Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 25th September 2014

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts
Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
I certainly would not expect more than a slight improvement in C-AF at best but any improvement would be welcome. I expect any real improvement will not happen until EM-1 mkII.
Yes, I agree with that. I suspect some very serious processing power's going to be needed to achieve continuous focus performance that's remotely comparable to that of mirrored cameras, but the motor design of the new lens should get the most out of the M1.

However, this is really an example of what the great Ken Rockwell calls "digital rot": digital camera bodies devalue like bricks as they get overtaken by the current rapid technological advances. In comparison a really good lens will stay a really good lens through several body generations, so it holds its value for much longer.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 26th September 2014

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
When I brought the em1 with the 12-40pro coming up to a year ago I had all the intentions of buying the then promised 40-150mm f2.8 pro lens. Because of the long wait I lost interest in it and have instead brought a Tamron 14-150mm f5.8 sure not as fast but lighter covers a better focal range and costs considerably less. Now there is the promise of a 300mm f4 just how long will we have to wait or will Tamron beat Oly again.

I have the feeling the Olympus marketing people have the same disease as those of the British bike industry of the 1960/1970’s i.e sell stuff they want to make at a time that suits them and not what their customers want. I never did understand the logic of dropping FT bodies and all the excellent quality lenses that suited that body. When it comes to CAF mFT does not work as well as the competition or the previous E5. New lenses will not change that, it’s a technical ‘feature’ of the focusing system for the EVF. If there is an improvement due to drive motors in the lens I would think it will be undetectable by most camera users.
I too have bought the Tamron and after trialling it against my Leica 14-150mm. I find the performance is very much on a par for my purposes, more CA but easily corrected. Interestingly I have used it briefly for in flight shots of Rooks over the small wood opposite my house and it AFs much faster and more accurately than my 75-300mm making it even more useful than I hoped. I tend to use a Canon 7D/400mm for BIFs most of the time as it's CAF (Servo) is so reliable, but the performance of the new Tamron means it will be used more for this under suitable conditions.

David