Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2 The second generation smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 20th November 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-M10 Mark II vs E-M5 original

Hi everyone, my first post here.

I currently use a Nikon D5100, but I'm increasingly finding that I never take it anywhere because of the bulk. I'm interested in supplementing (or maybe even replacing) it with a small mirrorless camera.

The E-M10 Mark 2 happens to fit my budget, and I was quite close to pulling the trigger on one. But research suggests that a second hand E-M5 and lens (the original, not the the mark of the 2) costs roughly the same as a new E-M10 kit, and that got me thinking.

I know the E-M10 ii is newer, but compared to its older but more expensive sibling, which would you go for?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 20th November 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: E-M10 Mark II vs E-M5 original

Oops, I've just realised that autocorrect mangled some of that post. Hope it still makes sense.

Old 20th November 2016

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts

I'm not too sure how they compare features-wise, but I know that the E-M5 is weathersealed and the EM-10 isn't. This may not be important to you , of course - and even if it is, to take full advantage of it you will need a weathersealed lens as well.

And welcome to the forum!

John
Old 20th November 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

The E-M10ii is a better camera in almost every respect - except for weathersealing. I'd go that route. OTOH - I have an original E-M5 in the For Sale section that you can have for a very reasonable price (make me an offer!) that might give you a flavour for the system quite cheaply. The IQ will be the same from both.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 20th November 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
I'm not too sure how they compare features-wise, but I know that the E-M5 is weathersealed and the EM-10 isn't. This may not be important to you , of course - and even if it is, to take full advantage of it you will need a weathersealed lens as well.

And welcome to the forum!

John
Yes, that's one factor that got me thinking.