12th November 2007

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd keep the E-1, unless you are regulary missing photos that you could get with the 510.
Old 12th November 2007

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

I have never used the E1 but if you are used to the weight of the E1 I wouldn't bother upgrading yet. The 510 is a fine camera and the i. s.system works well, but betterthe devil you know, Ifyou weight the E3 will no doubt become cheaper in six months or so.