Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 31st March 2010
forester

Focus Screens

Has anyone changed the focus screen on the E-620, I have a new “split” one so I can do manual macro’s with it, rather than guessing.
If you have, any problems encountered ?
Old 31st March 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Focus Screens

Didn't know they were user-changeable. Where did you get your new screen from?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 31st March 2010

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

I changed the screen on my E400 a couple of years ago. Looking in the E620, it looks more recessed and difficult than I remember..

Anyway if you can mount the camera on the bottom of your tripod column it gives you a firm place to start (a picture on my website is here) http://www.snaar.co.uk/fourthirds/

Don't get any dust on it... none whatsoever :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 31st March 2010
forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Didn't know they were user-changeable. Where did you get your new screen from?
Hi Stephen, The Focus screen was from one of my favourite places in Hong Kong via eBay.
If you want the name please ask and I will forward it to you the cost was £16.95 inc postage
Old 31st March 2010
forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
I changed the screen on my E400 a couple of years ago. Looking in the E620, it looks more recessed and difficult than I remember..

Anyway if you can mount the camera on the bottom of your tripod column it gives you a firm place to start (a picture on my website is here) http://www.snaar.co.uk/fourthirds/

Don't get any dust on it... none whatsoever :-)

Pete
Hi Pete
I have done them before but larger ones and on 35mm cameras in the past, some have very awkward shims on them others are very easy.
The screen is the same as the E-410 and up from there so all the 5 series as well.
I also know the E-30 is the same as the E-3 but quite expensive
Regards
Richard h
Old 31st March 2010

Liked 178 Times in 118 Posts

Forester, I'd be rather wary of even attempting it, despite the advertising from the screen seller.
The screen may be the correct size, but I'm not convinced it will fit. I've a suspicion that you may damage the underneath of the pentaprism, if you try.

I contacted Katz Eye optics a while ago, since they are arguably the leading exponent in the field and received the following reply

Dear Fellow Photographer,

We are writing you today because you expressed an interest in a Katz Eye focusing screen for the Olympus E-620 camera. Unfortunately, after an examination of the E-620, it has been determined that the design of this camera makes it unsuitable for a split prism type focusing screen.
Specifically, the viewfinder design of the E-620 lacks sufficient clearance for the insertion of the prism itself. As this is a fundamental design limit of both the camera and split prism rangefinders, no solution is apparent and we do not expect to support the Olympus E-620 in the future.
We will continue to support as many models as possible and while we share your disappointment that the E-620 cannot accept a Katz Eye focusing screen, we appreciate your interest in our products and hope you will consider us for your future focusing screen needs.

Bit of a shame as I'd seriously considered ordering one so I could use it with my 300mm F2.8 Tokina

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!

Last edited by peak4; 31st March 2010 at 07:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
Falk (16th January 2014)
Old 31st March 2010
forester

It does look awkward, I have done them before but not on this body, some on other cameras are very easy.
The actual screen is the same as the 4-5 and 6 series.
I know "katseye" do one for the E-3, but as far as I know nothing else in the Oly range.
Thanks guys

I may just ask my friendly camera repair shop if they have done any if so they can do mine as my hands are not as stable as they once were.

Last edited by forester; 31st March 2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: addition
Old 31st March 2010

Liked 178 Times in 118 Posts

Forester, Hopefully spelt correctly this time with one R.

Katz Eye Optics do make screens for the rest of the Olympus Four Thirds range. Their web site is Here.

I'm assuming they would make one for the 600/620 if they could, as they support the rest of the range quite well. (They even cover the DMC-1, the L10, and the Digilux 3)

If you do go ahead, please let us know how you get on.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 31st March 2010
forester

Hi Bill , I will do, looking at it, I will ask my very friendly camera repair shop to do it if possible, I can barely see it let alone change it, when you get older and the bits of the body don’t function as well as they used to, such as eyes and fingers.
I'm falling apart slowly
Thanks all
Old 31st March 2010
MarkVarley

I've changed them in an E300, E500 & E520, the latter two were quite easy, the E300 was a bitch.
Old 1st April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have changed mine on my E-450.

It is easy to do but you must be very careful not to scratch the new screeen.

Just as an aside. Since doing this I no longer see any of the 3 red dots for the auto focus on the screeen. I know they are still working as I can sometimes see the red light in a reflection somewhere from within.

Not sure if I made a ricket when I put the new screen in or not!!

Got mine from eBay (Hong Kong) took about 12 days to get here and cost £12.99

Still it works for me and should I need to change it I have the original screen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfairgrieve/
Old 1st April 2010
forester

If like me an older person or just not wanting to foul it up.
there are a few that wil do it for you.
If up there in the land of the cold and snow
I have just spoken to Johnstones in Glasgow, Olympus repairers they will do it for £37 inc return post and a sensor clean thown in, of course you have to get the screen yourself.
link to web pages

http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/
Old 2nd April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
I have changed mine on my E-450.

It is easy to do but you must be very careful not to scratch the new screeen.

Just as an aside. Since doing this I no longer see any of the 3 red dots for the auto focus on the screeen. I know they are still working as I can sometimes see the red light in a reflection somewhere from within.

Not sure if I made a ricket when I put the new screen in or not!!

Got mine from eBay (Hong Kong) took about 12 days to get here and cost £12.99

Still it works for me and should I need to change it I have the original screen.
I had a Katz Eye on my E500, which I installed myself without problems. I didn't get a replacement when I upgraded to the E510 as losing the red LEDs was an issue Katz highlighted in their publicity. Presumably the same applies to your E450. Because I use glasses and use an ME-1, I relied on the red dots for focus confirmation, as I couldn't see the VF readout easily, so losing them was an issue.

I endorse the point about how easy the screens are to scratch. One of my friends on Flickr had this problem, despite taking pains to avoid it.

I know there are some good Chinese made screens out there - but the one I bought for my E1 was c##p! It came out after a couple of weeks. Hopefully yours will be one of the good ones.

Getting a repairer to do the job seems like a good idea - either that or a supply of Beta Blockers - I find fiddling about inside a new camera a terrifying experience!
Old 2nd April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mark's comment about the difficulty with the E-300 appears to be born out on the Katzeye website where they don't provide instructions for E-3xx series. Looking at the instructions for the E-520 and comparing with how recessed the retaining clip is on my E-30 I'm put off doing it myself.

I know the Katzeye has a great reputation but at $105 plus shipping and taxes if you get caught plus the installation I can't yet justify it.

Besides I'd end up spending more for one of the gridline patterns.

Installation guides can be found here:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--F...s--guides.html

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP