Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 20th October 2017

Liked 433 Times in 209 Posts
Laptop update

Studying the forum recently I have decided that my 5 yr old laptop with a screen resolution of 1600 x 900 (Max) is maybe not enough now for me to process pics as I am now trying to do with Affinity and RAW files. Its fine for normal viewing of pages on the internet and daily emails etc, but if I want to improve on the pic processing it maybe that its time to move on to something better.

Researching info on the internet can be confusing but it points towards a better resolution screen, etc etc (i7 intel etc), much of it is above my wee brain, but as always I welcome the views of those who understand the technical side of these things far more than me....and what do people mostly use these days to process the pics they take.

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 20th October 2017

Liked 187 Times in 128 Posts
Re: Laptop update

I can't advise I'm afraid but I'm in a similar position so I'll watch this thread with interest. I'm wondering whether to invest in a better device for post processing, and if so, what. My existing slightly ancient laptop is an i7 but with no graphics card and - as I understand it - no facility to add one. Otherwise I might just upgrade the memory and buy a big monitor to go with it.
Old 20th October 2017

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Hi Peter, what kind of budget were you thinking?

I personally use a Surface Book at the moment for editing photos with Affinity and videos with DaVinci Resolve however there are a great range of devices these days!

If there are any other features that you'd like such as a touchscreen or portability these would also be handy to know

Rob - if you're considering buying a big monitor would you also be willing to look at a desktop?

Em1ii, GX7, 12-40 Pro, 60mm Macro, 40-150 Pro, PanaLeica 100-400mm, Sigma 30mm f1.4 & 16mm f1.4 and more bags than I can shake a tripod at :/

www.taberham.co.uk
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (22nd October 2017)
Old 20th October 2017

Liked 1,520 Times in 751 Posts

Most entry level laptops these days come with screen resolution of over 2000 pix on the long edge. For serious high resolution photo processing then the more the better.

Many external monitors are over 4000px on the long edge but you do need a good graphics card to drive them.

My Flickr
Old 20th October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTaberham View Post

Rob - if you're considering buying a big monitor would you also be willing to look at a desktop?
Yes, desktop & separate monitor is certainly one possibility.

I'm sometimes attracted to the idea of having a computer which never connects to the Internet. So no risk of viruses, no hackers, no ransomware, software keeps working forever without changes (and without licence fees being introduced) etc etc. Maybe a desktop which is used for post processing and Microsoft Office only would be attractive ...
Old 20th October 2017

Liked 433 Times in 209 Posts

Well that's my thoughts Rob, no internet connection as I have the laptop for that, just a separate monitor and desktop....I had found a 4k AIO but i'm hesitating ...not sure why as originally it was 1600 now available for 879, but it does have internet connection and runs Windows 10...the screen is brilliant though, the laptops I have looked at are quite expensive, and maximum of 15"...iMac i won't bother with whilst very good, I don't like being tied to Apple for everything.
Maybe a custom built then, with a cracking good monitor with no internet needed....i'm sure there will be other options from other forum members...

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocknroll59 For This Useful Post:
RobEW (20th October 2017)
Old 20th October 2017

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
I had found a 4k AIO but i'm hesitating ...not sure why as originally it was 1600 now available for 879, but it does have internet connection and runs Windows 10...

Peter
As far as photo editing goes I have generally steered clear of AiO designs - they're more likely to have overheating trouble and are harder to upgrade further down the line.

I wouldn't worry too much about being connected to the internet, WiFi can always be turned off if you don't want it but if you do ever need to update your firmware, install software for a printer or anything along those lines it's likely that there will be something that you need to download or validate online to get it working.

For a custom PC, have a look at Scan.co.uk - they've got some great custom builds and are even by appointment to the Queen!

Em1ii, GX7, 12-40 Pro, 60mm Macro, 40-150 Pro, PanaLeica 100-400mm, Sigma 30mm f1.4 & 16mm f1.4 and more bags than I can shake a tripod at :/

www.taberham.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to BTaberham For This Useful Post:
benpanesar (28th October 2017)
Old 20th October 2017

Liked 1,520 Times in 751 Posts

I would surprised if you can even find a motherboard that does not have an Ethernet port and USB ports to allow you to connect if required to the internet.

You could maybe find one with no WiFi built in, but that can easily be turned off.

You will find standard build systems are significantly cheaper and you don’t have to connect to the internet if you don’t want to.

My Flickr
Old 20th October 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,693 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Most entry level laptops these days come with screen resolution of over 2000 pix on the long edge. For serious high resolution photo processing then the more the better.

