Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 20th March 2008
PeterD

Return of the Wheatear

This bird is described as a summer visitor to Britain but I started to notice them this week on Langstone harbour beach (Southmoor). I only had fleeting glimpses until yesterday when I managed to get a few shots. One of these is posted below.

PeterD
Old 23rd March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Return of the Wheatear

That is nice

Makes me hope even more for some dry and brighter days so I can get out there with my camera again. I've seen quite a few of these at Keyhaven
Old 24th March 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
That is nice

Makes me hope even more for some dry and brighter days so I can get out there with my camera again. I've seen quite a few of these at Keyhaven
Spoke to a birder earlier last week and he told me that the first wave of these birds come through at about this time. They over-winter in Africa. When you consider the size of these birds, thats one hell of an achievement. One return trip per year.

PeterD
Old 24th March 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Wheatears are gorgeous birds Peter and superb for spotting and capturing this one. Usually found in upland areas except central and S/SE England - I've yet to see one...! Grrrrr.

Old 24th March 2008

Liked 882 Times in 403 Posts

Peter

I don't have the knowledge of birds that I'd like but I do get the feel for the very special nature of this little chap. Very dainty and restless, pretty little thing. The gentle warm colours help to show it off.

I know you are concerned about the lens being a little soft. I'm not sure it is too much of an issue here but I'd love to see one closer and with more sharp detail. Is that likely? With some wildlife you can predict where they will be if you pop back - are these birds passing through or stopping for a while now?

If you do get some more I'd love to see them here. It is good that you are broadening my horizons from blue-tits and little brown jobs to these more exotic ones. BTW I do have a number of books but they just encourage me to think I have seen virtually everything on my morning walk!

Keep up the education, it is appreciated here.

best wishes

Peter
Old 24th March 2008

Peter,

I have not seen them recently despite going out to look. I think that the Southmoor location, Just north of Hayling Island but in Langstone Harbour, is a natural stopping off point for migratory birds. At this time of the year I guess they have now gone further inland. I shall have to look out for the second and subsequent waves.

I am not posting any more images on this site until I know if I have to start from scratch or if my original images, which are still in the gallery, can be reassigned back to me. Its a pity because I could have posted the landing sequence of the Cormorant on the site.

As for the image here, it took a lot of work in Lightroom to improve the original. Either the 70-300 I have is faulty or, the lens itself is just not up to the job for field work where I would expect a fast and accurate focus, without the benefit of bright sunshine and amongst vegetation. Today I am going out with both cameras. The E500 with the 70-300 lens and the E3 with the EC14 + 40-150 lens. This should be interesting as the maximum aperture will be about the same and the max focal length of each setup shall be 300mm and 210mm resp. The E500 shall be handicapped without IS but, its only an experiment and I can try for higher shutter speeds. Oh but, if only the weather was brighter.....

PeterD
Old 24th March 2008

I hope you do see them again further inland on a nice bright day.

Good luck with the experiments. I would never have blamed kit before our previous experiences. Now I'd like to see your lens side by side against John (MMs) as he appears to have a good one. I have seen such divided experiences and comments about the quality of that lens that I would doubt that it is consistent. Do you live near the shop that sold it? The guys at Digital depot convinced me to trust my own judgement when something was right or wrong. They will get my business in future for helping me sort my troubles. If in doubt take it back.

As an E500 owner too it will be interesting to try it side by side with an E3. I loved the E500 - easy to use and lovely colour. My son has it now! He likes it too (plus he has all of my kits lenses). On several gallery shots here the E500 shows its pedigree. Like Autumn leaves - the one my wife shot which keeps popping up in the popular pictures as me. I think it did a great job. But no IS was an issue.

I do hope you don't have to upload the gallery again. Broadband wasn't built for quick uploading and it will be a pain. Perhaps Ian could give you a better reputation too! I'm sure you'll be up to 500 posts again in a week or two!

Peter
Old 24th March 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
I hope you do see them again further inland on a nice bright day.

Good luck with the experiments. I would never have blamed kit before our previous experiences. Now I'd like to see your lens side by side against John (MMs) as he appears to have a good one. I have seen such divided experiences and comments about the quality of that lens that I would doubt that it is consistent. Do you live near the shop that sold it? The guys at Digital depot convinced me to trust my own judgement when something was right or wrong. They will get my business in future for helping me sort my troubles. If in doubt take it back.

As an E500 owner too it will be interesting to try it side by side with an E3. I loved the E500 - easy to use and lovely colour. My son has it now! He likes it too (plus he has all of my kits lenses). On several gallery shots here the E500 shows its pedigree. Like Autumn leaves - the one my wife shot which keeps popping up in the popular pictures as me. I think it did a great job. But no IS was an issue.

I do hope you don't have to upload the gallery again. Broadband wasn't built for quick uploading and it will be a pain. Perhaps Ian could give you a better reputation too! I'm sure you'll be up to 500 posts again in a week or two!

Peter
Peter

Just got back, will be assessing the results. Just as a benchmark with this, I have now reversed the the lens setup for both cameras and will repat the exercise later.

500 posts in a week Are there enough hours. Come on every one, lets get more posts in the forum so that I can reply and meet the target Peter has set me.

PeterD
Old 24th March 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
500 posts in a week Are there enough hours.
PeterD
I assumed Ian could reset the counter But maybe a challenge will help.
Old 24th March 2008

Peter,

Just examined the results of the shoot an I can say with confidence that the problem goes with the lens. AF times of the 40-150 + EC14 are far quicker than the 70-300. Virtually all the 70-300 shots would go in my reject bin. Too soft on the 'good' ones and most I would not attempt to try to adjust in PP. Just the effect I was getting on the E3.

The 40-150 + EC14 produced really good results that I could magnify to pixellation and remained clear. Well, this is a case where I contact Oly. By the way, I bought the lens through Ian Kerr so I cannot exchange it easily.

The result is that the 40-150 + EC14 will stay on the E3 and the 70-300 will stay in the bag awaiting disposal. I am glad I got to the bottom of it as it is irritating (as you well know) when you have poor equipment that you have spent good money on. At least I now know the rest of the gear is OK. Thank goodness I hung on to the E500, my trusty old camera. By the way, I did comparisons at about the same focal length (220mm).

PeterD
Old 24th March 2008

Peter

I think that so-called 'cost engineering' and 'global sourcing' has a lot to answer for... Would you have gladly paid 25% more for better quality control? When I first bought into Olympus it was at the height of the marvel of Japanese quality leadership. That OM2 has never had any issues, it was built for a lifetime. Within limits that should still be possible.

At least you know now that you are not to blame - but what price your time and frustration in finding out? and of course now it is down to you to get it sorted. This gets me so mad - using the customer as the quality checker.

I trust whatever you replace it with will work and be with you before the wheatear tribe moves on. In the meantime you'll just have to improve your fieldcraft and get closer

Peter

PS only 469 posts to go....