Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 9th October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,699 Times in 769 Posts
Message from Olympus UK re E-M1 supply issues

I have been in touch again with Olympus' Mark Thackara and here is a message for everyone who is experiencing delays and uncertainties regarding the supply of their E-M1 plus lenses/accessories:

I agree it is all frustrating but demand is higher than expected and whilst communication needs improving we are working on this.

1 - It is only week or so since we started shipping

2- We did not promise anywhere that I am aware of (and I have asked about news letters and web etc) that on-line shop orders would get preference.

3 - We started to ship to dealers and to initial on-line orders at the same time with based on the proportion of customer pre-orders.

4 - Re our plans for dealers: The overwhelming emphasis in our planning is to try and promote a healthy dealer sector - how else will people see product? Giving people the option to order on-line direct is something we have done for some time as do most other companies. Some people prefer it and it gives choice. The sectors will co-exist.

5 - The whole payment process was based on the pre-launch delivery information i.e: it was thought that orders could be fulfilled within the 30 day banking guidelines. Some deliveries have slipped and if people would prefer a refund and to re-order - they can. I am told we were trying to do the best for those who ordered early to avoid missing out. A single unit I am aware of slipped through the net to a branch without a pre-order but for the vast majority, things are shipping to orders.

Whatever happens we will ensure no one who has a genuine order misses out on the promotion - I can't say much more than that.

I want to personally emphasise that the e-group was conceived by myself and Mark to be a conduit through which Mark and his colleagues could assist Olympus customers and I think the track record of the site speaks for itself. Many members have been helped through the site over the 6-7 years we have been running and the aim continues.

We've been through similar new model supply issues in the past and I am not aware of anyone here who has been left unfairly high and dry. We aren't going to change now!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
ashtonsd (9th October 2013), ayewing (9th October 2013), benpanesar (9th October 2013), Bikie John (9th October 2013), bilbo (9th October 2013), birdboy (9th October 2013), catkins (9th October 2013), cliff (9th October 2013), daved (10th October 2013), G2EWS (9th October 2013), George Dorn (9th October 2013), Graham_of_Rainham (12th October 2013), Grumpy Hec (9th October 2013), jamsa (9th October 2013), JohnGG (10th October 2013), Melaka (10th October 2013), Mrs T (22nd October 2013), Olybirder (9th October 2013), OM USer (9th October 2013), paullus (13th October 2013), Phill D (10th October 2013), photo_owl (9th October 2013), Pierre L (9th October 2013), rsh1960 (10th October 2013), Shaw (9th October 2013), Simon (9th October 2013), snaarman (9th October 2013), StephenL (9th October 2013), Wee man (9th October 2013), wellyboot (9th October 2013), yorky (30th December 2013), Zuiko (9th October 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
bredman (9th October 2013)
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Re: Message from Olympus UK re E-M1 supply issues

Well done and thank you Ian and Mark,

This is the communication we needed.

Best regards

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to G2EWS For This Useful Post:
jamsa (9th October 2013)
Ian (9th October 2013)
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts

Thank you Ian and Mark.
Must say I love this forum, not sure about other brands but one of the head honchos in Oly UK is in touch with ordinary users like me.

But it is like waiting for Christmas for my new toy
paullus (13th October 2013)
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts

Thank you Ian and Mark. The message is reassuring, and it illustrates one aspect of the benefits the forum brings.

John
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

As said in another thread on this forum, I'm quite relieved to have a bit of time to relax, read up and trying to learn what new techniques 'manic November' will bring to me - bizarrely, it feels a bit like being in the dentist's waiting room waiting for the inevitable filling, only to find that they have a lovely reclining chair, a bright light that feels like the sun, a photo on the wall of a lovely beach and relaxing chill-out music . . . . the anticipation and the mind games beforehand are hopefully the worst part of the whole event!!
So far, my only 'bugbear' with Olympus is that they have stopped producing four thirds cameras - hopefully the E-M1 will prove to me how wrong my fears of change are, with the back-up that the new Pro lenses will prove that the long history of top quality Olympus four thirds mount glass is being successfully transferred to micro four thirds.
Anyhow, many thanks Mark for the update via Ian and this Forum - communication with the loyal supporters is and will continue to be the key to Olympus's future / continued success! Hopefully, by Christmas, we will all be forgetting about 'pre-orders', 'supply and demand' and 'promotion', and concentrating on something else!!
Regards
Chris
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Hopefully, by Christmas, we will all be forgetting about 'pre-orders', 'supply and demand' and 'promotion', and concentrating on something else!!
Like taking pictures perhaps!
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
Like taking pictures perhaps!
Or suddenly remembering that I've double booked myself for relatives and in-laws - nothing like a bit of crisis management at Christmas time!!
Regards
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to catkins For This Useful Post:
bilbo (9th October 2013)
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Thanks for the update Mark and Ian. Reading between Mark's lines, it sounds like dealers are getting priority over the online shop, and haven't heard of anyone who has had an E-M1 related delivery from the latter. I ordered late from the shop, so am not expecting it yet, but those ordered early will hopefully get a fair allocation soon.

Bruce
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Thanks Mark and Ian. Although I have yet to order, it is good to know that Olympus UK are engaging with members of this forum direct.

I have some information about another combined venture that I will share with you soon

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I look forward to some more communication from here....ie for example when you ship the next batch out....the kits lens arrivals and anticipated despatch etc. but thank you for this update.
I was close to cancelling the order and looking at other formats , brands and deals but I am still swaying to the E-M1 atm.
I don't spend just short of £2,000 lightly and my wife wont let me forget it so the sooner she sees something in my hand for it the safer and happier I will be!
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
... and my wife wont let me forget it so the sooner she sees something in my hand for it the safer and happier I will be!
Tell her she can have her hair done again
The Following User Says Thank You to bilbo For This Useful Post:
jamsa (9th October 2013)
rsh1960 (10th October 2013)
Old 9th October 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
Tell her she can have her hair done again
I bet that happens anyway and that the price is "secret". It is in my house anyway

Hec
jamsa (9th October 2013), Wee man (22nd October 2013)
Wee man (14th October 2013)
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Is it possible to discover why my "day one" EM-1 body/grip/mmf3 order is now due an 8th Nov delivery?

Simon
Old 9th October 2013
Alpha1

I am just pleased that I pre-ordered through a reliable premier dealer. Thank you.
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 946 Times in 363 Posts

I had a phone call from Camera World today. "Mr Hall?", "Yes?" "Did you order an Olympus EM-1 from us?"?, 'Yes I did", (Heart thumping, it's in I thought).
"Well it's not in yet", "Poo".
"Did you know you can get a spare battery, ETC from Olympus if you registered?', 'Yes I did and I have".

Must say I thought it was a bit early, not due in till November, but did get just a little excited when he said who he was.

But what good customer service I thought. They didn't have to remind me to register.
It's no wonder I will shop with them in future.
G2EWS (9th October 2013), rsh1960 (10th October 2013)