Many external monitors are over 4000px on the long edge but you do need a good graphics card to drive them.
Entry level laptops are most definitely still 1366 pixels wide - more than half of all sold at present. Full HD (1920 pixels widde) screens are gaining ground in laptops. Only a relative few have QHD (2560 pixels wide) or 4K (3840 pixels wide).

The total number of pixels is, in my view, less important than pixel pitch. If you are getting at least 150 pixels per inch then photo editing will look comfortable.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
RobEW (20th October 2017)
Old 20th October 2017

I don't mind having a device which can access the internet, so long as I have a way of permanently switching it off.

I've noticed in the trend from purchase to licence for software that Microsoft are a step ahead of me. The latest versions of Office are programmed to stop working if they don't connect to the Web periodically, and I guess also to stop working if you don't pay up regularly.
Old 21st October 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I would surprised if you can even find a motherboard that does not have an Ethernet port and USB ports to allow you to connect if required to the internet.

You could maybe find one with no WiFi built in, but that can easily be turned off.

You will find standard build systems are significantly cheaper and you dont have to connect to the internet if you dont want to.
An increasing number of laptops don't have physical RJ45 ethernet ports anymore because they are too big. USB-C is rapidly becoming a standard in compact or slim laptops. You basically use a dongle adapter to connect to the LAN and even a monitor or external storage. Some laptops use USB-C for charging as well. You can also get conventional USB to LAN adapters, best use USB3 if you want decent performance though.

Ian

Old 21st October 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I don't mind having a device which can access the internet, so long as I have a way of permanently switching it off.

I've noticed in the trend from purchase to licence for software that Microsoft are a step ahead of me. The latest versions of Office are programmed to stop working if they don't connect to the Web periodically, and I guess also to stop working if you don't pay up regularly.
You can still buy a stand alone version of MS Office. If you don't connect to the Internet to allow updates you will lose access to some features, like Business Skype and OneDrive cloud storage. But if you won't connect to the Internet anyway, that probably isn't an issue.

Ian

RobEW (22nd October 2017)
Old 21st October 2017
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

First question to answer is why a laptop?

If the machine is for Post Processing, whatever the chosen software, desktop will tend to give you more bang for your s and be easier to upgrade and repair in the event of problems.

So if mobility is not an issue I would suggest considering a desktop machine.

Hec
Old 21st October 2017

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
.. Researching info on the internet can be confusing but it points towards a better resolution screen, etc etc (i7 intel etc), much of it is above my wee brain, but as always I welcome the views of those who understand the technical side of these things far more than me....
Peter, in response to your original post, I would certainly go for a high resolution screen of at least full HD (1920x1080) although I am sure many others will suggest something higher. Look at physical size in conjunction with pixel resolution - Ian suggested somewhere up to 150ppi which seems a good value. I have recently moved to a 24" QHD screen of 125ppi from a 22" full HD screen at 100ppi. You could pay through the nose for the latest Microsoft Surface job but a small screen at 267ppi is really overdoing it from the display point of view. Yes, an i7 processor would (IMHO) be worthwhile for photo manipulation. Also consider your storage options. An SSD or mSTA for the operating system & apps, and a seperate hard drive for the data (photos in this case) makes for a fast system, good storage, and easy backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
... My existing slightly ancient laptop is an i7 but with no graphics card...
I'm not convinced that a seperate graphics card is must have for photo manipulation as you are generally dealing with bitmaps (rather than the area fill and polygons used in gaming). There are some good in-built graphics processors these days if ypu go for a high end processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
First question to answer is why a laptop?...
It may sound perverse but you can always plug a good monitor, keyboard, and mouse into a low resolution laptop. I do even though my laptop is 1920x1080 as I like the adjustability and physical size of a seperate monitor, the typing experience of my very old IBM keyboard, and the use of a mouse (I can't get on with trackpads - especially those without seperate "mouse" buttons). If this is your only computing device then a laptop does offer you the portability which you acknowlege is lacking in a desktop - albeit at a cost as you point out. Some of the high end laptops have space for 3 drives (mSATA and 2 hard drives) but the hard drives will be 2.5 inch bays so limited to 2TB each. With a desktop system you can have have multiple drives of 6TB capacity each and there are 10TB drives coming soon.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 22nd October 2017

Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts

It certainly used to be the case that standard laptop screens had a relatively small colour gamut compared to typical desktop screens - I haven't checked for a while but worth considering if you can even find the spec for the laptop display. There's a trend for laptops to have highly reflective screens as well, which I find unpleasant to use for image editing.

You'll pay a hefty premium for a laptop with anything other than a bog standard 15.6" mid-resolution screen and your investment will be lost when you next upgrade. Buying a quality standalone display, perhaps paying a premium to get a wide gamut display, will allow you to upgrade your system and preserve your investment in the display.

Just a few thoughts that might be useful.