Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 13th July 2010
BigBCC

Some of my work

Well I've not been on much (I was literally on for like only one day before I turned 17), but I'm back now, and hopefully here to stay

Anyways, I'm posting various images, I know not all are the best, but I'm looking for a little critique, but nothing too negative >.< There are quite a bit edited in photoshop, but I will try and add more that aren't

All the pictures before the ones I'm about to post are a couple months old. The ones I'm about to post are from this paste week.

This one and the next one have had their curves edited to give a cross-processed look

This next one has no photoshopping at all

My bud John at the cemetery down the street. this one was edited in photoshop to make it black and white and contrast was also increased

I guess that's enough for now.

Last edited by BigBCC; 13th July 2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Fixing image sizes
Old 13th July 2010
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Some of my work

Welcome to the group!

Some interesting shots there - but some of them are HUGE! I thought Firefox had crashed...

The processing effect works well on some subjects but not sure about portraits!

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 13th July 2010
BigBCC

LOL sorry about the huge pictures >.< I forgot that I had them set up that way on Deviant Art, I'm actually gonna see if I can hcange the size....

Thank you for your unpur about the processing, I kinda like the way it looks on portraits, but everyone has their own opinions... It reminds me of the 90s which reminds me of when I was a young child... But oh well. Thank you Steve.
Old 13th July 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Blimey, these must be some of the biggest I've seen on the forum. They look pretty good when reduced to 25%!

I've never been a fan of cross processing but it is a legitimate technique if that's what you want to achieve and these look quite authentic. The great thing is that your skills are developing nicely, both as a photographer and a photoshopper.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th July 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

If you'd taken a few more shots of the barn and managed to get those blobs of flare into a less distracting position this one would've been nicer.

Most of the other shots are destroyed with colour messing and wierd vignette/shading effects ... in my opinion.
Old 13th July 2010
BigBCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
If you'd taken a few more shots of the barn and managed to get those blobs of flare into a less distracting position this one would've been nicer.

Most of the other shots are destroyed with colour messing and wierd vignette/shading effects ... in my opinion.
I do have more of this one but mainly at different exposures, I always bracket my exposures one stop that way I can choose which exposure I like best and so I can combine in photomatix if I want

Also I always keep back ups of the original images. I'm actually starting to run out of room on my laptop, so I need to back them up on cds/dvds now >.<

Thank you for your reply though
Old 13th July 2010
BigBCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Blimey, these must be some of the biggest I've seen on the forum. They look pretty good when reduced to 25%!

I've never been a fan of cross processing but it is a legitimate technique if that's what you want to achieve and these look quite authentic. The great thing is that your skills are developing nicely, both as a photographer and a photoshopper.
Thank you! I'm more of a fan of film, but I like to do it all myself, and we don't have any place for a darkroom at the moment

And I used to be good at graphic design in photoshop, but now that I'm using it for editing photos I can't remember how to do the old stuff anymore But oh well.
Old 13th July 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Hi BigBCC

I quite like your post processing on the portraits, your right it took me back a few years, every photographer has his/her own style (I have yet to find mine) and you seam to have found yours

Keep posting, look forward to seeing more

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 13th July 2010
BigBCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Hi BigBCC

I quite like your post processing on the portraits, your right it took me back a few years, every photographer has his/her own style (I have yet to find mine) and you seam to have found yours

Keep posting, look forward to seeing more
I'm hoping that I've found mine, but I'm still not entirely sure if I have or not, I just think it was the fact that my model (who is my 18 year old girlfriend) actually worked with me and it caused the pictures of her to turn out great. My friend John is great to when he's not being an ****.

I'm actually taking pictures at my aunt's wedding this coming weekend and I'm supposed to get paid for it, so this'll be my first time actually getting paid for taking pictures, I'm hoping that they'll turn out great. I've already printed out a checklist for everything and I hope it'll help out a lot, I'm just a bit nervous though....
Old 13th July 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum. There is some good variety in your images. Are you studying photography formally at college or is it just a hobby?

Good luck with the wedding. That's a daunting assignment to take on. Being paid for our hobbies would be great.
Old 13th July 2010
BigBCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Welcome to the forum. There is some good variety in your images. Are you studying photography formally at college or is it just a hobby?

Good luck with the wedding. That's a daunting assignment to take on. Being paid for our hobbies would be great.
I plan to take it in college, but I've had 2 years of it at my high school. I know how to process film and everything, If you all would like I can take some of the prints that I scanned and put on my mysapce, and I can put them on here from when I first started...

Also I'm about to be going into my last year of high school here in the USA, so yeah.... I would like to be taking another year of it at my school, except I have other stuff I have to worry about in order to graduate on time.... But I'm still gonna try and improve myself a lot before I get to college.