Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 14th May 2019

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts
So who's going to enforce it?

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-instant-fines

Unless it's enforced (by whom?) it will just be a joke!

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (14th May 2019)
Old 14th May 2019

Liked 3,503 Times in 1,632 Posts
Re: So who's going to enforce it?

The only vague excuse is to keep warm in the winter.

Must admit at traffic light etc, I keep my RX8 engine on, just in case it won't start.....though I have solved that problem (touch wood) with a £3000 engine refurb...

In my (cover your ears Nigel) electric car, I dare not put on the heater as it uses my electric power too much...

Seriously, the modern cars do stop the engine at traffic lights, and that system seems to work OK....Who is going to collect the fine, Exhausted Police I guess

My Flickr
Old 14th May 2019

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
The only vague excuse is to keep warm in the winter...
Seriously, the modern cars do stop the engine at traffic lights, and that system seems to work....
Who is going to collect the fine, Exhausted Police I guess
And cool in summer.

I don't have a modern enough car but (a) I think you can turn it off, (b) I believe that if you depress the clutch or put it into neutral then it doesn't stop the engine, and (c) it doesn't do it if the engine is cold or the battery is not fully charged.

I like the pun but the council will collect the fine though it might be issued by an exhausted policeman on behalf of the council. If the police do not get the money then it won't be high on their list of priorities.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
MJ224 (14th May 2019)
Old 14th May 2019

Liked 110 Times in 73 Posts

Our car has an eco cut out when sat at lights or at a standstill in traffic.
Depress the clutch to restart the engine, bit unnerving when we first had it
Old 14th May 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,147 Times in 2,456 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

I don't think this law is aimed at drivers who are stationary (not parked) at traffic lights. Rather, it is intended to stop couriers (including postmen) leaving their engines running whilst they are making a delivery. And parents on the afternoon school run, poisoning the air their offspring are about to breathe!

But there has to be some common sense; imagine if the bin lorries switched off every time they stopped to collect the waste - there's more than enough chaos now!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (14th May 2019), wornish (14th May 2019)
Old 14th May 2019

Liked 1,519 Times in 750 Posts

I drive a Diesel with an automatic transmission. The car more than meets the latest emission criteria so no daggers, please. It stops the engine if you are stationary at a junction for a few seconds with your foot on the brake. Then as soon as you lift your foot it restarts and off you go. The technology is not that expensive and could be retrofitted to delivery vehicles etc. If you drive a car with an old pre-alternator electrical system then I agree they wouldnt be able to cope with the constant demand for power.

My Flickr
Old 14th May 2019

Liked 2,272 Times in 1,501 Posts

What about taxi drivers keeping warm?

And what about bus drivers? They seem to be some of the worst offenders.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jim Ford (14th May 2019)
Old 14th May 2019

Liked 703 Times in 477 Posts

My car has stop/start and I use my discretion when I let it do it’s thing. If I’ve just arrived st lights then I might let it, if I’ve arrived and I’ve seen on approach that the lights are likely to turn green within a second or three then I will keep my foot on the clutch, thus preventing its stoppingness. I do think it should be about those that drive company vehicles and simply don’t care. On more then one occasion I’ve seen a British Gas van parked in local Sainsbury’s with engine running and still there when I’ve done my shopping, engine still running. Wuckfit. Anyway, no one to police it, like everything else, so genuine offenders will escape punishment while generally innocent people will get hammered.
Country gone to the dogs? Oh yes.
Old 14th May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
If you drive a car with an old pre-alternator electrical system then I agree they wouldnt be able to cope with the constant demand for power.
I don’t imagine there are more than a dozen drivers in the whole of the UK driving dynamo fitted cars as their everyday transport! I was replacing diode packs in alternators (as a ‘homer’) back in the 70s, there won’t be many (any?) k-reg cars commuting today!
Old 14th May 2019

What I dislike about these penalties is that like speed cameras, they will only affect those driving legally registered vehicles. They will not affect those driving unregistered vehicles with no tax, insurance or MOT (and probably no driving licence) because the automated systems don't know who to send the paperwork to.

Given the lack of police I doubt that catching them would be a priority unless they 'offended the wrong people on social media'.

We really have got our priorities wrong in my view.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Keith-369 (14th May 2019), TimP (14th May 2019)
Old 14th May 2019

Agree, totally wrong. But it will get results, results that can influence people and someone will get promoted for making things better. Utter bullshit. Those of us who abide by most rules will be affected, rather than the scumbags who abide by none.
Old 14th May 2019

Liked 59 Times in 22 Posts

Cue the formation of yet another group of private company enforcers paid for by you and me from our council tax. They will pounce on anyone leaving their engine running for a millisecond after having stopped. Having a flat battery and therefore unable to re-start will cut no mustard, neither will being cold or needing the engine to clear a misted windscreen Beware, these things will come to pass.

These clowns will of course be paid bonuses for each ticket issued.
Old 14th May 2019

Quite a few newer cars are fitted with remote control systems and timers to start the engine and have the car ready warmed up or cooled down for when the driver steps in. What will happen to these?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 15th May 2019

Liked 187 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
What about taxi drivers keeping warm?

And what about bus drivers? They seem to be some of the worst offenders.
Maybe the taxi drivers should wear a pullover. Most of their customers will be in outdoor clothing and don't really want to be overheated while in a taxi. As for buses, I expect the bus companies make a considered decision on how long a stop should require switching off, based on emissions, fuel costs and effectiveness, and incorporate this into their training. In any case, buses are part of the solution, not the problem, moving far more passenger miles per unit emission than cars.

As for who's going to enforce, it, it's true that the police are overstretched. However maybe even the possibility of a fine may improve some people's behaviour. The effectiveness of a financial deterrent depends partly on the sum involved, partly on the perceived likelihood of being caught, and partly ono the wealth of the individual. (The latter could be reduced in a way which arguably is more just, if fines were more dependent on wealth and affordability).
Old 15th May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
As for buses, I expect the bus companies make a considered decision on how long a stop should require switching off, based on emissions, fuel costs and effectiveness, and incorporate this into their training.

Not in my experience. I have often seen and hear buses, and particularity long distance coaches with engines left running for hours, quite literally. Likewise some lorries It is almost as if the sound of the engine provides comfort to the driver.

(I once had the joy of a long distance tour bus with its engine running outside my hotel room from 5.30 am. It didn't leave with its party of Japanese tourists until 07.40 am.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
In any case, buses are part of the solution, not the problem, moving far more passenger miles per unit emission than cars.
Buses are only the solution if they go where passengers want to go, and when, and are used. A 52 seater bus with four passengers on board is more polluting than four cars.

The problem with many rural buses is that they take such slow and circuitous routes, and run so infrequently that few people with a choice will use them. Railway branch lines were much more direct and efficient, but expensive to run.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing