Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17th March 2010
Four Thirds User
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Arrow Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Today we had lunch with the manager of Olympus' SLR product planning team, Toshiyuki Terada - found out what he had to say about the future of Olympus DSLRs.

More...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17th March 2010
Invicta's Avatar
Invicta Invicta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Third rock from the sun
Posts: 1,018
Thanks: 66
Thanked 241 Times in 124 Posts
Likes: 18
Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Glad you asked the question Ian as this would probably be my next purchase from Oly:

Quote:
I reminded Toshi of the expectation of the new 100mm macro lens that has been on Olympus' lens roadmap for some time now. He greeted this with a smile: "I don't think we actually said this would be a 100mm lens, only that we indicated in the chart that it would be around 100mm!" Beyond that, Toshi didn't say more on this subject, except that it would be released in due course.
Bit of a teasing answer.... maybe it will be 105mm?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17th March 2010
wanderer's Avatar
wanderer wanderer is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Penicuik
Posts: 1,248
Thanks: 95
Thanked 115 Times in 100 Posts
Likes: 19
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Having read the account of the interview on 4/3, yer man was definitely on message.
Committing to nothing specific (as a good businessman)and being very polite (as I would expect a Japanese person to be).
He probably got the information he wanted and the response he wanted.

So my reckoning... a new top end DSLR in August around 15-17 Mp about the same size or slightly smaller than the E-3 (I agree with the balance thing when a big lens is on.), HD video,more AF points, faster AF, upgraded metering, better quality and greater range at high ISO, body costing 2500 and it'll be called E-4.
With a top pro zoom (standard?)lens to fall approximately into the 12-60mm category with a max aperture of F2 throughout the zoom and costing 2000.
Discuss

Or am I just being disingenuous and cynical.
I'll still be saving the bawbees for one though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19th March 2010
HughofBardfield's Avatar
HughofBardfield HughofBardfield is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Great Bardfield, Essex, UK
Posts: 730
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

So, HD video to go with the pointless "Art Filters" and scene modes - Great!

It would be nice if Olympus actually listened to their end users (vide the poll on this forum not so long ago) and stopped adding "features" that are simply marketing gimmicks.

It would also be nice if they addressed the long neglected extremes of their lens range (ie super wide and super tele).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19th March 2010
snaarman's Avatar
snaarman snaarman is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Baaarkshire UK
Posts: 6,838
Thanks: 494
Thanked 417 Times in 325 Posts
Likes: 492
Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Here's an idea I raised a while back. On top of both my cameras is the usual mode dial. S.P.A.M, AUTO plus 5 weird symbols I never use.

How about this. That dial is removable (with a small allen key) and you get a second dial in the box with S.P.A.M, AUTO, and 5 lots of "mymode". Oooh. That would be nice.

The camera knows which dial is fitted, (there is a switch or sensor inside) so it runs slightly different firmware and gives you your 5 Mymodes to play with.

Go on Olympus - patent that idea. I give it to you for free...

Pete
__________________
Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.


Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19th March 2010
Adagio's Avatar
Adagio Adagio is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Marchwood, Hampshire
Posts: 816
Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Likes: 78
Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
How about this. That dial is removable (with a small allen key) and you get a second dial in the box with S.P.A.M, AUTO, and 5 lots of "mymode". Oooh. That would be nice.

The camera knows which dial is fitted, (there is a switch or sensor inside) so it runs slightly different firmware and gives you your 5 Mymodes to play with.
Cracking idea Pete
__________________
David


Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19th March 2010
StephenL's Avatar
StephenL StephenL is offline
Senior Pixelmonger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yorkshire Dales
Posts: 9,863
Thanks: 984
Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Likes: 658
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

The problem I see with using any amount of "my modes" is that, even with just one, I can never remember what I've set it to! So I'd stand no chance with five!
__________________
Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19th March 2010
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,563
Thanks: 421
Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Likes: 862
Liked 1,692 Times in 768 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
So, HD video to go with the pointless "Art Filters" and scene modes - Great!

It would be nice if Olympus actually listened to their end users (vide the poll on this forum not so long ago) and stopped adding "features" that are simply marketing gimmicks.

It would also be nice if they addressed the long neglected extremes of their lens range (ie super wide and super tele).
Haha! Hugh, tsk tsk, even I have to admit that the Art Filters are not mere toys, or indeed, gimmicks - same for video. I respect your opinion, but I dare say you are in a small minority on this.

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19th March 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

The art filters are not on the E-3 & may not be put on the new E-3 replacement. As for the video, as much as I like an SLR to be an SLR, I think it can only improve our opportunities, and if you don`t want to use it then thats fine, just ignore the fact that the camera has that function
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19th March 2010
E-3's Avatar
E-3 E-3 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
body costing 2500
2500 I hope not! I think it will be more like 1500 (but I could be wrong)
__________________
Regards James.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19th March 2010
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,056
Thanks: 1,982
Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Likes: 3,382
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Having read the account of the interview on 4/3, yer man was definitely on message.
Committing to nothing specific (as a good businessman)and being very polite (as I would expect a Japanese person to be).
He probably got the information he wanted and the response he wanted.

So my reckoning... a new top end DSLR in August around 15-17 Mp about the same size or slightly smaller than the E-3 (I agree with the balance thing when a big lens is on.), HD video,more AF points, faster AF, upgraded metering, better quality and greater range at high ISO, body costing 2500 and it'll be called E-4.
With a top pro zoom (standard?)lens to fall approximately into the 12-60mm category with a max aperture of F2 throughout the zoom and costing 2000.

Discuss

Or am I just being disingenuous and cynical.
I'll still be saving the bawbees for one though.
Wow! If only that was all possible - at 2500 it'd be a real bargain!

And that zoom - put me down for one, but why not f1.4?
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 19th March 2010
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,605
Thanks: 39
Thanked 678 Times in 640 Posts
Likes: 254
Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
Glad you asked the question Ian as this would probably be my next purchase from Oly:

I reminded Toshi of the expectation of the new 100mm macro lens that has been on Olympus' lens roadmap for some time now. He greeted this with a smile: "I don't think we actually said this would be a 100mm lens, only that we indicated in the chart that it would be around 100mm!" Beyond that, Toshi didn't say more on this subject, except that it would be released in due course.

Bit of a teasing answer.... maybe it will be 105mm?
I've been waiting for the 100mm macro through at least three revisions of the lens roadmap.

It's been pushed back so many times now I'll only believe it exists when it's on dealers shelves.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20th March 2010
Invicta's Avatar
Invicta Invicta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Third rock from the sun
Posts: 1,018
Thanks: 66
Thanked 241 Times in 124 Posts
Likes: 18
Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I've been waiting for the 100mm macro through at least three revisions of the lens roadmap.

It's been pushed back so many times now I'll only believe it exists when it's on dealers shelves.
Yes, the earliest date I saw was 2007 so this lens has been a long time on the drawing board.

I will only believe Oly is committed to four-thirds DSLRs when this lens is available.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20th March 2010
Xpres
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Having read the account of the interview on 4/3, yer man was definitely on message.
Committing to nothing specific (as a good businessman)and being very polite (as I would expect a Japanese person to be).
He probably got the information he wanted and the response he wanted.

So my reckoning... a new top end DSLR in August around 15-17 Mp about the same size or slightly smaller than the E-3 (I agree with the balance thing when a big lens is on.), HD video,more AF points, faster AF, upgraded metering, better quality and greater range at high ISO, body costing 2500 and it'll be called E-4.
With a top pro zoom (standard?)lens to fall approximately into the 12-60mm category with a max aperture of F2 throughout the zoom and costing 2000.
Discuss

Or am I just being disingenuous and cynical.
I'll still be saving the bawbees for one though.

Yes, why not! I'm waiting for something like this... But I'm not bothered about video or art filters - I haven't used the film mode on my 5D once yet!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20th March 2010
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,605
Thanks: 39
Thanked 678 Times in 640 Posts
Likes: 254
Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Lunch with Olympus' manager of SLR product planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
Yes, the earliest date I saw was 2007 so this lens has been a long time on the drawing board.

I will only believe Oly is committed to four-thirds DSLRs when this lens is available.
I seem to think it was on the original lens roadmap planned for release in 2005.

I know I first saw it on a roadmap planned for release in 2005, then 2008 and on and on.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gallery of official Olympus E-PL1 product images Four Thirds User Articles from FourThirds-User.com 0 3rd February 2010 06:22 AM
Win ACDSee Pro Photo Manager 3 during November Four Thirds User Articles from FourThirds-User.com 0 11th November 2009 01:40 PM
Financial Planning Poacher The lounge 2 23rd January 2009 07:12 PM
Photokina interview with Toshi Terada, Olympus product manager CaptainD Camera conference 3 4th October 2008 11:43 AM
Product supply updates Ian Announcements 8 11th December 2007 10:49 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger