Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 9th April 2010

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Fish Eye lens image samples

I wasn't sure where to put this so if you think its in the wrong place please feel free to move it!

Although it's in this section I am very happy to receive critique on the pics, especially as this is the first time I have used a fish eye.

I took advantage of the Easter weekend lens hire reduction and hired a fish eye lens.
I must admit, before hiring, I thought of it as a gimmicky lens for odd pics, but I have changed my mind. Yes, you can taken the amusing close ups of people's faces which are then highly distorted, I tried that with great amusement and hilarity in my family, but it does so much more.
I have uploaded a sample set from the hundreds I have taken over the past week. It has to go back today and I am very sorry to see it go....unless of course it needs a new home....IAN .

First some pics which are pretty much straight from the camera, just the odd bit of straightening or sharpening.

Priory Church Dunstable

Dunstable Downs visitor centre

Dunatable Downs visitor centre

The following are pics which have been edited strongly in PS, but all started with an image from the fish eye.

Passing the time of day

Battle of Britain Ale

Priory Church Dunstable

Many Hands make light work. This involved using mulitple exposure setting on the camera, and layers in PS.

Finally one of my Dad, who has been very ill and is just recovering from a quadruple heart bypass. I don't think he looks bad for 79yrs!

Thank you so much for looking, I am very happy with the weeks shooting....I dont think it will be the last time I will be hiring the lens!
Old 9th April 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Fish Eye lens image samples

You've got some interesting results there which exploit the capabilities of this lens.

My favourite is the beer bottles, and not just for the obvious reason!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 9th April 2010

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

The new Samyang 8mm f3.5 fisheye is getting good reports and around the 200 mark, considerably cheaper than the Zuiko.

There's a 4/3rds version available, but I'd be inclined to get a Nikon version and fit a chipped adaptor, which would make the lens more versatile and if sold, attract a bigger potential market.

Jim
Old 9th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jim

I have tried the Samyang (well the re-badged Falcon version) and I am very happy with it, but be aware that one fisheye does not necessarily give the same effect as another even at the same FL depending on how the lens was designed.

The Samyang was designed to fill the APS sensor, so when used on the Oly 2x crop sensor the effect is less distorted and the coverage of the lens is not so wide. The Zuiko 8mm has been purposely designed for the 2x crop. The Peleng will also be different. Where they do share similarity is that they are all diagonal rather than circular fisheye lenses, It would be nice to get a collection of the 3 together to shoot the same subject so that people can see the differences between them.

It will be interesting to see how the 4/3 mount version of the Samyang fares; I have been using the Nikon mount with Nikon to 4/3 adapter and have had to space the adapter apart using a shim ( am currently using a piece of cardboard, but need to find something more suitable) as the lens would not focus otherwise. For some this will be an inconvenience they would not be prepared to accept, but I agree having a 4/3 native mount may make resale of the lens more difficult in the future.

This thread details the initial problems I had with focussing:
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8841

Here is a similar shot taken now that I have shimmed the adpater that shows the improvement:
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8844

I personally didn't bother with a chipped adapter as once the shim is sorted so the lens will focus, the DOF is so large that it doesn't have much utility. Also the below report suggested that chipped adapters when used with this lens were problematic in terms of fouling the Oly body.

http://www.versacorp.com/vlink/jcreview/sy8rv9jc.pdf

So yes, the Samyang is a much cheaper lens but it isn't a direct comparison with the Zuiko.

I think Shirley's photos have shown that fisheye lenses are much more than the one-trick ponies many people would believe if used in the right way.

Regards

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP
Old 9th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gethin View Post
Jim
The Samyang was designed to fill the APS sensor, so when used on the Oly 2x crop sensor the effect is less distorted and the coverage of the lens is not so wide. The Zuiko 8mm has been purposely designed for the 2x crop. The Peleng will also be different. Where they do share similarity is that they are all diagonal rather than circular fisheye lenses, It would be nice to get a collection of the 3 together to shoot the same subject so that people can see the differences between them.
Regards
I've always liked the fish eye effect, and had a Jessops screw in adaptor that produced some interesting results on 35mm. It had to be used with the lens at f16 or thereabouts to give good results. I have some slides somewhere of the ceiling (and windows, and walls!) of Kings College chapel in Cambridge with the adaptor+28mm lens I was quite pleased with.

I bought a Peleng for my E500, but was quite disappointed with the results, and sold it soon after. As David says, they are not designed for the 4/3rds crop and I was less than enthusiastic about it. The CA was quite startling in some shots. Some Oly users I know really like the Peleng, so it may just be a matter of personal preference.

Shirley's shots unfortunately remind me how much I would like to get my hands on a ZD 8mm. I daren't hire one, because I know I wouldn't want to be parted from it...
Old 9th April 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
Shirley's shots unfortunately remind me how much I would like to get my hands on a ZD 8mm. I daren't hire one, because I know I wouldn't want to be parted from it...
Do it, Hugh. I have had the 8mm for 30 months and, while it doesn't come out to play that often, it is good to know that it can when I want to!

Nick
Old 9th April 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Great Shots Shirley, you put the lens to good use, I have the Falcon 8mm on order that David meationed and cant wait for it to turn up so I can play with some of these effects

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 9th April 2010

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

An interesting debate on the realtive merits of different fisheye lenses .....is fish eye one word or two?

Thanks for the comments, it certainly was a fun lens to play with and I am sure I will want to hire it again. I know what Hugh means, it was very difficult to leave it with Ian this afternoon, but then I should give others a chance to give it a try...go on Hugh you know you want to

The big surprise for me was its use as a street photography lens, because of the 180 degree angle of view people don't realise they are being photographed and behave more naturally.

Thanks to Ian for an easy, problem free hire.
Shirley
Old 11th April 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Have you tried the 7-14

I havn't used the 8mm yet but I believe I could probably get the same effect with the 7-14 and PS.

I will try the 8mm one day just to compare the effects and see if it works

Great shots - for me the curves are what gives the lens such appeal.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 12th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
go on Hugh you know you want to
I do, it's my bank manager and my Chief Financial Controller who aren't keen!
Old 13th April 2010
donmcmahan

I am personally not a fisheye fan but have to admit that you have some interesting images there. I think the first one would have been better if the horizon had been centered vertically in the frame, and I really like the one with the selective focus, but as I was scrolling down and read "And finally one of my Dad..." I thought Oh god I can't bear to look, a fisheye portrait just has to be awful... how wrong I was, that actually works remarkably well !