Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 14th July 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,454 Times in 2,115 Posts
Pop Up Scam?

I've just had a pop-up on my PC with the McAfee logo, informing me that my subscription has expired and inviting me to click to renew. I only renewed it in March so I logged on to the McAfee site using my own link and sure enough it confirmed my subscription has 257 days to run. Has my computer been hacked?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 14th July 2019

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts
Re: Pop Up Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I've just had a pop-up on my PC with the McAfee logo, informing me that my subscription has expired and inviting me to click to renew. I only renewed it in March so I logged on to the McAfee site using my own link and sure enough it confirmed my subscription has 257 days to run. Has my computer been hacked?
Not necessarily hacked, but there are plenty of scammers who purport to represent legitimate organisations who use such tactics to ask for your card details, etc.

I certainly wouldn't be paying anything given that you have a current subscription.

If you go to the Kaspersky website you can download a free scanner to run on your system just in case McAfee has missed anything. I believe Sophos has a similar utility.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (15th July 2019)
Old 14th July 2019

Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:

There's a known McAffee scam - see https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove...d-today-popup/
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOxon For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (15th July 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (16th July 2019)
Old 14th July 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Pop Up Scam?

Sophos is the best!

Barclays stopped giving away free Kaspersky after all the Russia “issues”...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 14th July 2019

Liked 708 Times in 481 Posts

So long as you didn’t click the link ( you didn’t did you?) then you should be fine. For peace of mind maybe download a couple of the free scanners and double check, I think you’ll be OK ( with the ‘didn’t click’ proviso) though.
Old 14th July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Sophos is the best!

Barclays stopped giving away free Kaspersky after all the Russia “issues”...

I used Sophos for a few years but switched to Kaspersky because Sophos would not scan emails at the point of download and would only intervene if a malicious attachment was executed.

(I contacted Sophos who explained that their system expected emails to be scanned at the mail server.)

I am aware of Kaspersky's Russian origins but it is the best security system that I have ever used, and I doubt is any less secure than programs which may be linked to the CIA.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Zuiko (15th July 2019)
Old 15th July 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
So long as you didn’t click the link ( you didn’t did you?) then you should be fine. For peace of mind maybe download a couple of the free scanners and double check, I think you’ll be OK ( with the ‘didn’t click’ proviso) though.
No, I didn't click the link. I closed the browser, opened a new one and used a saved link in my favourites to get on the genuine McAfee site.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th July 2019
Administrator

Thanks guys, I think I will do a full scan with McAfee, then Scan again with Kaspersky and see if anything is identified.

Old 15th July 2019

Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,298 Posts
Liked 2,339 Times in 1,111 Posts

Well caught John you did a lot better than I did a few months ago. It was a similar scam but for the TV license renewal in an email. It looked really genuine and the email sender looked fine so I clicked on it. Still looked fine with all the TV license website details and pages looking really perfect the only time I noticed a problem was when I hit the final button and it went to a really doggy site address. In horror I shut everything down immediately and swore a lot. Quickly contacted the bank who were brilliant and checked my account and then locked it down. Resending me cards and pins etc. Luckily no problems were spotted as I had reacted quickly but due to the issue they were very cautious in resetting up my account and monitored it for about a week before getting my on line banking running again. A bit of a pain but certainly a relief. I scanned my pc with everything I could think of and it too was fine so OK in the end but definitely a lesson learned. I thought I was fairly IT savvy but this scam was very well put together.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (4 Weeks Ago)
Zuiko (16th July 2019)
Old 15th July 2019

Liked 210 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Thanks guys, I think I will do a full scan with McAfee, then Scan again with Kaspersky and see if anything is identified.
Why not simply do as the link MikeOxon kindly provided suggests ? MalwareBytes has identified the malware ( “Your McAfee Subscription Has Expired” ) and gives full instructions how to remove it.

MalwareBytes Free has identified several similar scams on my systems and immediately quarantined the malicious files. As it is a free download its well worth downloading the software even if it's never needed.

Obviously in the case quoted, McAfee and and Kapersky failed to spot the malware before it loaded and popped up.

Jax
Zuiko (16th July 2019)
Old 15th July 2019

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

I think this one comes from some of the ads that you get at the side of stuff and you don't even need to click on the ad to get infected. I've used malware bytes in the past to deal with this one.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 15th July 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
I think this one comes from some of the ads that you get at the side of stuff and you don't even need to click on the ad to get infected. I've used malware bytes in the past to deal with this one.
A lot of these crop up from 'clickbait' links on Facebook and other social media sites including forums. I find magazines are the worst.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 16th July 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Why not simply do as the link MikeOxon kindly provided suggests ? MalwareBytes has identified the malware ( “Your McAfee Subscription Has Expired” ) and gives full instructions how to remove it.

MalwareBytes Free has identified several similar scams on my systems and immediately quarantined the malicious files. As it is a free download its well worth downloading the software even if it's never needed.

Obviously in the case quoted, McAfee and and Kapersky failed to spot the malware before it loaded and popped up.

Jax
For some reason I was a little nervous about this and decided to try the easy options first. However, you are quite right and I put aside plenty of time today to download both Malwarebytes and Hitman. As it happened, it went without a hitch and took less time than I expected.

Old 16th July 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
Thank you very much, Mike, I followed your link today and downloaded both Malwarebytes and Hitman, scanning my computer with each. I don't know for sure whether it has worked or not yet, but Malwarebytes found 9 threats that McAfee had missed and Hitman found one more. I couldn't find anything specific to the false McAfee pop up and it had not been downloaded as a program, but I am encouraged that the new software has identified potential problems that my existing protection had missed. When my McAfee subscription falls due, I am wondering whether to cancel it and pay for the full Malwarebytes instead. I am also considering changing from Microsoft Edge to an alternative browser.

Thank you once again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
MikeOxon (17th July 2019)
Old 19th July 2019

Quote:
Thank you very much, Mike, I followed your link today and downloaded both Malwarebytes and Hitman, scanning my computer with each. I don't know for sure whether it has worked or not yet, but Malwarebytes found 9 threats that McAfee had missed and Hitman found one more. I couldn't find anything specific to the false McAfee pop up and it had not been downloaded as a program, but I am encouraged that the new software has identified potential problems that my existing protection had missed. When my McAfee subscription falls due, I am wondering whether to cancel it and pay for the full Malwarebytes instead. I am also considering changing from Microsoft Edge to an alternative browser.

Thank you once again.
I personally like MS Edge and would be reluctant to swap it for Chrome or another browser. Edge is fast, has a much better spell-checker than Chrome and I believe is as secure as possible without the snooping that undoubtedly goes on with Chrome. I just wish Edge could be installed on Windows 8.1 machines.

Antivirus is a personal thing, but I wouldn't use McAfee or Norton as in my experience they slow down machines unnecessarily and like to nag you about what they are doing so you feel your money is well spent, but still let all sorts of nasties in. When I switched to Kaspersky a few years ago I was horrified by the sheer number of infected files that Norton had been ignoring for years, and yet it regularly slowed the machine to a crawl whilst scanning.

Please also note that the free downloads suggested for virus scanning are just that. They don't scan for malware or adware; that functionality comes with the full security package and I find works very well.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (19th July 2019)