Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 19th June 2019

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts
Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Well, when I bought my second hand body, a few short weeks back, I had no expectation that Olympus would improve it this significantly. I look forward to trying it out.
Old 19th June 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
If you were sitting on an Airbus Axxx and an announcement came over the tannoy that the software had been updated, just as quick, would you a) sit there and think nice things about the flight ahead, maybe order a 1/3 bottle of wine with your meal, or b) head to the nearest escape exit pdq (assuming you were still on the ground, at the stand)?!
Option (a)!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Despite my criticism of the Centre Priority setting I tried a few shots of passing gulls and they seemed to work pretty well. That was after I discovered that the update had changed my default shutter speed from 1/2000 to 1/250 sec (I wondered why they were blurred.) It is really good to have the 5x5 point AF point option available now.

Ron
Yes, the update sets f5.6 (A & M) and 1/250 sec (S & M) into any custom settings you've got. This was a bug that was fixed some time ago - we've regressed! Minor point though, so I'm not bitching about it too much
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Russ View Post
Well, Thanks to you lot I updated the Firmware...It reset my C1 & C2. Grrrr! I'm new to this camera n not got a clue how to get it back to how it was. My memory in me head not so good. Anyway, to fill you in--My battery was going to 0% after 183 shots or less using C-AF on custom 1....Today I just set my 'A' aperture priority on S-AF and put back in the battery that originally took 183, Well lo n behold, I took 323 images. Was it the firmware or does this Om1 mk2 of mine not like C-AF for Birding/Sports. I use BBF. If anyone has a set of easy to follow settings for BBF.C-AF for Birding Sports Please do Tell. Thank You.
Battery life is very little to do with the number of shots taken. It's primarily driven by how long the camera is turned on. I've shots thousands on some occasions and low hundreds on others.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Dennis Russ (19th June 2019)
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 788 Times in 271 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-tE...ature=youtu.be
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
It's the same - just that firmware is software installed in a EEPROM (or similar).
I associate firmware with FPGAs and software with the Neumann style computer. This is the common industry definition.

Uncommitted FPGAs are configured at power on reset using the firmware stored in ROM, typically an EEPROM. Remember of course that EEPROMs need refreshing, charge storage is approx 10 years.

on flickr
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts

Aargh. I’m not so good with computers and can’t open the updater software once I’ve downloaded it. It asks me what I want to open the file with?

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."
Old 19th June 2019

Quote:
I associate firmware with FPGAs and software with the Neumann style computer. This is the common industry definition.

Uncommitted FPGAs are configured at power on reset using the firmware stored in ROM, typically an EEPROM. Remember of course that EEPROMs need refreshing, charge storage is approx 10 years.
Hmmm - I think we could have a debate about that...

From Mirriam Webster dictionary:

Quote:
Definition of firmware
: computer programs contained permanently in a hardware device (such as a read-only memory)
I wouldn't call FPGAs firmware - or if I did I'd say it's very low-level firmware.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
raichea (21st June 2019)
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Hmmm - I think we could have a debate about that...

From Mirriam Webster dictionary:

I wouldn't call FPGAs firmware - or if I did I'd say it's very low-level firmware.
No Mirium Webster is incorrect. FPGAs are uncommitted logic arrays configured at power-up reset by code stored in PROM. FPGAs can be complex and include DSPs (good for maths processing). The code for FPGAs is generally written in C or directly in Boolean expressions, then compiled.

Believe me, I worked with these things for years and years.

on flickr
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I hear there's a feature to make the focus ring on the lens automatically switch to MF mode, so in effect all lenses have a clutch. This seems eminently sensible to me; the expected behaviour for someone brought up on SLRs before AF existed. Why else would you be using the focus ring if not to (manually) focus ?

Haven't applied the update myself yet ...

Install the update. Then this is how it works.
You turn on that function by going to menu A1 and it is the second line down. Turn it on.
Then in S-AF you get S-AF+MF, and in C-AF you get C-AF+MF.
The +MF means you can manually adjust at any time by turning the focus ring. Releasing the shutter button and half-pressing it again will restart the mode you were in before you started changing the focus manually.
The Following User Says Thank You to Growltiger For This Useful Post:
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 3,486 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinders View Post
Aargh. I’m not so good with computers and can’t open the updater software once I’ve downloaded it. It asks me what I want to open the file with?
Cinders, you should be coming up with a programme that displays this....

To download it you might have to register etc with name and P/W...

I think it has been updated itself in the last several months......so you might have to download the latest version..

My Flickr
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts

Install Olympus Workspace and use that. The update function is on a menu to make it easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Growltiger For This Useful Post:
Old 19th June 2019

Quote:
No Mirium Webster is incorrect. FPGAs are uncommitted logic arrays configured at power-up reset by code stored in PROM. FPGAs can be complex and include DSPs (good for maths processing). The code for FPGAs is generally written in C or directly in Boolean expressions, then compiled.

Believe me, I worked with these things for years and years.
OK, I'll accept that FGPAs are firmware then - if you'll accept that software (von Neuman style) in ROM is also firmware . I accept that they go about it in different ways, but both are about executing some logic rules to get a result. Whether that's a von Neuman approach or not is probably not material to whether it's "firmware". I think a reasonable view is that firmware refers to logic (algorithm or defined set of logical operations) stored in something that's relatively permanent (i.e. "firm").
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I not got a clue to what you mean RobEW lol I new to this OMD1 mk2 coming from 20 years of Canon gear. I use Auto Focus anyway...
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 363 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Russ View Post
Well, Thanks to you lot I updated the Firmware...It reset my C1 & C2. Grrrr! I'm new to this camera n not got a clue how to get it back to how it was. My memory in me head not so good. Anyway, to fill you in--My battery was going to 0% after 183 shots or less using C-AF on custom 1....Today I just set my 'A' aperture priority on S-AF and put back in the battery that originally took 183, Well lo n behold, I took 323 images. Was it the firmware or does this Om1 mk2 of mine not like C-AF for Birding/Sports. I use BBF. If anyone has a set of easy to follow settings for BBF.C-AF for Birding Sports Please do Tell. Thank You.
Did you follow the procedure all the way to the end? The program saves your custom settings, deletes them during the update and once the update is done there’s a final step to put the custom settings back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I hear there's a feature to make the focus ring on the lens automatically switch to MF mode, so in effect all lenses have a clutch. This seems eminently sensible to me; the expected behaviour for someone brought up on SLRs before AF existed. Why else would you be using the focus ring if not to (manually) focus ?

Haven't applied the update myself yet ...
I’ve never liked this feature tbh as it can be too easy on some lenses to ‘nudge’ the focus ring, and if MF is active all the time it ‘could’ lead to more focus inaccuracies. I’d rather only have it on when I want to MF. YMMV

Quote:
Battery life is very little to do with the number of shots taken. It's primarily driven by how long the camera is turned on. I've shots thousands on some occasions and low hundreds on others.
True, if you burst shoot you get far more images than single shot for example.

I’ve been tending to get well over 1000 images per battery charge, IIRC I got close to 3000 at Donington, but then I was shooting in bursts of about 10-15 shots.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com