Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-420

Old 26th June 2010
bazza2764

Wireless flash triggers

Hi All,
I'm currently looking at buying a set of wireless flash triggers, this is the one i am looking at, http://www.buynowmobi.com/PT-04-Wire...Channels-Black
and wondered if anyone had any advice that might be useful??
Cheers
Old 26th June 2010

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts
Re: Wireless flash triggers

I had a PT-04 wireless trigger for Christmas, mine was branded iShoot. I bought a 4 channel transmitter + single receiver.

It works great, I have no complaints, and it has opened up a whole world of possibilites. I used to use an old Nikon coiled lead for my off camera flash, but that has length restrictions and the wire does try to get in the shot if it can...

Comments:
1 If you want to do this, I recommend you buy a transmitter and two receivers if you plan to get clever. I eventually had to buy a second receiver to use with my second off camera flash.

2 If you start testing its range, there is usually a trigger button on the transmitter. Its tempting to click it like a TV remote - however, beware it doesn't seem to have much range until its attached to the camera. It seems to need the earth effect of the camera to make the transmit range work properly.

3 I use my flashes in storbist mode, ie in manual or old fashioned auto. You won't get Olympus TTL flash to work with these wireless triggers.

4 I am a confirmed tinkerer, so I took my transmitter apart and fitted an external aerial. It may not transmit any further but it sure looks cool

Hope this helps..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 26th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a set of pt-04 trigger + 2 receivers and like Snaarman find they work absolutely fine. I've never actually tested their maximum range but in real use It's likely far more than I will ever need.

That said I have read that RF602 triggers work over a much much longer range if that's a concern for you.
Old 26th June 2010
bazza2764

I think you guys have confirmed this for me like, i will order them, range probably isnt an issue as most of the work i want to do with them is indoor and no bigger that a typical school hall
Old 26th June 2010
MarkVarley

We have a pile of these here, in a studio enviroment they fire 75-90% of the time, most of our lighting setups have 2 or more lights and each is optical slave as well as radio trigger so thats zero misfires.
On location at longer ranges it's a real hit-and-miss affair, not recommended (we rarely use flash on location anyway so no problem for us).
Old 28th June 2010
bazza2764

Just ordered mine from amazon, should be here in a few days, could have done with some yesterday, they would have been great for the pics i was taking. Thanks for helping me make a decision, not a major purchase but still thanks
Old 28th June 2010

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

Here's one I triggered earlier at dusk. In this case its 18m away at the bottom of the garden out of line of sight under the apple tree...

Just think of all the clever tricks you'll be able to do

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 28th June 2010

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

I'd be very interested in knowing how you get on with them and how well they are made.

I want a set myself, 1 Tx and 3 Rx. I am considering these: Seculine

They may be more expensive but I am wary of buying shoddy or unreliable stuff.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 29th June 2010
bazza2764

That looks like fun snaarman, once i get used to using them and the setup i will post some pictures, i have an idea but might have to make a snoot for the flash.

Wreckdiver, talking to a mate last nigh he has a set with 4 receivers and uses two flashes to great effect taking pictures of cars at night, and he has told me that they are great, but i will let you know once i have used then for a bit
Old 30th June 2010
bazza2764

Well my triggers have arrived, and im sure they weren't the Ishoot ones on the site, but thats whats arrived and im well chuffed, heard loads of good things about the Ishoot ones........... see how i get on
Old 30th June 2010
Administrator

Liked 506 Times in 280 Posts

I realise that you've already bought, but I thought I'd add to the discussion

I have a set of these http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...4&bestseller=Y from Gadgetinfinity. So far they have been fine. One thing that made me buy this model was reviews I found of use with Olympus Kit and also that there was a real supplier rather than some places like eBay where goodness only knows what you are getting

All I can say is they beat my old infrared flash's from film days hands down in terms of useability and cost.

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 30th June 2010
bazza2764

they look sturdy enough, i got mine from amazon and they came from this company http://www.ukhighland.com/ can't fault them, ordered them on monday this week, so not bad that i got them today
Old 1st July 2010
bazza2764

Ok, this may sound weird to some, but in messing around with the triggers, i now find that my flashgun a (Metz 36-C2) when mounted on the receiver flashes a lot more, if it is camera mounted then it seems to lag on the recharge time, but putting the triggers on it will repeatedly flash about 6-7 times before needing to recharge.

I have changed the batteries i use in the flashgun to rechargeable 2500MaH batteries, could this be the difference from 2000Mah? ones?
anyhow whatever the cause i am over the moon, gotta try them in practice on Mon/Tues when i have a dance show to shoot... hope im still smiling then