Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 11th October 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: E3 problems - again!

Peter

Out of interest what firmware are you running on the E3??

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

this grip thing doesn't seem to be particularily stable from the comments from time to time........

I had this MLU once with my 510, from nowhere, and never again.

Touching the same wood as others with the 3....... but I don't have a grip near it!
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 882 Times in 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Thanks Yorkie.

Well, I have removed the grip and gone out for a very quick shoot and guess what, the camera settings are stable I obviously need to give it a longer try before I am confident. Thanks John and Andy. I would have hated to lose the camera again - now there may be a chance

At least I shall have more info to feed back to Oly on Monday.

Peter
Peter

This is excellent news.

I have never used the grip and will happily sell it to somebody that likes them.

If it is down to replacing the grip I'm sure Oly have a big cupboard full.

best wishes

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Peter

Out of interest what firmware are you running on the E3??
Andy

E3 is at 1.2 which I believe is the latest.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 11th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Peter

This is excellent news.

I have never used the grip and will happily sell it to somebody that likes them.

If it is down to replacing the grip I'm sure Oly have a big cupboard full.

best wishes

Peter
Peter,

Don;t forget the mirror lockup problem. If it was an intermittent connection in the grip, the mirror would have dropped back again when power was lost. This is proven when I have to remove power to restore the mirror function. I shall learn more on Monday.
In the mean-time, thank you all for supporting me on this and expressing your concerns. Means a lot to me.

Cheers

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 11th October 2008
ndl0071

Peter

I was sorry to read of your current woes with the E3, fingers crossed that you now have the problem identified.

Keep clicking.

All the best.
Neil
Old 11th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndl0071 View Post
Peter

I was sorry to read of your current woes with the E3, fingers crossed that you now have the problem identified.

Keep clicking.

All the best.
Neil
Thanks Neil,

Its not a show stopper. Only one of the problems I have an answer to but lets see what Monday brings

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts

Regarding the HLD-4, I have noticed that there is a little bit of flex in the grip even when it is tightly locked to the camera. It is particularly noticeable if a heavy lens, e.g. 50-200 or OM 300, is on the camera and I am holding it by the grip. You can feel slight movement and hear a bit of a creaking noise as the strain is taken up.

I've never felt the slightest give under the same circumstances with the HLD-2 on the E-1; that is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Sadly, I don't think the HLD-4 is of the same quality

Touch wood, I haven't had any problems and I'm sorry you've had so many. I hope you are able to get your E-3 sorted quickly

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 11th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGG View Post
Regarding the HLD-4, I have noticed that there is a little bit of flex in the grip even when it is tightly locked to the camera. It is particularly noticeable if a heavy lens, e.g. 50-200 or OM 300, is on the camera and I am holding it by the grip. You can feel slight movement and hear a bit of a creaking noise as the strain is taken up.

I've never felt the slightest give under the same circumstances with the HLD-2 on the E-1; that is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Sadly, I don't think the HLD-4 is of the same quality

Touch wood, I haven't had any problems and I'm sorry you've had so many. I hope you are able to get your E-3 sorted quickly

Cheers,

JohnGG
Thanks John. I have been using the grip since it was given away by Oly last year. This is the first time I have had this problem. The previous reset problem was confimed by Oly when they only had the camera back for repair. I still have an open mind about this. We shall see.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I wonder why you use the grip, I too got one in the promotion, but the e-3 is a chunky enough beast not to need it for balance. The battery warning indicator comes in way in advance of the need to change the battery. It really isn't any great advantage in shooting portrait.

It really is, in my opinion, just an added complication with no redeeming advantage.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 12th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
I wonder why you use the grip, I too got one in the promotion, but the e-3 is a chunky enough beast not to need it for balance. The battery warning indicator comes in way in advance of the need to change the battery. It really isn't any great advantage in shooting portrait.

It really is, in my opinion, just an added complication with no redeeming advantage.

Nick
Hi Nick,

I find that the extra depth provided by fitting the grip makes the handling of the camera easier (I cannot imagine using a Micro 4/3 camera!). The extra battery is also extremely useful. Having shot with the Bigma fitted late afternoon, it reminds me just how much the handling is improved with the grip.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 12th October 2008
tlove

Peter

I'm so sorry to hear of your E-3 problems - you have my complete sympathy!

I've not had my E-3 to use much at all this summer, as I've had about as much luck as you. I got my E-3 back in December, and got the free grip as well. This didn't work with the E-3 from the outset. The grip went back to Oly, came back and still didn't work. Took the lot back to where I got it from, they couldn't make it work either. All went back to Oly again, who confirmed problems with both grip and E-3 . Returned 'repaired', still none of it worked (it's July by now), so Olympus agreed to replace the lot.

New camera is fantastic, but a suspected problem with the Bigma now manifested itself in it's full glory. After speaking to Sigma, they asked me to send the camera and lens to them. It's now been confirmed that there is a faulty chip in the lens. They 'hope' to return it to me next week .

At least I've managed to get hold of an E-1 now, so I'm not completely stuck for taking photos any more, but I think I'd have gone completely bonkers by now if I didn't!
Old 12th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlove View Post
Peter

I'm so sorry to hear of your E-3 problems - you have my complete sympathy!

I've not had my E-3 to use much at all this summer, as I've had about as much luck as you. I got my E-3 back in December, and got the free grip as well. This didn't work with the E-3 from the outset. The grip went back to Oly, came back and still didn't work. Took the lot back to where I got it from, they couldn't make it work either. All went back to Oly again, who confirmed problems with both grip and E-3 . Returned 'repaired', still none of it worked (it's July by now), so Olympus agreed to replace the lot.

New camera is fantastic, but a suspected problem with the Bigma now manifested itself in it's full glory. After speaking to Sigma, they asked me to send the camera and lens to them. It's now been confirmed that there is a faulty chip in the lens. They 'hope' to return it to me next week .

At least I've managed to get hold of an E-1 now, so I'm not completely stuck for taking photos any more, but I think I'd have gone completely bonkers by now if I didn't!
Thea,

I was aware of your problem with the Bigma but did not know about the E3/ Grip issue. Looks like its two of us that have had a replacement camera from Oly.
I hung on to the E500 (Thank goodness) when I purchased the E3. Its kept me sane when the E3 or Lens have been faulty. I have to say though, the E500 is in a class of its own for reliability. Its been heavily used with no problems (touch wood). This is what I had expected from the E3.

Cheers for now

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 12th October 2008

Re: E3 problems - again! Update

Went out as usual today and spent an hour taking photographs without the Grip fitted. Not a single failure whilst it had been easily repeatable before.

From this I conclude that you guys were correct in suggesting the grip was the cause of the unexpected resets. Thank you.

Lets see what Oly thinks about both problems tomorrow. John you may be correct in suggesting the extra strain of the Bigma could be causing the eventual failure but, the way I hold the camera and lens makes me wonder why this should be. When carrying the combination between shoots, the lens rests in the crook of my left arm - No strain. When shooting, my left hand supports the weight of the lens/camera and my right hand only steadies the combination and operates the controls - No strain.

Let you know what Oly says

Cheers

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 12th October 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts
Re: E3 problems - again! Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Went out as usual today and spent an hour taking photographs without the Grip fitted. Not a single failure whilst it had been easily repeatable before.

From this I conclude that you guys were correct in suggesting the grip was the cause of the unexpected resets. Thank you.

Lets see what Oly thinks about both problems tomorrow. John you may be correct in suggesting the extra strain of the Bigma could be causing the eventual failure but, the way I hold the camera and lens makes me wonder why this should be. When carrying the combination between shoots, the lens rests in the crook of my left arm - No strain. When shooting, my left hand supports the weight of the lens/camera and my right hand only steadies the combination and operates the controls - No strain.

Let you know what Oly says

Cheers

Peter
Peter

It very strange but there does seem to be something amiss with the power management between the grip and the E3.That why I asked in an earlier post what firmware you were on.I seem to remember that 1.1 addressed something to do with the grip.
I have the grip attached all the time and have no problems.

Good luck tomorrow

Let us know how you get on.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr